Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:40 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Focus: Build
I for one was really glad to get the announcement. I started out reading MIMF long before I found the OLF. I have gotten very used to the OLF's "where do I find this" - "go here" openness, and got very tired of responding that way (out of reflex) on MIMF and getting my posts eviscerated/deleted. I got to the point where I felt that Deb was basically being obstructionist, and just stopped posting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Definitely a welcomed change in policy. I hope the forum becomes re-constituted and continues to survive. A dusting off of the policy is a good thing and I commend the management for listening to its members. As a charter OLF member as well as a member of other fora, I believe the competition will only be good for the guitar builder. Competition will make everyone stronger and in the end it will benefit more than hurt. I occasionally post questions regarding electric guitar issues and have always gotten quick responses from knowledgeable and friendly members. They've been around for a long time and the MIMF members have a LOT to offer. Hopefully, the archiving issues will be resolved in short order.

I sure hope this thread doesn't get into a personality bashing session and we can keep it on a positive message. There's no question but that the OLF policy has withstood the test of time. Not always a smooth ride, but we seem to be able to sort out issues in due time. The new software will serve to make the experience even better and attract even more members.

Thanks to Lance and Brock for the fine forum!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:47 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I too was pleased to receive the note announcing the policy changes. I'd been frequenting the MIMF for many years, but hadn't posted there in a long time, for all the reasons mentioned above. Years back that was a very active forum, and was a wealth of great information. Activity there has really dropped to a sad rate recently. Hopefully this will revive it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:11 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
We don't really see ourseves in "competition" with the MIMF... that rather both sites serve to broaden the base of knowledge. So in that espect we have a common goal.

To echo JJs comments, A "bashing session" this thread will not become :D

Kudos to the MIMF!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 am 
Koa
Koa

I noticed that there was still a "I will not discuss policy in public" attitude, though...

The "commercial" restrictions meted out with a heavy hand were why I left MIMF, and I see no reason to return given the generally excellent level of discourse here along with the better forum software. For a more specialized forum, the Mandolin Cafe is truly excellent, too, with some of the top mando luthiers quite accessible. In fact, I'd say that they have the best representation of the top of the field of any stringed instrument forum I know of.

I really see MIMF as appealing more to beginners and folks who will never earn a living at lutherie, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but I'm looking to learn from pro peers here...and I do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
It is just so much easier to participate in a discussion where you don't have to worry about saying who got what where, and what did it cost. It is sort of a sick philosophy to not even be able to mention a commercial establishment, even if it is yours. What's wrong with saying I have those? I don't, but what would be wrong if I did, as long as people know me, and I'm not out there pushing myself every day to a bunch of strangers. There is no doubt that OLF has a much more open and easier format than any other forum I have seen. It is easier to be a part of nearly every discussion, here, if you choose to, and not, if you wish not to. I'm sure there are other forums that I don't know that have great formats, but of the ones I do know, this one is the easiest to be a regular participant.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 am 
Koa
Koa

The way I see it...if you are willing to put up someone else's rules inorder play in their sand box then no matter what the rules are, you have accepted their terms. So you can't complain later. People seem to look at these forums as if they have "Rights". YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO ANYTHING. The ONLY right you have is to leave. Even as a paying member you only have the "right" to do as you are told or leave.

About three years ago I sent Deb an email...the email simply said "Merry Christmas". Because I had included a few of my friends (not kidding maybe 5-10 others) Deb considered it a "spam" and I was "banned for life". I honestly laughed...o.k. so now I will never take part in any of your auctions ( which I often bid high enough to win). I will never donate any goods for auction and I will never donate that beloved CASH...ever again. I will not add my expertise/experience. You win Deb. I am not bashing... it's her box...I can't play there and I don't. Not ever ( even though there are ways around it if I so chose). But who lost? Me...not at all.

I have also been censored here on this forum from time to time. Sometimes I feel that maybe the owners are right, sometimes not. But it's their box. As long as their rules are acceptable to me. I remain . When they become too biased/one sided. I leave. It's my choice. But remember, when all the people who are able to contribute no longer continue to do so, we all lose... especially the forum owners( if they truly want a quality/ professional atmosphere vs. a true sand box of kiddies). So even the owners of the sand box must take into consideration how tyranical they want to be. There is risk on both sides. There is always going to be instances of favoritism ( whether real or not). That's just part of it all. Some can say or do almost anything. Some can not. Oh well...

Oh...almost forgot my point...I could care less about MIMF :lol:

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 am 
Koa
Koa

Hey, this place has even been tolerant of Grumpy and me...now that's saying something!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:45 am 
Koa
Koa

Rick Turner wrote:
Hey, this place has even been tolerant of Grumpy and me...now that's saying something!

I'd say...but you weren't around yet for some of the stunts I pulled ( not that I condone them). I also have been beat back pretty hard now and then by the owners. And have had my unjustly deserved & unfair share of beatings from certain forum Members( which Lance promptly came to my defense on - Thanks Again) as well. Seems that some people on this forum really hate the words "income taxes" can't even mention those words without the risk of being tied to a stake and burned. :lol: 8-)

Yes, quite a few of us have been "tolerated" here.

remember...

"If it doesn't play in tune...it's just pretty wood"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:47 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Rick Turner wrote:

...and as long as you and Grumpy continue to contribute to the body of knowledge, we'll continue the tolerance. Remember, it's what have you done for us lately! :lol:

OMG...I can't believe I just said that! :o It must be my Tourette's kicking in today! :?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Rick Turner wrote:

I think they're tied, actually. You've each left one of the forums for 'atmospheric reasons' (though Mario did come back here when skins thickened)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:58 am 
Site Admin

JJ Donohue wrote:
Rick Turner wrote:

...and as long as you and Grumpy continue to contribute to the body of knowledge, we'll continue the tolerance. Remember, it's what have you done for us lately! :lol:

OMG...I can't believe I just said that! :o It must be my Tourette's kicking in today! :?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
I've been on other forums where a thread discussing "the competition" would have never seen the light of day. That to me speaks volumes about how Lance and Brock run this place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

I think MIMF's posting oversight is heavy-handed. I was dissed for posting messages that Deb thought were too political. They weren't political at all, but philosophical. Besides OLF has a much more modern and attractive user interface. I feel more at home here than on MIMF. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,
Lets not let this thread degrad in to a "what I dont like about" thread.

Got something nice to say, share it, if not, dont ;)

Its a negitive use of bandwidth. :shock:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I was a member over at MIMF long before I came over here. I'm happy here and even though I am still a member over there I rarely go for a visit. It has nothing to do with Deb or her policies. I have felt extremely welcomed and wanted here from the very first post

Ken H

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:02 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
The true value of any on-line community, regardless of the software or user interface, is the collective wisdom of it's members.

We are very fortunate indeed here on the OLF to have such a great membership. Thanks to all! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP We are also very fortunate to have such great hosts who's vision for a less hands on forum has truly panned out. CLAP, CLAP, CLAP, CLAP (note: Lance buddy a clapping emoticon can be easily added to this software - takes 3 seconds to do. :lol: )

Lance I think that Dave should be banned for life for swearing - he said i*come t*xes........ :D

Seriously Dave I am sorry for my past intolerance of your mention or involvement with the subject of i*come t*xes. As a sign of good faith I would be more then happy to let you pay my i*come t*xes this year...... :lol: :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:34 pm 

Hesh wrote:
(note: Lance buddy a clapping emoticon can be easily added to this software - takes 3 seconds to do. :lol: )

Send me some instructions and we will happily do it. We are still fighting some of the login problems though... so it might not happen immediately, but we will do it. No prob.

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Luthier's forums to me are about the sharing of information regarding guitar building, and that's pretty much all I need from such places.

I am grateful for such resources across the web and in the support from other luthiers I get in the real world. (The UK bunch are some of the nicest people I've met.)

Last edited by Sam Price on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Interesting differences. I have never felt very welcomed here. I try to post useful posts but they are never acknowledged. Whereas the MIMF is my home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

BarryDaniels wrote:
Interesting differences. I have never felt very welcomed here. I try to post useful posts but they are never acknowledged. Whereas the MIMF is my home.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Barry. I have always thought you provide good information both here as well as MIMF. I for one welcome you here and hope that you continue to participate here as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

There are different reasons to be involved in Internet forums, and they're all valid. Some want to be a part of a social community, some want real information with a minimum of static. If what you want is a warm fuzzy family and a kind of in-crowd feeling, yes, it's over there at MIMF where I think threads degenerate pretty quickly into clique-speak. I'm not here on OLF for want of friends and community; I'm here to share information and learn something. To be honest, I'm not all that interested in endless self-congratulatory conversations about first builds. Too often such things become like college football pep rallies...a spinning of gushing emo bulls..t. I have not problem with folks learning to build, and I think they should be encouraged; I just prefer to do that in either a one-on-one or classroom situation where I can handle the instrument and critique it honestly.

As for forums, I like to get down to the real place where steel meets wood. That's happening here a lot with the sharing of techniques, suppliers, and the nitty gritty of guitar making.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kirby
State: Wa. ... Devoted (Inspired?) hack
BarryDaniels wrote:

Hi Barry this may be unwanted and unneeded advice,

Give yourself a few minutes to try and figure out why then relax let go of those feelings and approach it all from a new perspective. It sometimes works for me.

"Sippin Loch Dhu @Black lake" ,Kirby O...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Sam Price wrote:
Luthier's forums to me are about the sharing of information regarding guitar building...
(emphasis added by me).

What I've always seen as the major difference between this forum and MIMF, speaking only of content, is that this forum tends to be extremely guitar-centric. That's not necessarily a bad thing - and if I ever get back around to building guitars, especially flat-tops, you'll hear me piping up a lot more often. The brain (and skill) trust here is amazing. The thing I've always appreciated about MIMF is the broad scope of interest and knowledge that is represented there. Whether you're interested in violins, mandolins, guitars (of any type), bagpipes, didgeridoos, you name it - if it makes music (or noise!), somebody there knows about it. I'd have to concur with Barry that I also feel a little more at home over there - not because of 'feeling more welcome' or anything like that, but because my interests, currently, are sort of outside the scope of this forum. Possibly that is something that will change with time, if either A) I find renewed interest in guitars, or 2) all those OTHER people start coming over here :o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rick Turner wrote:
I noticed that there was still a "I will not discuss policy in public" attitude, though...

The "commercial" restrictions meted out with a heavy hand were why I left MIMF, and I see no reason to return given the generally excellent level of discourse here along with the better forum software. For a more specialized forum, the Mandolin Cafe is truly excellent, too, with some of the top mando luthiers quite accessible. In fact, I'd say that they have the best representation of the top of the field of any stringed instrument forum I know of.

I really see MIMF as appealing more to beginners and folks who will never earn a living at lutherie, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but I'm looking to learn from pro peers here...and I do.

Well said, Rick...and if you can learn something on this forum, then I certainly can! :P