It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Southwick, MA
Just wondering, after you hooked up the cyclone, was there more suction at the tool end of the hose than you would have had with just the shop vac? in other words, does adding the cyclone increase the suction?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
It does not actually increase the suction of the vacuum, but what it does do is keep the suction of the vacuum at full force practically 100% of the time. When you use a shop vac with a filter or bag in it, it begins to loose it's suction by an increasing percentage as soon as dust starts collecting on the filter or sides of the bag. If you are pulling dust off of a sander, within a few minutes, you are down to about 75% efficiency, and in 10 minutes, somewhere in the 50% range as the dust begins to build. With the Cyclone in the line, there is no dust build up on the filter to speak of. I took mine apart after using it for a month, of thickness sanding veneers, including a lot of black, and there was none of it on the filter or in the cannister of the vacuum. The Cyclone cannister had it all. I was flabbergasted. I didn't believe the advertising. I was wrong.

Just for fun, look what the Oneida folks came out with. It sports 220CFM, Max. suction, two 110 volt motors, and sits on a 35 gal or 50 gal drum with wheels. $2,385.00. Gorilla Vac

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Southwick, MA
Thank you my friend - I saw that gorilla vac on their site - as i was ordering my Dust Deputy...

You guys sucked in another cyclone believer...
(pun intended)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I love my Dust Deputy. My shop is small, so I have not done the portable thing. It is tucked behind my drill press, and I only have to reach back, take the top off, and lift out the drum to empty it. I tried a bag in it, but I must be getting some air leaks, and it sucked it up into the cyclone. I need to get some kind of thin seal to eliminate the leak.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A little disappointed this afternoon. Using the Dust Sucker as it was titled, I had to pick up a gallon of nice claro shavings off the jointer, it was at least 12 inches tall and about that big around or so. You can feed these little cyclones enough to choke and cough. I looked over and the funnel of the cyclone was slightly clogged with it running.

It took it a few seconds to clear, but it did, then I went back to work on what was left of the pile. You guessed it, There was a cup of shavings in my Shop Vac.

Moral of the story: Take it easy on big piles, Rome wasn't built in a day. Do that and you won't have to clean out the shopvac and filter. Otherwise, works great!

I agree, no increase in suction, it's just that the cyclone has the ability to keep the filter clear. (Note: See above sentences) :|

I'm thinking the hole on the bottom of the cyclone should be bigger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I don't think they do nearly as well on large chips, curly shavings, and stuff like that. I think they do best on dust. Also, they are better at, like you say, a steady flow, rather than lots of volume like in cleaning up a pile. I have noticed when I pick up a small scrap it sort of rattles around in the cyclone until I turn off the vacuum, then it drops down. I think that's what happens with chips. You might do better to sweep up the chips.