Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:56 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've been french polishing a big Ditson dreadnought copy recently, I'm right-handed but my left elbow is going crazy.
Guess it's from hold the instrument firm enough to allow my right hand to apply pressure with the pad. Anybody else
every deal with this? I've used the technique on a lot of old Martins to restore poorly refinished instruments but never
a dreadnought. I guess I'll have to come up with a better way of hold the guitar so that my left arm is not the main
source of stability. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has come across this or if I'm just a whimp... a possiblity.

Best
Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: LaPlante
Hi Bruce,
Yes it is a rather physical process.....it's usually my back that gets me....
I don't know how well a "holder" of sorts would work....at this point I'm doing classicals with the neck attached so that provides something substantial to grip. When french polishing guitars made neck and body separate I usually installed a dovetail "neck" holder rod which sufficed.
Given that the light reflection is important to seeing exactly what you are doing and the varied surfaces and contours involved, constant adjustments are needed.............just seems that the simplest way is to hold it in your mitts though on classicals I can usually brace the peghead against me to ease the pressure on my holding (right) hand.
My regimen starts with an overall light seal coat and then concentraton on the back and sides (important not to develop the surface on the top at this point as any unwanted drips will send you back to square one...)
Once the back and sides (including the neck heel) are nearly done I concentrate on the top and peghead......at this point the guitar can be laid on the bench (padded) and polished flat. The neck itself is the last part to be worked up before overall finishing up with a very "Dry" pad.

Best!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:42 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have done 4 FP'd guitars now and have settled on using the same cradle that holds the body for routing binding channels to hold the body for FP sessions. I also clamp the cradle to the bench to make it rock hard stable. It works beautifully and allows me to view the surface at different angles.

It was my RIGHT elbow that became fatigued and sore until I learned how to do the procedure with both hands. It takes a little practice but it not only saves wear and tear on the elbow joint, it also is kinder to your back. Experiment with different heights and angles until you get that "just right" ergonomic position. That alone has made my FP sessions so much more enjoyable and rewarding.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:44 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi David, good to hear from you.

I have sealed the entire guitar as you mentioned and am concentrating on the back and sides. I think if I leave the top as is for now, I could work out a way to hold the guitar, probably with a dovetail attachment that would allow some place to fix the guitar in position and not use my left arm quite so much. I was surprised how sore my left elbow became after a couple of days of work. Just getting older I guess....
Thanks for the ideas.

Bruce

JJ, thanks for you input as well, I don't use that particular set-up for binding routing but could make a fixture that would do the same thing. I think it's a matter of ergonomics and I have to experiment with better ways of doing the whole procedure.
I was surprised as well that it was my left elbow, the working hand, right sided, is fine..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
I am right handed and my elbow joint gets very sore and fatigued when I FP also. On this last guitar I wore an elbow brace to allow some of the movement to come from the shoulder rather than entirely from the elbow. I also switched hands often to lessen the strain on my right elbow. I also spread my sessions out across a few more days to try and limit the long hours of repetitive motion and that seemed to help.

I clamp the guitar by the headstock to keep it steady while I polish the front and back and that seems to alleviate any undue stress on my left arm from trying to hold it in a static position. I also have a guitar vise attached to the side of my bench to hold it on edge to do the sides, top, and bottom.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hey Bruce;
I feel for you! I've been working with my hands all my life & am paying the price for it with repetative motion "injuries"... Mostly in my left hand & arm.
Right handed people often have problems develop in their left hands, shoulders & arms. I believe it is caused by using our left hands instead of a vice or other holding fixture.
My suggestion would be to do whatever it takes to relieve the stress on your hand, before the problem becomes chronic.
Some days I can't turn a door knob with my left hand. It's the PITS! I use the cradle form my binding cutter a lot when I need to hold the guitar on the flat... a home made body vice (Troji?) makes the sides available.
It's not as convenient as your left hand, but it works... And saves a lot of discomfort.
Good luck! Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I got tendonitis from woodcarving, carpal tunnel and generally my joints were starting to pack up a bit, as I took up cross-country running too.

Being only 34, but being nutritionally washed out from having three kids within three years caused the problems.

I have been taking 1000mg Glucosamine Sulphate and 800mg Condroitin Sulphate (in the form of two tablets a day) for the last year, and I am pleased to report that I honestly haven't suffered any joint pain or tendonitis since. The stuff started kicking in after two months, and I'm a happy bunny now...

It takes a LOT more elbow grease these days to tell when I've overdone it (muscle fatigue, not that deep ache you get with tendonitis, etc), but when things start to ache, I just stop and rest up for the day.

Hope you get better soon. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

Consider spraying or brushing the shellac....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

Why not make a French Polish buffer for the drill? A rag bunched up around a circular holder, -Im thining of those angle drills.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:00 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. Mario, for some reason, on this one I did add more shellac by brushing
than normal and I think that's going to help. I should have less to apply via the pad and my arm will get a break.
It's just odd that it was the left elbow that took the beating. I think I was trying to provide a very firm surface to
work against, something that I need to re-create with some other material as was mentioned.
I think it's just a reminder that we all have to be aware of how easy it is to do something that seems so simple yet
can have fairly profound consequences. Be careful out there, your health is the most important thing you have.
Best
Bruce