Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I wear gloves only for moving materials around, like lumber. I know this has been belabored enough, but those who say that wearing gloves is a risk are 100% correct, and there is no glove that one can wear around a power tool that makes it safer for the user or not inhibit some of the natural ability of your sense of touch.

None.

And you can take that to the bank, or your hand to the ER.

Your choice...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lonnie
Last Name: Barber
City: Manchester
State: Tennessee
Zip/Postal Code: 37355
Focus: Build
Don if you've never worn a form fitting glove then sir you know not of which you speak. That is a reality. You can take it to the bank. I know this is not a popular position. But I've been using them for thirty years. Maybe they're not for everybody. But not knowing for absolute certainty what your speaking of leaves everything you say up to question as to the validity of your words. What was so seventy years ago is not so today. Be sensible in all things. Will save you that trip to the ER. To follow your thinking no-one who goes bare handed has never cut off a part of their hand. The premise is ridiculous as belaboring this point any further. If you have not done it. Then you are ignorant on the subject. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

HTTPS://www.osha.gov/doc/... This is OSHA saying gloves and safety shoes should be worn when operating electric power tools. Just saying guys. I know where your coming from. Been there done that. 30 yrs ago I became aware of more modern things. That are in fact safe around power tools. Testes were made where gloves were placed on a stick and stuck into a spinning blade. Cut a hole in them but did not yank into the blade. That was one guys test. OSHA says differently though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:39 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Sonksen
City: PORTLAND
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97216-2013
Lonnie, it's fine if you want to wear gloves, it's fine if I don't. I've been through several OSHA inspections and they've never said anything about using gloves on our equipment at the shop, not once. I am taking machining classes at community college right now and they are expressly forbidden. I'm not going to wear gloves when I work and you can't make me!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

No intention of doing so just making you aware of what OSHA says on the subject. John you have the right to do anything you want. Not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just saying that in today's day and age things are different then when these definite no-no's were first established. I was a carpenter and the old guys at the time used hand saws because the electrics had yet to be invented. When they came about the only gloves at the time were unsafe so it became a rule. Things change is all I'm saying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
I'm still at loss concerning gloves - hauling plywood, sometimes, but in a shop????

Maybe we should let this lie for now.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Russell
State: Michigan USA
Focus: Repair
Lonnie, I am afraid you are alone on your argument to wear gloves while working with machinery. It may be your theory but common sense says otherwise.

I know FIRST hand that wearing gloves and machinery do not play together at all. A number of years ago I was helping a friend on his truck. It was a pumper truck that sprayed water. The pump was run off of a PTO which was under the console of this truck(it was like a semi truck). His mechanic had worked on the truck the night before and my friend didn't know that he had not latched the door to the inspection plate. I jumped up into the truck and the inspection plate had jiggled loose and the door was open, my hand went into the hole and the PTO grabbed my glove and sucked my hand around the PTO. And Yes I was wearing skin tight drivers gloves. I just happen to wear those gloves because it was mid fall and a bit chilly out. I have no recollection of how I did it but I managed to pull my hand free but not after it broke 1 finger, 2 bones in my hand and 2 bones in my wrist not to say my hand was beat to hell and back. I was just plane lucky I didn't loose my whole hand.

So I can tell you from experience that wearing gloves is a very bad thing around machinery and whirly things... Even skin tight ones.

I can guarantee that had I not been wearing gloves I would have probably only come out of it with a few cuts and bruises but would not have broken all those bones in my hand. BTW, the PTO was only about an inch in diameter but didn't hesitate to rip that glove right off of my hand and wrap it around the PTO. I actually saved the glove and had it for a number of years hanging in my shop right where I could see it. I wish I still had it because I would take a picture of it to show you it was very similar to the gloves you wear.

You keep trying to make the argument that it is recommended by anyone who is into safety but I am having a very hard time buying that. If you think it is safe and you are confident that you will never have an accident then by all means keep wearing them, you have been lucky all these years there is no reason to believe you luck will change. It isn't really about skill or knowing what you are doing... That is why they are called accidents, and they happen to even the most skilled people when they least expect it.

So... Take it from a first hand experience... Gloves + Machinery = Bad News

From all the responses you have gotten, I don't think you are convincing anyone but yourself otherwise. I was hesitant to even post a response because I am a bit embarrassed to even admit that it happened to me but I think it serves the point well.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Lonnie

Got to thinking about the OSHA reference you supplied. I did find a short reference to gloves and power equipment in the context of a construction site - circular saws, grinders, hydraulic equipment, etc. So I dug a little further and searched "protective clothing woodworking" and came up with

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/woodw ... a3157.html

dated 1999. Here is what they say about gloves - this is a cut-and-paste from about 1/2 way through this very long publication:

"Protective gloves are the primary means available for direct hand protection. Extra-long gauntlets or sleeves attached to the gloves can extend protection up the arm. However, the appropriateness of glove use in the woodworking workplace should be carefully reviewed on a task-by-task basis. Gloves should not be worn when operating woodworking equipment due to the potential for getting caught in moving parts."

Be careful what you wish for.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Bob sorry you got injured. Ed I'm not wishing for anything. Perhaps someone who would stick their hand into that PTO would be less injured if they weren't wearing gloves. I'm not about to find out. The only thing I'm saying is that things have changed over the years. What's safe for one person may not be for another. If you stick your hand into a spot it shouldn't be your going to get hurt gloves or no gloves. Mine do not have thingies hanging from then to get caught. You saw the fellow in the Martin video. Cuts those necks 8 hrs a day maybe somebody should tell him he's acting in a dangerous manner. It's the hands inside the gloves that mean whether it's safe or not. I don't buy into the fact that nobody not wearing gloves has never been injured by an electrical tool. I'll be willing to bet that many many more ungloved hands have been injured then gloved hands. Why? Because it's been known that gloves are dangerous around power tools. Every body knows that. Big floppy gloves. But the kind I wear are not so. Driving gloves have no fingers in them this destroying the integrity of the glove and leaving a place for something to latch onto. I'm not proposing some one else do it. I just know what works for me. This thread is about what frightens you. Well operating electrical tools with or without gloves don't frighten me. I approach it like I would a rattle snake. Very carefully. I'm not going to say use gloves. I really don't care. I know what works for me. This is still America. You may think it's foolish to wear gloves. My wisdom tells me that a glove is an inanimate object. It's the hand inside that makes the mistake. To be honest I'd feel perfectly safe running my power saws wearing a tuxedo Bow Tie and white gloves. It's what you do inside that costume that determines the outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Eat Drink

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Doug
Last Name: Balzer
City: Calgary
State: Alberta
What freaks me out, tool wise? The kind that just can't let a debate rest but needs to feel some measure of pale victory.

Don't let fear or common sense stop you from trying to build something

These users thanked the author Doug Balzer for the post (total 2): klooker (Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am) • Pmaj7 (Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Lonnie, I am just glad I wasn't hurt to the point it effected me for life. I feel I was a very lucky guy. I didn't purposely stick my hand in the PTO, I thought I was leaning on the console and my hand slipped. That is exactly how accidents happen, no one cuts a finger off on a table saw on purpose. A split second distraction is all it takes

Quote:
I know what works for me. This is still America. You may think it's foolish to wear gloves. My wisdom tells me that a glove is an inanimate object. It's the hand inside that makes the mistake. To be honest I'd feel perfectly safe running my power saws wearing a tuxedo Bow Tie and white gloves. It's what you do inside that costume that determines the outcome.

You are very correct, it is still America and you are free to do as you please. Maybe it should be left at that. It seems you continue to defend your position which brings on more comments so this glove issue keeps coming back.

I don't personally care if you do wear gloves or as you say a "tuxedo Bow Tie and white gloves" but I would like to get a picture of that... laughing6-hehe That would be worth framing.

This issue is like asking what food you like. Everyone has their own favorite and has learned to appreciate it more over the years. No one will convince a broccoli hater to love it or the other way around. So sometimes it is best to just state an opinion and let other state theirs. I am sure no one will convince you to stop wearing gloves and you won't convince anyone to wear them.

Cheers,
Bob

These users thanked the author RusRob for the post: Lonnie J Barber (Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Doug Balzer wrote:
What freaks me out, tool wise? The kind that just can't let a debate rest but needs to feel some measure of pale victory.

Wow,, I think that is what I was trying to say... I just don't know how to do it in so few words. laughing6-hehe

Cheers,
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
DriftwoodGuitars wrote:
When I tell someone "I build acoustic guitars", and they say "I build guitars too" only to find out they make electric guitars. Nothing against electrics, but making acoustics vs electrics is a whole different can of worms. I won't get into my reasons, but I think most of you know where I'm coming from.

Wow, that was not polite. Especially from a new member.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Lonnie J Barber (Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

+1Mr dz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

dzsmith wrote:
DriftwoodGuitars wrote:
When I tell someone "I build acoustic guitars", and they say "I build guitars too" only to find out they make electric guitars. Nothing against electrics, but making acoustics vs electrics is a whole different can of worms. I won't get into my reasons, but I think most of you know where I'm coming from.

Wow, that was not polite. Especially from a new member.

poor form for a newbie. [clap] arrogant, assumptive, -typical.

i suggest mr alvarado that you go have your chakra's balanced and learn some humility.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I sincerely hope Mr. Alvarado continues to post. His builds are fantastic.
I build electrics because I do not yet have the skills to attempt an acoustic.
I enjoy seeing the acoustic builds and learn a lot from the forum that I can apply to electrics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Lonnie J Barber wrote:
Jim I appreciate your concern. But there is something I am aware of that you may not be. Your sense of feel emanates from your brain not your finger tips. As far as that goes if you have callouses on your hands or if they're rough in any way then there is no way your sense of feel can compare to a person who protects their hands from such things. You see they have baby soft hands under those gloves. Using your theory the person who doesn't protect his hands has much less chance of "Feel" then the fella who covers his hands then if you cannot see with your eyes or know with your brain then it takes only a split second to remove your gloves. Then you can stroke it all you want too. Not being facetious here just reality is and theories is not .

OK I just have to ask. Do you wear them when you play guitar to keep the callouses at bay? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 am 
Koa
Koa

I have worn them while playing my fiddle. My brother wore his while playing his guitar. I'm sad to say since I've been building my finger callouses have gone somewhere else. It's not that big of a deal. The gloves are in no way a hindrance to the mobility of your fingers.
If you are a player,as I figure most on here are,you'll know that not playing for any length of time will cause your callouses to go away. I know people don't understand my viewpoint on this subject. That's because they've never tried these gloves. What more do I need to to say? Ignorance is bliss. I didn't invent that saying. Often wondered what it meant and to whom it pertained. Now I know:0)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ignorance is (ecstatic emoticon). I didn't invent that saying. Often wondered what it meant and to whom it pertained. Now I know:0)

I am ignorant of how to pump out a septic tank - in fact you might say I am even ecstatic that I don't know how to do that. So I guess it pertains to me.

How long can we keep this going - let's try for a record

Wear gloves - 1
Don't wear gloves - everybody else

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've heard enough about gloves. We all know where everyone stands...

A thing that freaks me out:
I was cutting things a bit close on my thickness sander earlier and got pretty freaked out as an image flashed before my eyes of one of my fingers bent backwards... I switch the machine off. Then ten minutes later I nearly tore my thumbnail off whilst cutting a long piece of tape on the floor and bashing it into my boot! Nails coming off freak me out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:59 am 
Koa
Koa

Well as I said ignorance is bliss. Glad you find comfort in it. Sorry about your septic tank. Could give a an outlook on life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

Imageyou ask to let it drop but ya keep bringing it back up. I had let it drop. Just responding. But had to post this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Look what happened to Michael Jackson. And he wore only one glove.

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 pm) • Nick Royle (Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I think this thread has about run its course..

Can we at least agree on that?

Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next