It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dave Higham wrote:
One or two people have said they would be more interested in a section on instrument repair. What they mean I think is acoustic instrument repair. That's fair enough, because that's what interests them but that's not going to attract people interested in solid body electric guitars (and basses).

Actually, that's not so for myself, and am certain the vast majority of repair folk here would say the same. I specialize pretty much in everything fretted or plucked - electric, acoustic, guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, resonator - there are plenty of others, but these are what is constantly flowing through my shop. The acoustic six string guitar may constitute up to a third of my overall business, but I work on plenty of everything else and I know that most of the other repair folk here do as well.

As to the amount of classical builders participating here, there are few, but I think it's just a matter of statistics. I imagine that for every one classical made in the world there has to be around a hundred steel strings. Following the relative popularity in the lower single digit percentage, the amount of classicals seen here probably reflect general trends fairly well. Electrics certainly don't, but I think this may be a "chicken or the egg" situation. Is there no electric oriented forum here because it's not discussed enough to warrant one, or is it discussed so little because there's not a forum with a more electric atmosphere? Both, I would guess.

And a luthier isn't a guy who makes lutes - I think a girl making violins or ukuleles would fit the definition just as well. :lol:

This laughing emoticon by the way, looks a bit nervous or scared if you ask me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I think this may be a "chicken or the egg" situation. Is there no electric oriented forum here because it's not discussed enough to warrant one, or is it discussed so little because there's not a forum with a more electric atmosphere?

I think you're right on the second count David. People who are interested in electrics don't contribute because they don't see anything going on in that area.

And a luthier isn't a guy who makes lutes - I think a girl making violins or ukuleles would fit the definition just as well.

Going into pedant-mode. Luthier is originally a French word for a man who makes an instrument called a luth. A girl would be a luthière. In France you can now only call yourself a luthier, strictly speaking, if you make instruments of the violin family. Otherwise you're a 'facteur d'instruments'. But they all call themselves luthiers now. Even the ones who make accordions. I've made a couple of those too but I just call myself a 'bricoleur'. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 pm 
Mattia, the MIMF is so strictly moderated that I withdrew my participation there because of Deb's paranoid and fascist policies re. posting "commercial" URLs. She has succeeded in making information such a pain to get that I will not participate. Nobody should have to Google a supplier or a source when such resources are mentioned on a forum on-line. She dared pull my posting of Frank Ford's incredible http://www.frets.com site as being too "commercial" to be deserving of posting a link. Yeah, Frank's just rolling in the dough ripping off luthiers with that site, alright!

I'm all in favor of an electric section here. I've been an electric luthier since 1967, and I'm just getting started...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:02 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Not "Guest", but happy to be known as the author of that post. Rick Turner here...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

Rick Turner Gui wrote:
Not "Guest", but happy to be known as the author of that post. Rick Turner here...

Hey. not to waylay this post, but are you having trouble with your account? I notice your name is different. If so, email me and I can probably help you if you just have a basic password problem

(the same goes for anyone else who can't get their password to work)..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I would love to get rid of the last name "Gui", but I don't see anything that allows me to change the new stage name I was given! I did change my password...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've got the templates made for my first try at an electric, and will be starting shortly. It is based on the Gibson CS-336: a double cutaway, semi-hollow body with " '57 Classic Humbuckers". I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but that didn't stop me from building acoustics. :lol: I'll be asking questions.

Ron

Ron Wisdom

Somewhere in the middle of Arkansas......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Harrington
Focus: Build
I build both. Same forum OK with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:04 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm encouraged with the number of posts and hits in such a short time. After a day I thought I'd try to summarize the salient features that I have gleaned from the posts. If I missed something, please chime in:

1) Interest...There appears to be a significant number of current members who would participate in Electric Issues. There are some concerns that we would attract an undesireable crowd. IMO, MIMF has a very strong, serious and well-behaved group of electric affecionados...we should strive for a similarly-disposed clientele. Perhaps our hosts can enforce anything that becomes blatantly offensive and over the line with a series of sanctions culminating in banishment. That's why Lance & Brock get the big bucks! :roll: On the other hand, we will attract more members...and quite possibly more sponsors. We will be discussing pickups, hardware, amps, etc., etc. and that will open up more buying potential from the members thus attracting more advertisers.

2) Segmentation... I'm not sure there really is a consensus on whether we should have a separate section or not. For now, I like Brock's opinion that if there is sufficient interest, that he would be willing to establish a separate place for Electric Issues. In the meantime, if there are any questions or presentations regarding the subject, please begin the thread with the word "Electric". That way it will be easier for those interested to read and comment. Also, it will make it easier to find topics that will eventually get archived.

For those who are contemplating the plunge into the "dark side" of guitar building, I would urge you to post your intentions, plans and ideas so that others might learn as well as comment. Just as in acoustic building, many mistakes have been avoided by soliciting the opinions of others before cutting, gluing or assembling. So, for those who are in the camp of establishing a separate section, here's the chance to generate interest. Let's see where it goes.

Feel free to keep the thread going if there are more ideas and comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'll give a vote for an electric section.