It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
I've made several posts that seemed to disappear. I think that I've figured out what is happening. The new forum pops up a message that says that your post was successful. It only takes a few posts for the user to start ignoring this display and to quickly move on to something else. However, if someone posts while you were typing, it doesn't say the post was successful. Instead is says that I might want to modify my post in light of the new postings. Of course, I've long since started to ignore the message I get when I post and I don't even read this new message. I just wonder what the heck happened to my post.

I think this happened to me 3 or 4 times before I noticed that the forum wouldn't post if other posts came in while I was typing. Now that I know about it it shouldn't be a problem but I'm pretty sure I don't like this feature.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:13 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

i lost several post. Two were quite long and I just got disgusted and said forget it. I hope we can fix this because if I post it is because I have something to say. It is very frustrating to take the time to write a post only to have the software decide it is not worth posting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I thought I was going nuts when I had made posts and they never showed up... maybe it's something else...

Ken H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:00 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Hodges_Guitars wrote:
I thought I was going nuts when I had made posts and they never showed up... maybe it's something else...

Nope it is a software thing. Even if you are posting via a quote, if a post comes in while you are typing you post will be non existent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:10 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

MichaelP wrote:
i lost several post. Two were quite long and I just got disgusted and said forget it. I hope we can fix this because if I post it is because I have something to say. It is very frustrating to take the time to write a post only to have the software decide it is not worth posting.

Yes, but the software didn't just decide not to post it (if I am reading this correctly). It happened due to not reading the warning... right?

I am not trying to be agrumentative, but some things about this software are going to be a little different than the last platform... I think that is to be expected.

If we can flip a switch and turn this off I am cool with that, but I hesitate to get into the code and modify the functionality. We screwed ourselves pretty bad on the WebWiz platform with our upgrades. They ultimately prevented us form upgrading... I want to do my best to avoid that situation again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

In someways it is a useful feature as it gives you the opportunity to see the new post and modify your post to incorporate it. If you don't want to change then you just hit the button to tell it to submit your post as is. I assume that the software won't post until you hit the button and if you forget to and move on then you don't post.

Just another trick for us old dogs to learn.

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I experienced this last week not only with posts but also with PM's that I generated. I emailed Lance...he did some magic and responded by saying to log in again. I did so and have not experienced the problem since.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:29 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Another possibility, although I think that Mike nailed it, is that the software logs you out automatically. I am not sure of this mind you but I have left the puter, come back to a screen where I was going to write a reply, wrote the reply, hit submit, and the post does not happen because I am not logged in anymore and I did not enter a username.

The feature of interrupting your post to tell you that other posters have added something is very welcome here and will tell me in advance if I am addressing something that someone else has already addressed.

BTW - although not related, I am posting this from a Mac but on the Windows side of the Mac via Firefox and all works great!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
JJ Donohue wrote:
I experienced this last week not only with posts but also with PM's that I generated. I emailed Lance...he did some magic and responded by saying to log in again. I did so and have not experienced the problem since.

Wish I knew what I did. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:39 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Dave White wrote:
In someways it is a useful feature as it gives you the opportunity to see the new post and modify your post to incorporate it. If you don't want to change then you just hit the button to tell it to submit your post as is. I assume that the software won't post until you hit the button and if you forget to and move on then you don't post.

Dave I never saw a button to hit. I just saw the warning. the page flashed and all was gone on several occasions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
MichaelP wrote:
Dave White wrote:

Dave I never saw a button to hit. I just saw the warning. the page flashed and all was gone on several occasions.

Michael, that is how the post confirmation works for me too, just a quick flash and the page reloads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lance Kragenbrink wrote:
JJ Donohue wrote:

Wish I knew what I did. :roll:

I just reviewed the email communiques...I was actually instructed to log out first before logging in. It's possible that my issue is totally different from that which others are experiencing. Perhaps it's similar to re-booting a computer...whatdoIknow! :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
When you make a post, it flashes away, then pops the post accepted screen, then takes you back to the completed post in the thread. If someone else posts before yours, then you get the screen that tells you so, and you have the opportunity to change your post. I have done it several times. I have also noticed that some of my posts did not make it to the forum, but I assumed that I missed the someone else posted screen, and I just went back to the main discussion forum without waiting for the system. Now, I'm not sure. I'll have to pay more attention. Sometimes I want to get on to the next topic, and do not read the middle screen. That could be the culprit. Operator Head Space!

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:45 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

WaddyT wrote:
When you make a post, it flashes away, then pops the post accepted screen, then takes you back to the completed post in the thread. If someone else posts before yours, then you get the screen that tells you so, and you have the opportunity to change your post. I have done it several times. I have also noticed that some of my posts did not make it to the forum, but I assumed that I missed the someone else posted screen, and I just went back to the main discussion forum without waiting for the system. Now, I'm not sure. I'll have to pay more attention. Sometimes I want to get on to the next topic, and do not read the middle screen. That could be the culprit. Operator Head Space!

Apparently not always or for everyone as I have had many times where the warning came up but when the screen re-paited, nothing about post excepted or anything else just back to the topic and my post was gone. I understand how it is intended but it is not always working. I have rewritten the majority of long post I have posted in the past several days. Some I rewrote 3 times.

I am sure most of this is just growing pains and there are a lot of features with this package that are definite improvements. But right now I feel like I should have a users manual at my side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

When I write long posts of forums I get in the habit of opening up a Word .doc file and copy and paste what I have written into it before I post. That way if the post dissapears I can do a copy/paste back into the new one rather than re-type.

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Dave White wrote:
When I write long posts of forums I get in the habit of opening up a Word .doc file and copy and paste what I have written into it before I post. That way if the post dissapears I can do a copy/paste back into the new one rather than re-type.

That reminds me of when our company bought the newest MRP program. it was touted as being "ONE-WORLD" MRP program and would simplify our lives, reduce paper work and purchasing, engineering, and manufacturing would work seamlessly.

Well as it turns out It actually increased the data input because it was actually three platforms trying to communicate with each other. Windchill for Engineering JD Edwards for manufacturing and JDE procurement for purchasing. Now instead of inputting the data in to one software we input into one, then have to export that data into two other software packages also instead of having one data record to update when changes happen we have three which means two additional chances to corrupt data. Yes it has many more bell and whistles that are nice to have and provide nice insite for those using it to view info, but the trade off is more data management time for those of us that input the data in the first place. ONE WORLD MY EYE. As with anything the value of improvment is in the eyes of the user.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michael,

Remember the "Paperless Office" ? :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Only a "Pipe Dream", at best! :roll: :roll:

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:04 am 
Koa
Koa

OK, I'm pretty sure that it's not the intervening post warning. I just tried to post and it just vanished. Oddly enough, it said that it posted it successfully. But there is no sign of the post.