Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Gerould
Last Name: Wheeler
City: Hanahan
State: SC
Zip/Postal Code: 29410
Focus: Build
If this is not the place for this just let me know if this gets moved.
My question is about acoustic pickups, built in pre-amps and the like. What do you like best and why?
I'm leaning on installing one on an Epiphone acoustic that I have and am really wondering what you people like.

Thanks
Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
I'll second this question, I've debated on whether to install pickups in the guitars I build for myself. I'm especially curious about passive pickups, as I'd prefer not to require a battery, and it seems a waste of money to have a preamp in every guitar when I mostly just use it for quick recording to the computer. On the other hand, it would be kind of fun to design some Taylor-esque integrated controls :)

Also, how about pickup vs. internal mic vs. both? Seems like pickups generally sound better, but the mic picks up percussive techniques better. But since none of them ever sound all that great compared to a good external mic setup, it might not be worthwhile to do anything beyond basic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:05 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Woodrow
Last Name: Brackett
City: Grover
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 28073
Playing style and venue both make a BIG difference in what pickup would work best. Alot of people really love K&K pickups (their pure western mini) but I kinda half plant, half drag my pinky and with a K&K it sounds like a bad drummer. LR Baggs I-beam does the same thing for me. Mics or other type pickups don't pick up my pinky. These pickups are also prone to feedback at high volume levels.
My favorite "pickup" is actually a mic. I use an Audio Technica Pro 37 condensor mic on an add on boom on my vocal mic stand. It quiter venues I use it for the mains, but run my pickup to the monitors to help with feedback. My pickups of choice are either a LR Baggs M1, into a Fishman Pro EQ platinum pre amp, or a D-tar Wavelength into the Fishman pre.

What's a good pickup for me might not be for someone else. Again, playing style and venue makes alot of difference. For recording I'd forget about pickups. Recording on a PC with a cheap (~$50) usb powered condensor mic will sound better, and be more realistic than any pickup...........as long as you have a quite enviroment to record in. I've got some decent recording equipment and mics, but I do most of my recording with my Zoom H4.

If you insist on recording with a pickup a K&K PWM, or LR Baggs I-beam are probably your best bets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

City: Battle Ground
State: WA
The K&K Pure Western Mini is hot, so you don't really need a pre-amp with it; it's about as natural sounding as an acoustic pickup can be; there are no internal batteries to mess with; it's pretty easy to install; and it's cheap. I don't know about you, but that hits a lot of my hot buttons. The only real negative for me is that the installation is pretty much permanent if you follow the recommended procedure and super glue the pickup elements to the bridge plate. They do give you double stick tape, but claim it reduces the pickup's efficiency. I haven't tried one that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Fred
Last Name: Tellier
City: Windsor
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: N8T2C6
I have installed two K&K Trinity systems and a mini western. The mic and external preamp give me a great sound but the mini western without a preamp is not far behind and a 1/3 the price. The only thing I find bad with the K&K without preamp is it has a little too much bass but it is easy to EQ out the K&K systems are the most natural sound I have found. When I play the mini western equipped guitar at an open mic I use the external preamp from the Trinity so I can mix out the bass myself, I also find less sound is generated when touching the top of the guitar with the preamp being used.

K&K now has an external mic called the Meridian that seems quite interesting http://www.kksound.com/meridian.html
with this I can move the pickup to whatever guitar I am using and not committing to a pickup that a potential buyer might not like.

I have also used a B-band on one guitar but though it has a great sound it is the worst for feedback of anything I have used.

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:44 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Gerould
Last Name: Wheeler
City: Hanahan
State: SC
Zip/Postal Code: 29410
Fred Tellier wrote:
I have also used a B-band on one guitar but though it has a great sound it is the worst for feedback of anything I have used.Fred

What B-band did you use? Just curious. I was looking at these but now the K&K looks like a good one.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Fred
Last Name: Tellier
City: Windsor
Zip/Postal Code: N8T2C6
The one with the pickup on the bridge plate, and the pre amp in the jack, I think it is A1 style preamp. They also have one that combines this pickup with an under saddle pickup which is probably better for feedback control.

Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
i like the old baggs LB-6, or LB-12. for me, the 12 has a wider string spacing, which i like.
fits in an 1/8" saddle slot, with an 1/8" hole drilled through the bridge and bridge plate for the wire,
then go out through the endpin jack.
from there i go through a baggs d. i. box for the pre-amp.
baggs d. i. has more features than a built in pre.
i can use the one pre for as many gits as i want.
no pre-amp or bulky battery case in the git. i like that.
baggs also makes a gig-pro, which is a clip on to yer belt pre, which i never tried.
imo, no acoustic pick-up sounds that good, so i'm sticking with my set-up.
now, from reviews of friends and forum opinions...
"they all basically sound quacky. the k&k sounds the best. internal mic pick-ups sound even better, but feedback is an issue.
the sunrise is killer, but you need an expensive pre to sound that way."
so there. i have tried a cheap behringer mic pre with my baggs LB12, and it sounds a little less "quackie".
also, from now on i'm not putting a pick-up on acoustics that i build, because if somebody buys it,
they'll probably want something else. so there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Buzz
Last Name: Roberts
City: Crystal Beach
State: ON
Zip/Postal Code: L0S 1B0
For me, simple wins. I've used the K&K mini in several guitars and it's what I would recommend due to pricer and simplicity. If you've got the extra cash, the LR Baggs Lyric is also a great choice and works very well. It uses a 9 volt battery but that seems to last six months to a year depending on how much you play.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Put me down for
K&K mini
K&K trinity
LR BAGGS Anthem

not a fan of fishman too many issues with the aura systems

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tim
Last Name: Mullin
City: Shefford
State: QC
Zip/Postal Code: J2M 1R5
I build, but I also do repairs. My shop is now runs full time, so I install a ton of pickups — some because the instrument lacks a pickup, others because the player is unhappy with the factory-installed you-name-the-brand.
Personally, I can identify an under-saddle transducer pickup (UST) a mile away, and my ears just don’t like it. Customers who bring in a guitar with an LRBaggs Anthem (blended UST + mic) often have the guitar biased toward the mic.
I like the K&K bridge plate pickups, but they’re a pain to install, and an even bigger pain to de-install.
I generally sell (and stock) the LRBaggs Lyric microphone — essentially the microphone half of the Anthem. The mounting position is somewhat flexible, which can be helpful in some instruments.
For a bridge plate pickup, I lean toward the Schatten HFN active VT — very similar to the LRBaggs Ibeam, but much less expensive (at least in Canada).
Half of my own guitars run the Schatten, the other half the Lyric. Customers are happy with both, but the Schatten is almost half the price of the Lyric, so sales are biased more than 2 to 1.
For the odd customer who performs with a really loud band in various locations, feedback is an over-riding concern. For them, I’ve been installing the Seymour Duncan SA6 Mag Mic — a combined microphone and sound hole-mounted magnetic PUP, with a blend control. When feedback gets out of hand, the player can bias the PUP to the magnetic side — sounds less natural, but eliminates the feedback. It’s a bit pricey, but the right solution for some players, and very easy to move between instruments.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
My fave is the Schatten HFN passive. Easier to install than the K&K system, and less permanent as it just uses twoside tape. Weighs less than the K&K as well which is important to me. The Lyric has a significant detrimental tone to my guitars as well so I won't put one in.

The Schatten actually reproduces the sound of the guitar itself, rather than sounding more like the pickup like most piezo UST's...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I’m with Tim on the sound of undersaddle pickups. I just don’t like the sound, no matter how it is processed.

For a number of years, the Lyric has been my favorite, particularly when paired with a Venue preamp. It sounds very natural to me.

I have in my possession, but have not yet experimented with, a James May Engineering Ultra Tonic pickup and a Tonedexter modeler to go with it. I hear good reviews, but no personal experience yet. It is supposed to be really great if you have access to high end mics for the modeling procedure, which I do. We’ll see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

JJB Electronics. High quality, low price and several systems to choose from. I'm really not a fan of under the saddle type. Never heard one that I liked. Just ordered two units from JJB last week.

Brent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I've never been crazy about any acoustic pickups - especially under saddle units. Any piezo pickups require some kind of buffering to even out the spikiness of the sound. I used to put a thin section of a rubber band under the saddle on some guitars in the 80's. It cut down the volume, but sweetened the tone.

What I recommended for many decades was any one of the many Ken Donnell Mini-Flex systems that used microphones/ and or a piezo pickup paired with microphone. Sounded much more natural.

I have an older Yamaha Silent Guitar with a UST that sounds pretty decent, paired with Yamaha's SRT system, which is actually sampled acoustic sounds processed like a synth. Sounds very nice, with no acoustic guitar problems like feedback or woofiness.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
bftobin wrote:
JJB Electronics. High quality, low price and several systems to choose from. I'm really not a fan of under the saddle type. Never heard one that I liked. Just ordered two units from JJB last week.
Brent

I like them too, same reasons.
Braggs anthem is also excellent.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A lot has changed in the ten years since this thread was started. For a while I was a K and K or JJB transducer guy and would NEVER recommend a Piezo. Now for me personally, I use a Fishman piezo with the Fishman Aura Spectrum and there is no going back for me. It's expensive but it's by far the best live set up I have ever used.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

meddlingfool wrote:
My fave is the Schatten HFN passive. Easier to install than the K&K system, and less permanent as it just uses twoside tape. Weighs less than the K&K as well which is important to me. The Lyric has a significant detrimental tone to my guitars as well so I won't put one in.

The Schatten actually reproduces the sound of the guitar itself, rather than sounding more like the pickup like most piezo UST's...

Interesting that Ed likes the HFN passive, while I like the Active version.
Of course the pickup itself is exactly the same. Having the end-pin preamp gives to option for an onboard volume and tone control, which many clients appreciate, if not demand.
Perhaps more importantly, while the passive version works fine with guitar amps, it doesn’t work with all PA type systems. I’m not conversant with the electronics, but it seems the input impedance for microphone inputs is sometimes not compatible with passive piezo outputs. I’ve had two clients give me hell because their instruments didn’t work with a well-known model of portable PA. The HFN active is only a little bit more, and compatible with virtually anything, by virtue of having the preamp. So that’s the one I stock.
Like Ed, I think the Schatten products are outstanding value. I’ve put them in steel-string and classical guitars, Selmers, banjos, mandolins, Celtic harps, and autoharps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:40 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Andy
Last Name: Bounsall
City: Ottawa
Zip/Postal Code: K2H 7C7
I’ll cast another vote for surface mount pickups from JJB Electronics. I use their Prestige 330 on many of the acoustic guitars that I build. Very similar to K&K pure mini. Great sound and a great value for your dollar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
I've got three JJBs going into what 's coming up to the finishing stage. 220s for an ABG and a parlor and 330 for a Prairie State. JJB was very helpful in the choices.
Recently I installed a MiniFlex II in my '72 Gospel. It replaced an old FRAP from the late '70s. I got it from Ken Donnell who lives nearby. Sounds very natural through a Carvin acoustic amp with no preamp.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Terry
We put Anthem or Anthem SL's in every guitar we sell (except Parlor's, which don't get pickups). Like others, I can't stand the sound of an under saddle pizzo style pickup. We target people who play through sound systems on a regular basis, and spending thousands on a hand made guitar and then having it sound like "plastic" coming out of the speakers just hurts too much. I've used Lyrics in the past as well, but they don't have the low end that the Anthem's offer. The down side is that the Anthem's have a Mic and a pizzo to get the full range of frequencies, so all that work we do for a perfect fitting saddle get's short-circuited with the wire. It's not dramatic, but I can tell the difference without the wire under there. But, like I said, our customers play amplified so that small trade off is more than worth the relatively natural and full range sound the Anthem's give us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A few years ago I had the chance to demo different LR Baggs systems at the Santa Barbara show and went home with the mic/UST combo that you *can’t* tweak to adjust the blend. I don’t remember what it’s called, but it was my favorite by far. I thought it had an extremely pleasant soundand liked the definition the UST gave each note combined with the airiness of the mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Tim,

I prefer the passive because I think there are better preamps than what comes with the active Schatten.

The passive unit indeed requires pairing with an external preamp/active DI.

I use a Baggs Venue DI. The combo is better sounding imo than the Schatten preamp.

The passive system lets you choose your preamp. That being said, I have no problem with installing the active VT if someone asked. In fact my next pay check depends on it, lol. Come on Postie!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

meddlingfool wrote:
Tim,

I prefer the passive because I think there are better preamps than what comes with the active Schatten.

The passive unit indeed requires pairing with an external preamp/active DI.

I use a Baggs Venue DI. The combo is better sounding imo than the Schatten preamp.

The passive system lets you choose your preamp. That being said, I have no problem with installing the active VT if someone asked. In fact my next pay check depends on it, lol. Come on Postie!

Ed,
Don’t disagree with you. At least for my local aftermarket, having the preamp on the Schatten keeps people happy. If they have the cash for an external preamp, they will likely go for the Lyric that sits on the same shelf and offerings from LRB. Like you, I’ll bring in whatever a client prefers. I’m just happy when I don’t have to play inside a guitar with CA!
T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Just an aside but I have had some success removing K&K glued transducers by turning the guitar soundhole down and using a long needle and syringe saturating the wood of the bridge plate around the pickup disk with acetone. It seems to wick into the wood under the pickup element.

After a few minutes sometimes just a steady tug on the wire will pop it off.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): stumblin (Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:31 am) • SteveSmith (Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 am)