Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:05 am 
Koa
Koa

laughing6-hehe ....yeah, never thought about that virzi / bolt wrench interference. One of those challenging little "surprises" that sometimes pop up in loofery.
It's coming along great...very rich colour & character.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Fultz
City: Portage
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49002
Focus: Build
It looks fantastic! I would love to hear a sound clip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 am 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
First name: duh
Last Name: Padma
City: Professional Sawdust Maker
Joe Sallis wrote:
Geat to see your work, Padma. Me makes me realise the crazy things I do are maybe part of some tradition after all. Who was that quote from- "tradition is OK as long as it fits into my ideas"?
I really love the look of your workshop. Wish my dark hovel here in Newcastle could be blasted with some of your sunshine.
I'd love to see your unusual instruments, any links or pictures you could post my way.
Looking forward to the rest of this thread.

Thanks Joe

Here be me face book picture page link. Its got a few photo albums of stuff me did do
including some of me paintings....enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=554955442&sk=photos

and here be link to some of my build videos on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee

Now to all the rest of you dudes who were so kind to as post to this old farts plea for him ego to be stroked....thank you, thank you, thank you. This morning you really made my day. See dudes, yesterday, when me posted this stuff, me had just gotten back from the dentist, my mouth was not happy, dental teckie, she hurt me, and me wanted my mommy.
But mommy, she long time gone dead. So me reached out to you guys.

duh Padma, him feels gooder now. Yay.

Some times alls it takes is a few simple words of kindness to help a sister or brother along.

blessings
duh Padma

Audiences and dispensations on Thursdays ~ by appointment only.

Last edited by the Padma on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Nelson
Last Name: Palen
Padma,
The reason for few replies is that most of us nerds don't speak your language fluently.
idunno
Nelson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
npalen wrote:
Padma,
The reason for few replies is that most of us nerds don't speak your language fluently.
idunno
Nelson

Duh Nelson,

sorry dude, me no buys that double load of wet sawdust,

first ... you dudes ain't no bunches of nerds, no way no how. Do me hear consensuses on that one guys and gals?

Secondly me speak in the Queens Englishes just like they learned me on Sesame Street. Besides who actually reads the crap me write? Anyways there be enough pics in me build thread to keep all the voyeurs happy.

Non the less Nelson, me hear where you coming from and so. pfft

bliss

peace and carrots,
blessings
duh unfluent
Padma

PS: Nelson...nice pics of yer builds on that there web site you got.

Last edited by the Padma on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:23 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Todd
Very nice, not to mention very artistic. It seems you always have a way of seeing things from outside of the box.
I would like to point out that the heel carving of the Caduceus staff is not in fact a symbol of healing, but represents commerce.
I believe the symbol for healing would be the Rod of Asclepius.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:47 am 
Koa
Koa

toddb wrote:
Very nice, not to mention very artistic. It seems you always have a way of seeing things from outside of the box.
I would like to point out that the heel carving of the Caduceus staff is not in fact a symbol of healing, but represents commerce.
I believe the symbol for healing would be the Rod of Asclepius.

Ya, your right. No bout adout it.

See dudes back in our ancient history of early last century a Capt. Frederick P. Reynolds or a Col. John R. van Hoff were held responsible, blamed, accredited...it don't matter which, for the US Army Medical Corps adopting the double snake of the caduseus instead of the single snake of the Rod of Asclepius.

So like things change over time and after a hundred years this symbol has evolved in our consciousness to become the medical symbol...so me used it. Ya, it is a booboo on my part. Just another one of them there oh wells in life.

But thanks for pointing it out to us. bliss Now Todd...why didn't you bring this to my attention a few weeks back pfft when me could a done something about it. laughing6-hehe

Guess the curendero gonna hasta live with it ....cuz me ain't about to make a new neck and recarve it by tomorrow. Sorry...no way.

========================================================

Ok dudes ...that was the pussy cats approach to Todd's comment .

pfft
Here ii is straight from the hip and is a long one and I'll write it in amerikan~ezz for you dudes to grock easier.

Quote:

"As god of the high-road and the market-place Hermes was perhaps above all else the patron of commerce and the fat purse: as a corollary, he was the special protector of the traveling salesman. As spokesman for the gods, he not only brought peace on earth (occasionally even the peace of death), but his silver-tongued eloquence could always make the worse appear the better cause. From this latter point of view, would not his symbol be suitable for certain Congressmen, all medical quacks, book agents and purveyors of vacuum cleaners, rather than for the straight-thinking, straight-speaking therapeutist? As conductor of the dead to their subterranean abode, his emblem would seem more appropriate on a hearse than on a physician's car. ”

—Stuart L. Tyson, "The Caduceus", in The Scientific Monthly

However and non the less...

Don't know how much dudes know about shamanic practices...especially those of the Amazon basin and of Ayahuasca ("spirit vine", "vine of the souls" or more aptly "vine of the dead."

Nothing is created from nothing. For something new to be birthed, something old must die. Change. Birth and death...the two snakes.

Shamans understand this concept very well in dealing with spirits, and negative energies that must be purged, eliminated or literally killed off. White mans medicine, under a very close examination, does not do this as it is based on a "suppress of symptoms" approach as opposed to the "heal them of" practices ofthe medical schools of South America and other Indigenous peoples. This approach is silently and heavily suppressed by the AMA. Oh well.

Now the Anaconda snake is the totem animal associated with Ayahuasca practices, ceremonies and rituals and often appears in the visions as a double helix snakes or more aptly DNA. Not many medical schools out there that can, do and work with DNA for healing as the Ayahuascaros of South America have been for several thousands of years. White mans medicine didn't discover DNA's double helix unti the 1960's when, I think it was Dr. Watson, had visions of its structure on an LSD trip. They gave him the Nobel prize for that one.

From this understanding, along with the other symbolism in this caduceus, it is quite appropriate for this build and its intended owner.

Now the reason for me not going into this on this level right up front was...me getting enough flack from some of me other threads dealing with social change that are being miss read as "Politics" and well me just didn't wanna get into it with the forum...at least not at this point in time. But then me though .... "eh Padma ... lay it down as it really is and let the chips fall were they may." Eat Drink pizza

Thanks for reading this

blessings
duh Padma

Last edited by the Padma on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
I've really appreciated your posts about this and other projects. You demonstrate that it's possible to take our work seriously but not take ourselves seriously—a breath of fresh air.

Maybe it's easier for you because of your skills and long experience, but approaching looferie in a relaxed and playful way could benefit a lot of us; even relative beginners like myself don't really benefit from imagining that if we're all clenched up we can be better at it than we are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

TimAllen wrote:
I've really appreciated your posts about this and other projects.... approaching looferie in a relaxed and playful way could benefit a lot of us ...

Yo Tim,

Thank you, very kind of you to say so.

Now me must agree with ""Never hurry."

But vehemently disagree with " never rest." Dude ya gotta kick back every so often ya know ... to smell the roses. bliss

blessings
duh Padma

Ps: You ever gonna revive Tool Time? That was a great show. laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

cphanna wrote:
...what is the medium? watercolors in shellac? In lacquer? Oil colors thinned with solvent? Me gotta know!

Patrick

Yo, Patrick

Me reply to you earlier regarding what me splashing it with was wrong. Sorry about that.

Yes its water born all right, but its Flecto Varathane for floors.

See, there is no way duh Padma gonna lay down $60 - $80 for a gal of Target, or
KTM-9 or whatever the 1% can afford ... so
me regularly swing by the paint recycle depot and pickup what ever is dropped off. Me likes to keep a stash of this that and the other on hand. So when it came time to spray this instrument, me grabbed the gallon that had the most in it and didn't bother to read exactly what it was. Don't really matter much other than they say the Varathane is suppose to be hard stuff.

But then you know what they say, eh.

blessings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Hey, Padma,
I'm curious about something else. How did you happen to meet this curandero? Not that it's any of my business. Old friends in past years? Just curious.
Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

To Quote JJ Donohue from very first thread me ever posted on this site called
"The Truth be Known" Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 am
http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10112&t=20978&p=297895#p297895

Quote:
...the Padma is cool and a very skillful woodworker. This forum was founded on the basis of tolerating unconventional personalities. In the past, we have occasionally lost our bearings and run off those who could help us most. I hope we have learned from that lesson.

.................................................................................JJ Donohue

Apparently not. As such...

I, me, the Padma will no longer be posting to this thread, or any of me other current build threads.

For those of you who wish, you may pic up this build along with the others, over at http://www.luthierforum.com

Its been a slice dudes.

By.

and as always...

blessings, many many blessings
duh Padma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

AWWW Cmon Padma !
Dont make me get up out of my chair! I got my feet up, beer in hand.....they probably gonna ask me to sign up and give em my passport details....Have a heart man!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:28 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Padma,
Maybe this is too late but I religiously follow your threads. I love your unconventional building style. And your philosophy. It is as though you insist that joy be built into your instruments.

Thanks for sharing, I will try to find you wherever you post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Todd
the Padma wrote:
Now Todd...why didn't you bring this to my attention a few weeks back pfft when me could a done something about it.

Sorry Padma, but I didn't see the last couple of pages of this thread til Wednesday morning, otherwise I would have.

Now, why have you decided not to post to this thread any longer? I personally hope you'd reconsider.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
the Padma wrote:
I, me, the Padma will no longer be posting to this thread, or any of me other current build threads.

For those of you who wish, you may pic up this build along with the others, over at http://www.luthierforum.com

Its been a slice dudes.

By.

I think I missed something! I'm not sure what happened, but Ihope you reconsider Padma. . .

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Kish
City: Saratoga Springs
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 12866
Quote:
Padma,
Maybe this is too late but I religiously follow your threads. I love your unconventional building style. And your philosophy. It is as though you insist that joy be built into your instruments.

Thanks for sharing, I will try to find you wherever you post.

+1

Stick around, Padma. We need the energy, creativity and inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Padma, I'm not sure what happened, but I hope that you can reconsider. This forum isn't so big that it can afford to lose the lifetime of knowledge and practicality that you share with us. [:Y:] duh [:Y:]

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

...have to agree! As well as clearly a capable builder, you're a wise man & a free spirit. But you've got feel comfortable expressing your views, provided they're not hurtful to others. If you feel you can no longer do that here, that's your call but you'll be missed. (...although the few times I've tried that other one, it crashed my computer, so I won't be following you.)
Take care.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Padma, you are the most inspirational poster on this forum. Do not leave.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: alan
Last Name: stassforth
City: Santa Rosa
State: ca
Zip/Postal Code: 95404
PPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
don't go.
me sad if you do.
did you hear me when I said,
"PPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
Dat's pretty loud!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kent
Last Name: Wilkinson
City: New Carlisle
State: Ohio
Zip/Postal Code: 45344
Wow! That's all I can say. Would love to work under some one with your talent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Hmm...Maybe I need a stained glass window in my shop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
shameikaconse wrote:
This is very helpful information you can visit ayahuasca retreats located in Iquitos, Peru to cure the expansion of consciousnesses.

And there was me thinking the Padma was back..... duh

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 2): CharlieT (Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:04 pm) • Bryan Bear (Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

YEah what a blast from the past. Too bad it's just a spammer who monetizes an indigenous culture.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): Clay S. (Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 am) • Bryan Bear (Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:00 pm)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next