Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:42 am 
I've been looking into the mini--I heard goods things about it. Does anyone have one that can comment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup.

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14790&KW= cyclone#forumTop

Go Here.

The secret to these things is a perfect seal on the trash can receptacle, and static electricity. Bon jour!

I'm so convinced of the system, I ordered Big Brother too. Should be hittin' the Arkansas State line today from Picken's SC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Scott, also look here:

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14526&KW= cyclone#forumTop

This thread alone got 1153 hits and is the one I determined to order mine from Ed, based on Tim's results.

Add the 572 hits for My Little Dust Sucker, and 1153 hits for My Favorite-ist New Tool, that show's a wee bit of interest in getting the dust out of our shops: over 1700 hits on two recent threads. My guess is Ed is adding a new assembly employee or a new shift? Hope so. They really work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14526&KW= cyclone#forumTop

EDIT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
Scott,

I followed Bruce's advice and got mine delivered this past Friday. I spent some time Saturday making the base and fired it up on Sunday. Works like a dream!

I'm anxious to hook it up to my thickness sander and have at it. I have continually been frustrated with trying to keep the filter from clogging on my shop-vac and this looks like the best solution. I will post a few photos later this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Walden
City: Bartlesville
State: Oklahoma
Zip/Postal Code: 74006
Focus: Build

I'm working on mine as well.  The MDF parts have gotten a seal coat of clear poly and the MDF circle I band sawed and routed just fits the HD 5 gal bucket. 

I bought a $40 Rigid vac and the bottom of the tub has a place to cut out for the suction on the top of the cyclone.  I'm concerned about the clearance between the bottom of the tub and the filter on the vac.  Maybe some modifications...........

Thanks to Bruce for the idea of stacking!  I'll post a pic or two soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:03 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

On Tim's and Bruce's advice I bought one and hooked it up like Bruce did. It worked great.

Then I tore it apart and bought a 55 gallon barrel for the bottom receptical. I thought it would help with the tipping issue, and I got one of those caddys that carry a barrel so I could push it around the shop easier.

I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:33 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bill
Last Name: Greene
City: Kings Mountain
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28086
Um, photos gentlemen, photos please. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Pictures of Bruce's version are in the link above.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bill
Last Name: Greene
City: Kings Mountain
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28086
[QUOTE=WaddyT] Pictures of Bruce's version are in the link above.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but what about Brock, Steve, Peter...and the undoubted hordes of other closet cyclone users?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sorry, I just had to share this. My new one just came on the UPS truck. Amazingly, my wife hasn't said a word.....   

I suppose I should slip this stuff out the door and down to the shop?

Thanks Ed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If I brought *THAT* home, I would have to move out.

I dont know if that is a cute daughter, or a mighty lucky son. Either way, they make a handsome couple!

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:05 pm 

I will shoot a pic. My shop is in shambles right now. Cleaning up.   

Bruce, why did you get a second one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Brock this is the 1800 ClearVue. The Mini is great for clean up and small tools. Remember I do a ton of resaw on that 18 inch Laguna plus lots of sanding on the 25 inch Dual Drum General. Dust is killing me, literally. So, beginning tomorrow, I'm trashing my 1500 CFM Delta Bagger and putting the 2HP motor and impeller blower on this baby. Also, I'm ducting the exhaust outside to release any microdust into the wild. If the 2HP won't cut it, then I'm saving up for a 5HP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

BRUCE (that's right I'm yelling at you my friend)

Don't run the exhaust air out of the shop unless you have a really really big humidifier and can replace all that nice warm air you'll be sucking out of your shop as well. Do you know how much more energy you're going to be using (which equals $ you'll be spending) just to keep the heat up as well as the humidity? You'll pay for those Wynn 9L300BL Filters ($160 for two plus shipping) in no time if you just keep the air in your shop. Just trying to help my friend. Or you can make your own baghouse (can't find a good picture for you of what a baghouse is but I'll scan a picture from a book I have and email it to you) and keep the air in your shop. The other thing you'd need is some filtered inlet air to replace the air you'll be taking out of your shop. Remember, that air will be what ever temperature it is outside as well as dry or moist and you'll have to bring that air up to your shop specs.

Also you have to know that cyclones are designed (inlet, body diameter and cone slope/length) to be used with certain sized impellers and specific HP motors to turn those impellers. That cyclone you just bought is designed to have a 15" impeller to make it the 1800 cfm. I think your 1200 cfm delta would have a 11.5" impeller. I would too would give your old dc a try on it, but it might not be up to the task, who knows.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What do y'all use for the vacuum hose between the cyclone and the tool and what fasteners do you use to keep it attached?

It seems like every hand power tool I own has a different size dust port and I would like to have a hose that is flexcible enough to not be a hinderance but strong enough to last me for a good long time.

Any good suggestions for these hoses?

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Rod, yeah, I hear you. The main thing for me right now, I mean, right NOW is to get my shop dust free. I'm putting in an expensive dust eradicator. I still have to eat.

So, by piece-mealing the Cyclone system, I can swallow the expense. I've toyed with "getting a better working system" for a while. I've actually been putting a 20 inch box fan in the window, while opening another window near my current 9 foot tall, two bag Delta. So doing the same with a cyclone will not make much difference.

It's not like I run the dust collector all day every day, quite the contrary. Plus... now with remote control of the switch, it will run slightly less time. So this is a stop-gap, but immediate step to a healthy shop.

I can remember when I was a kid, helping one of my Dad's workers feed a huge moulding machine 1 by 4's. They had a huge cyclone setup outside, with huge pipes going out there and a motor and fan that would fill the back of my pickup.

They never once thought about RH or dust masks.... I guess if I did my work outside under an shed roof it might be a bit healthier.

I also remember a trip through the shop at LMI with Chris Herrod. Very clean shop, don't remember anyone wearing a dust mask, but they may have been. It's just time to do something for my health. Thanks to Tim McKnight, cause he started all this trying to care for his wife, Mary.

Ken, to answer your question, what size ducting, I'm using 6 inch all the way to the tools. Hopefully I'll be able to cobble together some nice Blast Gates similar to Todd Stocks.

I'm using a combination of 6" Sewer and Drain for all the straight sections. When the drops occur, I'm changing over to 6" Corrugated Black Plastic Hancor Flexible Drain Pipe and Fittings. I looked at many shops online at ClearVueCyclones.com, they have a great Forum for Photos of various shops, a gallery, my minicyclone setup is up there now.

What I saw in those, were the guys making a couple mistakes, one was doing 4 inch drops, the other was using Tees or Ninties. For air flow, the curves need to be gentle. In plumbing is a part called a sweep combo. This is the part lacking in Sewer and Drain fittings which would be perfect for dust collection. They also need to add a sweep 90 to the mix.

The corrugated, while rippled on the inside, should provide a great pathway for entrained dust particles. That stuff will be screaming toward the cyclone on it's way out of my shop.

I do plan on using a little bit of 4 inch at the machines, but it will immediately feed into a 6 inch line at the machine. I'm talking my 25" dual drum sander which has two four inch ports currently, and also plan doing that at my big bandsaw, which has one four inch port, and I plan to cut another or make one near the table where the blade enters. Kind of like what Hesh was showing with his red plastic cup.

So, that's what's on the horizon this morning. Thanks Rod for shouting at me, maybe a bunch of others will hear you, and think about their own situations. I have grandkids to think about, coming up in March!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Ken, check out This Hose Kit at Woodcraft.  I have this hose, and I have been using it now for almost 10 years.  I have stepped on it, left it in the attic at 120* and below freezing, and have beat it to death.  It still looks like it did the day I bought it.  No dimples, no bends.  The ends are a little scuffed, but still great.  It is a 12' x 1 1/2" ID/ 2 1/4 OD.  Works with most shop vacs, and works with my Dust Deputy just fine.  I keep my Dust Deputy in a corner behind the drill press, and the Vacuum is under a bench.  I use the 2" hose that came with the Shop Vac between the DD and the VAC, and this hose on the inlet to the DD.  I just move the hose around to the different connections.  It works fine for me and my smaller bench top tools.  Duct tape on the input and output of the DD make for excellent hose fits.  Two of these hose kits and a connector would give you 24' of reach.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:01 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That's a nice kit. I'm glad you posted that Waddy. A great idea popped into my head. Seeing that hose, it made me realize I already had one. Only it's light blue and I keep it out by the pool in the summers. My pool hose would work in my shop all day long. Guess who sells them? Walmart, seasonal though.

This is a good price 29 bucks plus you get the attachments. Next time I use my Mini, I may just try out my pool hose and see if it connects, looks just like this.