Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:06 am 
Koa
Koa

I think people eventually will figure out that there's another section to look at. We need to ween people off of the idea that this forum is one giant list of posts in one place, which is what it used to be. It'd help if the main board index was cleaned up and organized better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:15 am 
Koa
Koa

Also, check out the # of views, not the posted replies... Hundreds of views on each thread, and Lance asked that we make an effort to keep those threads uncluttered.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:27 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Todd I was not aware that I was jumping ship with my posting in the main discussion forum. I thought that we are now handling toots just as you are recommending and I personally, not that it matters, am fine with that.

I agree that the real value of anyone detailing a methodology in the main forum is that it has the opportunity to be vetted by others, added to, and in the end we have a thread that represents the collective wisdom of many builders regarding the subject matter.

If this is how we are handling toots, post in the main forum first and move them in time somewhere else that is easy to locate, what is the problem here?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:35 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
ToddStock wrote:
I agree with the sentiment; however, I have not seen many examples here of effective training. Depending on how you see the motivation of tutorial posters (attention-starved vs. filled with need for selfless service), the readers of tutorial posts might have little to do with where a tutorial is ultimately posted.

Man that one hurt........ And in the interest of everyone else I am going to let it go. But Todd it's been pretty clear for a while now that you have "issues" with me personally and my hope is that you would address these issues with me personally and not drag others through the crap.

I spend a lot of time putting these tutorials together and I learn as much from creating a tutorial as perhaps anyone does from reading them. I also greatly enjoy writing and the challenge of describing concepts that are not easy to describe via a medium such as an Internet forum.

I am sorry that it seems that my participation here offends you so very much...............

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 am 
Koa
Koa

Todd

Your suggestion of posting in to the Main Discussion and then moving it to the tutorial section is the way we do it "downunder".

By doing this the initial thread will get more traffic with a greater variety of input.

If the thread is moved to the Tutorial section and kept active, it can be amended as fresh ideas are come to hand, so it makes it a work in progress rather than being a static archive.

The tutorial page worked well but it takes too much maintenance to keep it up to date.

Bob

------------------------------------------------------
Bob Connor
Geelong, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You know what Todd, if you have made it such a high importance for you to help establish, change or suggest the "policies" of this forum why don't you email Lance and Brock with all you ideas rather than post them here?

It most certainly appears that your thread here was not just to make a suggestion rather some veiled intent to hurt Hesh, use him as your own punching bag and just to be a bully (where's your pink dude?). That or for the first reason you suggested people post tutorials, attention starved. And suggesting that posts are made for posterity sake just reeks of the same for you to post as you do. Some times you just look like a big jerk Todd. This isn't the military so drop your commando nature, nor is it your forum and all your suggestions just get tiring and honestly clutter the forum main page, effectively taking attention away from posts which are useful to someone, even a newbie. I can understand that you're just trying to make it better but who says what you think is the best idea anyway. Oh, and this isn't the MIMF either. I don't think either Lance or Brock want to make this a full time job to organize and arrange the "Library" like Deb does.

I honestly think it's best if everyone offers up their suggestions for the betterment of the "policies" in email of pm form as it will help eliminate using someone else and their good intentions as a way to make one's self look better :evil:

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

ToddStock wrote:
I've probably posted as many 'how tos' as you have, Hesh, and feel fully entitled to make light of my own motivations, which are somewhere in between the extremes noted.

Gee, your just perfect aren't you [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Rod True wrote:
You know what Todd, if you have made it such a high importance for you to help establish, change or suggest the "policies" of this forum why don't you email Lance and Brock with all you ideas rather than post them here?

Totally agreed. Can this thread be locked, please?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:51 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Rod True wrote:
ToddStock wrote:
I've probably posted as many 'how tos' as you have, Hesh, and feel fully entitled to make light of my own motivations, which are somewhere in between the extremes noted.

Gee, your just perfect aren't you [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]

feel fully entitled to make light of my own motivations

I read that as Todd trying to de-fuse the situation and:

Gee, your just perfect aren't you [xx(] [xx(] [xx(][/quote]

that as being totally uncalled for and abusive.

Say what you like about the MIMF and Deb's 'she who must be obeyed' attitude, but this sort of exchange would be smartly stepped on over there and quite rightly so. Come on guys, let's try and be a bit more adult and appreciate the fact that certain people's skins are perhaps a little less thick than others.

Having said that, I would like to say that I appreciate both Todd's and Hesh's contributions. If Hesh's tend to be directed towards (and appreciated by) beginners, I find that there are usually some snippets of information to be gleaned by those who are more experienced. Todd is a craftsman who has much to offer to us all. I would be saddened to lose either of them. What this forum is all about, is helping others. Surely we can do that without squabbling.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:19 am 
Koa
Koa

Yikes! Well said Dave...this went downhill/personal in a hurry! And it didn't need too!
I posted the Hacklinger thread (thanks Todd) direct to tutorials and afterwards, wasn't sure that was best, since "traffic" was light.
For bolt-on necks, I asked Lance first. He said it was my choice, so I posted to tutorials & he put a "sticky" on the main page. This seemed to help a lot!
When you post your so-called "tutorial" (your opinion, after all), you like to hear from those who found it interesting / helpful or have alternate thoughts, but I also agree with keeping it uncluttered as an archived info source.
My current thinking is to agree with Todd / Hesh - post to the Main page. if the general consensus is that it's worthwhile, archive it, (maybe even clean up the extraneous "wooohooos"), in tutorials.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]