It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Spray gun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A question for the experienced finishers here: I'm looking for a spray gun to finish my guitars. I have a 2HP, 4 gallons, 125PSI compressor and won't be finishing more than 2 instruments at any one time. Small budget, I'd like to spend as little as possible ($50 would be ideal). The finish I use is a short-oil varnish, it sprays at the consistency of lacquer, more or less, but flows much slower and nicer (it dries to the touch in about 1 hour). I realize the compressor is small, but I read that some small HVLP guns can do the job. Any advice on a specific model, tip size etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Spray gun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:10 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

laurent, The budget is going to limit you to something like the HF mini HVLP conversion gun. I have to say the packing, needles and tips wear pretty fast but at $50 I assume you expect that. Also i wished you could get them in 1.0 or 1.2mm flow sets but unfortunately the only come in 1.4mm. It works ok. the consumption is going to eat up your air supply quick. If you go this way be sure to get a good moisture and oil filter system in line and new and dedicated hose for the gun down stream of the filters.

I also have to say I recently bought a new Q4 multi stage turbine HVLP system. the best $500 I have spent in a while. I no longer have to worry with compressor cycling or moisture/oil issues Fugii has out a new 3 stage called the mini Q3 that is more than good enough for what we spray and if you shop around you can find it for around $300 The both use the same gun and can be ordered with or add on several different flow sets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michael, do you know if the Fuji HVLP type systems work well with the catalyzed polyester type finishes. I'm not sure if the warm air from the turbine would mess anything up or not. Just wondering, I'm thinking about trying some of McFaddens polyester sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
I use the Wagner 3 stage finisher. I like that it has less overspray. Bigger gun though and thinking of getting the smaller size. I am building a small area to place it in and eliminate some of the noise problems the turbine units have.
My old boss used the HF gun on compressor for years. He changed the last bit I was there to another style of gun, and not sure what brand it was. I don't know if he continues to use it or went back to the HF unit. All I know is what I seen. It worked well or him on many, many guitars, and I would compare his finish to anyone out there. That said, he is absolutely maticulous in his cleaning and care for his equipment. I know the arugements of the HF gun and seen most of them, but for the price and work they will fill the bill for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michael and Stan, what's a HF mini HVLP conversion gun? I did a Google search and came with nothing. What's the brand?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:50 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

laurent wrote:
Michael and Stan, what's a HF mini HVLP conversion gun? I did a Google search and came with nothing. What's the brand?

Harbor Freight's Chicago Industries (made in China not Chicago ;) ) makes two HVPL conversion guns one of them is a mini or detail gun both come with the same 1.4mm nozzle set both one sells for $59 and the mini for $49 but is on sell often for $29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Dave Rector wrote:
Michael, do you know if the Fuji HVLP type systems work well with the catalyzed polyester type finishes. I'm not sure if the warm air from the turbine would mess anything up or not. Just wondering, I'm thinking about trying some of McFaddens polyester sometime.

Dave i am not sure but the air is dry not hot so I doubt it will cause any issues. you culd go to Fuji's web site and ask I am sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Michael. I don't currently have a true HVLP setup but have been considering one and in the mean time I've also gotten interested in the cat poly finishes. Guess I need to make up my mind and make a decision. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

since your compressor is on the margin for doing what you want you will need to make sure you use a 3/8" hose for the air supply as smaller hoses severely restrict the ability for air to flow in them...as long as your compressor is able to supply the CFM of the gun you will be ok...sure, your tank will empty and the compressor will kick on but as long as the machine is capable of just barely keeping up with the required amount of air you will be successful...I'm using a Binks 2001 high pressure gun with the smallest needle and shooting a 12" fan for the furniture I occasionally finish and things are fine...my compressor is a 20 year old Campbell-Hausfeld 2hp (and that is underated) twin tanker and it does the job...

I found the following article to be a good and informative read when I first started such work:

spraying

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:18 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Laurent-
I suggest you consider an option that will do justice to you and your instruments. Asturo, an Italian company, makes really good HVLP guns...I've used 'em for years. They have a "mini" system I use for guitars, the Asturo ECO/Mini. It will be a good fit for you. One, it will work with your compressor, and two, it will give you the flexibility to fully develop your finishing techniques. Plus, it's really high quality.

At $179.00, it far exceeds your $50.00 target. But where did you come up with $50.00? I've seen your work, its quality certainly does not deserve an inferior finish solution.

I'll restrain my rant...give this gun a look and drop me a note if you want more data. Google "Asturo ECO/Mini" and you'll fine the specs.
Take care!
Lofton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks to all for the good advice! I ordered the HF detail gun with an air filter so we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

LoftonHarris wrote:
But where did you come up with $50.00? I've seen your work, its quality certainly does not deserve an inferior finish solution.

Lofton, thanks for your good advice but… I finish my guitars with a brush… Which is totally fine with the varnish I'm using and I love the process. It's easy on the bodies once you get the hang of it, the right varnish consistency and a good brush, a little trickier on the necks because of the curves and angles.
I want to try spraying because it's much faster, and also because the cold prevents me from brushing in the winter. That part of my tiny shop has no insulation, but I still can use it for spraying as long as I bring the guitars in the other room for curing. So a gun may be an intermittent solution, if at all. Or I may get into it, I don't know yet but I sure am on a budget… If I like it and the HF gun dies, I'll purchase a more serious rig, for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

Addam Stark and I both use Sata guns here. I've got an old NR-95 and a Mini Jet; he's got one of the newer 2000 models. They're outrageously expensive and well worth every penny. I've been using the '95 for close to 15 years; I've completely rebuilt it twice, and I replace packings every now and then. These guns are forever if you maintain them, and they spray like a dream.

There are some new guns coming out that I'm going to look at...ones that are conversion HVLP with air pressure assisted gravity cups that will work with the 3M Paint Preparation system. These should better atomize the heavier viscosity polyester that I shoot, but basically I don't have any complaints right now.

Addam shoots a lot of nitro from a pressure pot, and that's the way to go if either nitro or UV is your game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
Rick will the one advise on work also with a turbine system? I have the one that came with the Wagner 3 stage. Not very good, Does the job, but would like to use a mini set up. Also, when you have time, could you post or pm me all materials I need to get for the type of poly finish you use. I know it is around here somewhere, but can't find it right now. TIA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've never bothered with trying any of the turbine systems. The idea of handling that big hose full of hot air just doesn't appeal to me; those guns just look incredibly bulky and awkward to handle. When I'm in full mode, I'm shooting three or four coats of material on a dozen or more instruments in a day. I need easy to handle, and we've got plenty of compressed air here and a great air drying system. I really think we've got the most cost effective poly shooting system there is for doing fewer than 50 to 100 instruments a month. This is something that I am constantly re-evaluating as I see new things come on the market, and I still think I made the right choices, UV or no UV, turbine or gravity feed HVLP, nitro or poly.

I'll tell you, after being an advocate of polyester for a good 17 years, it's interesting to see so many acoustic purists jumping on the band wagon now.

I can also say that when I do buy another spray gun, I'll consider anything up to about $500.00. The value of a truly excellent gun has been proven to me. That Sata of mine has shot about 2,500 instruments now, and there's nothing on it that cannot be replaced as necessary. We've thrown Binks and Sharpe guns in the dumper. I will go get a really cheap gun for shooting Electrodag shielding paint, though!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thumbs up for the Satas here too! It may seem like a big investment up front but in the long run, if you take care of your tools they will pay you back in the long run with reliable performance. I have never regretted spending a little more for a Sata spray gun.