Post subject: Hand-stitched rasps
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Noel
Last Name: Liogier
City: Saint Didier en Velay
Zip/Postal Code: 43140
Being a new-comer to this forum, I'll introduce myself with this short video showing what I do :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pzK2Ei19t4

Post subject: Re: Hand-stitched rasps
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I love my hand stitched French rasps. Thanks for the video!

These users thanked the author Arnt Rian for the post: Darren Perry (Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 am)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Well that's pretty amazing process Noel. What would you recommend for instrument neck carving? Thanks for sharing that.

Cheers,
Danny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Focus: Repair
That's bad@ss!
How much are they?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:23 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Welcome to the forum Noel!
I always wondered how they do that!
Thanks for the vid!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:17 am 
Walnut
Walnut

DannyV wrote:
Well that's pretty amazing process Noel. What would you recommend for instrument neck carving? Thanks for sharing that.

If this would be your first hand-stitched rasp, I would recommend :
- either, for shaping the neck, a Cabinet Makers rasp, 10", stitching grain #9
- or, for finishing, a Modellers rasp, 7", stitching grain #13.

Cheers,
Noel

These users thanked the author Liogier for the post: Dave Fifield (Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:26 am 
Koa
Koa

DannyV wrote:

Cheers,
Danny

That's always a difficult thing to judge. Some folk use a very coarse rasp right from the square profile of the Neck. I prefer to start with a drawknife (careful!!) and switch to a mini spokeshave. I find that a coarse rasp throws my judgement of the Neck shape. I only switch to a rasp for the transitions from Neck to head or to the heel. For me that means one of Noel's finer rasps is appropriate. Others will differ in their approach.

These users thanked the author Michael.N. for the post: Kbore (Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:00 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Focus: Build
Group buy? Discount on qty?

Kevin Looker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:17 am 
Walnut
Walnut

klooker wrote:
Group buy? Discount on qty?

Kevin Looker

You can use the following discount codes (to be introduced in the "checkout cart" page of the webstore) :

Star5 : 5% discount for an order of 3 pieces
Star10 : 10% for 6 pcs
Star15 : 15% for 10 pcs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Impressive, to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Very Impressive and I am amazed at how accurate you can cut the teeth by hand in such a close pattern as well as you do . Excellent video , Welcome to the forum , I will keep your work in mind . I dont use rasp at this point , but who knows .

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:38 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Todd Stock wrote:
Noel-
Are your rasps tempered through-and through or case hardened?

For everyone - pricing is similar to other hand-stitched rasps...a 10" 10 grain handled cabinetmaker's rasp is about $115 delivered to the US...this is actually a pretty decent price for what is a hand-made tool. FWIW, I do much of my neck shaping with US-made Nicholson machine-cut rasps and Aurious.

Todd, they are through and through hardened.
As you are comparing prices with Auriou, you should also compare quality.
An australian craftman has recently done a comparative review :
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/rasp ... st-141118/

PS : are you sure Nicholson still produces rasps in the US ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: John
Last Name: coloccia
Liogier wrote:
Todd Stock wrote:
Noel-
Are your rasps tempered through-and through or case hardened?

For everyone - pricing is similar to other hand-stitched rasps...a 10" 10 grain handled cabinetmaker's rasp is about $115 delivered to the US...this is actually a pretty decent price for what is a hand-made tool. FWIW, I do much of my neck shaping with US-made Nicholson machine-cut rasps and Aurious.

Todd, they are through and through hardened.
As you are comparing prices with Auriou, you should also compare quality.
An australian craftman has recently done a comparative review :
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/rasp ... st-141118/

PS : are you sure Nicholson still produces rasps in the US ?

The new rasps are made in Brazil and are junk. I'm sure Todd's are older and very nice, like my old Nicholsons were. My new ones are practically useless, and the deep and unpredictable scratches it leaves are dangerous for anything but the coarsest work. It's a shame, really.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:12 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Cox
I really like the 12" long Auriou #12 and #13 rasps for neck work... including roughing out work. The shorter modellers lengths are fine for small work and getting up into the curves a bit better - but when roughing out a neck - I find I really like a long, fine rasp... The fine cut though it the key to it's use on a neck...

I suppose I could easily be swayed to try out another fine French made rasp... just that until recently - none but the Auriou were available in the USA...

I do have a Brazilian Nicholson #50 that I also use - It seems to do just fine for what it is (About 2-steps away from a Ferrier's Horse shoeing rasp)... It seems to cut pretty fast on woods that have a comparable hardness or softer than mahogany - but that Nicholson just wouldn't do the deed on the Oak neck I did on that Red Oak small body... It was too coarse - and wanted to grab and tear out and rattle and cut very unevenly... Switching to that long #12 and the work went faster and easier....

The last thing I can comment on is that there is technique to rasping.... Either choosing the wrong handed rasp, or using the wrong technique can cause a very rough finish... For example - I really need a "Left handed" long #12 to compliment my Right handed model for neck work - when carving the neck, the Left side of the neck ends up cutting very well with the right handed rasp.... but then - move to the other side and you are driving the rasp against it's grain and it leaves a very rough finish...

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Welcome Noel...and thanks for the education on our fine rasps. Your presentation and explanation was spot on. Thanks also to the usual suspects for asking the questions as only you can do. I now realize the benefits especially based on my current work and struggles with what I use.

Is there any interest in a group purchase to take advantage of the volume discount? I would be interested in at least a #8 to #10 right-handed cabinetmakers rasp. Is this a common model or might another alternative be better for a group buy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:16 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Adam
State: Oklahoma
This may be a stupid question from a newb, but what is the advantage of a hand-made rasp vs. a factory made rasp? I'm a machinist by trade and while a guitar (I believe) is at its best when handmade by a master, a tool I think is at its best when made in a controlled, production machining environment with high quality standards.

I suppose another way to consider the question is whether there are any high quality factory production rasps out there?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'll let the rasp pros answer this one, but I just want to say that your question is far from being stupid. It might open a can of worm, but it is not stupid at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

crazicarl wrote:
This may be a stupid question from a newb, but what is the advantage of a hand-made rasp vs. a factory made rasp? I'm a machinist by trade and while a guitar (I believe) is at its best when handmade by a master, a tool I think is at its best when made in a controlled, production machining environment with high quality standards.

I suppose another way to consider the question is whether there are any high quality factory production rasps out there?

A hand made rasp has random cut teeth. Imagine laminating the blades of 30 saws together making sure that all the teeth of each blade line up perfectly. Now do the same but laminate the blades so that the teeth are staggered in a random manner. I think you should find that the latter method is much easier to start the 'cut' in the wood. It's similar with hand stitched Rasps. They also seem to give a finer finish than their grain equivalent machine made rasps.
Like many tools though (actually, many things in life!) you pay a lot for a relatively small increase in performance. I don't have expensive Planes (apart from the Veritas Apron) but I have a fairly expensive Rasp - it's a Herdim (obviously rebranded), I've no idea who actually make them. I won't go back to the machine rasps that I used to own and my Herdim is 10 years strong. A bit dull but still quite useable.
You don't need a hand stitched rasp. You certainly can get by with cheaper alternatives but sometimes nice things are just. . . nice.
You take your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
Bravo, Noel. And thank you for your work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
I really enjoyed the video, and the rasps look luscious, if that word could be applied to a tool.

I am today profiling a neck on my latest, and I am using the "Dragon" coarse large. They are not "handed" which is something that I like.
These hand-made tools make me feel like a sculptor when I am shaping, especially the hollow parts of the heel, something that is important to me.

I would love to have a French-made rasp like these, I don't really "deserve" one, but it would be nice to have the very best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:56 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Filippo Morelli wrote:
I've ended up turning my own handles for a wide variety of files. The ability to fit the shape and handle style to both my hands and its use contributes to both comfort and feel in use.

Filippo

I totally encourage this ! My rasps are delivered with an handle as I think it is important to have a ready to use tool. But in facts good rasps deserves a handle adapted to the way each one is using it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:16 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Todd Stock wrote:

Also - for the others following the thread and as John mentioned, these hand-stiched rasps are 'handed', which means the rasp is cut to be used by a right handed craftsman on normal work. Where this gets interesting is that when working the treble side of the neck, I switch hands and essentially become a lefty...and the quality of cut suffers. Yes - not a huge increase in roughness of cut, but I think the feel of a right-handed tool used lefty is not as nice and the work suffers. The Nicholsons are not handed, so I usually switch from the Auriou to the Nicholsons where the cut moves from righty to lefty. My next purchase will be a matched set of left-and-right handed cabinet rasps for just this reason.

I was not aware of this kind of problems. Maybe a solution (altought I never did something like that before) that could save you some money, would be to produce a rasp that is right-handed on one side and left-handed on the other side. Right and left handed rasps have the same price since it is the same amount of work for us, and left and right handed rasp would be the same price. Still there is a problem. This would make sense only on a flat rasp (since the two sides have the same shape), I am not sure you could use a right/left handed Cabinet Makers rasps ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:45 am 
Walnut
Walnut

crazicarl wrote:

Thanks for asking that question.

The most important differences are :

- the shape : my rasps are tapered until the end, not truncated like all machine made rasps are. Machines cannot do the teeth on the narrow half-round shape of the tips. An this part of the files is very often use for more precise works.

- the "random" pattern of teeth on my hand stitched rasps (machines only make linear pattern of teeth) give a smoothness of the obtained surface that is not comparable.

- the teeth are much much much sharper, because the shape of the punch we use. This makes the tip of the punch more likely to break but we don't care because we see it immediatly so this does not damage the rest of the rasp and also because we don't care about productivity but only about quality.

- machines cannot make fine stitching grains : machine made rasps hardly have stitching grain finer than #8

- the teeth are orientated for right handed persons or left handed persons which improves both the cutting power and the chip removal (this last point improves the comfort in use, and by not clogging the rasps, the smoothness of the obtained surface).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:39 pm 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: coloccia
Can someone explain the handedness of rasps to me? I find my self doing almost a drawfiling motion with my rasps, and that works well on either side of the neck. Does a "handed" rasp mean that this won't work anymore? I'm wondering what I'm leaving on the table by having non-handed rasps, and what I would be loosing be having a handed rasp.

Maybe it's the same as I experience with my Iwasaki carving files (that are really more like floats than files.....it's almost like Vixen files designed for wood). Anyhow, I find that I have to use them in a certain direction, almost in a draw filing motion, to get them to cut well. Is that the idea?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:29 am 
Walnut
Walnut

John Coloccia wrote:
Can someone explain the handedness of rasps to me? I find my self doing almost a drawfiling motion with my rasps, and that works well on either side of the neck. Does a "handed" rasp mean that this won't work anymore? I'm wondering what I'm leaving on the table by having non-handed rasps, and what I would be loosing be having a handed rasp.

Maybe it's the same as I experience with my Iwasaki carving files (that are really more like floats than files.....it's almost like Vixen files designed for wood). Anyhow, I find that I have to use them in a certain direction, almost in a draw filing motion, to get them to cut well. Is that the idea?

Not sure if I understood all what you mean. I'll try to answer the part of the questions I understood.

Rasps usually have their teeth orientated towards the tip of the rasps. I cut the teeth of my rasps either for right handed persons or for left handed persons = with teeths slightly orientated on one side or on the other side.
Because when you rasp, the main movement is back and forth, but also accompanied with a slight lateral movement that happens naturaly, almost withoud wanting.
So the teeth being better orientated, the cutting power is increased, and the chips are removed more easily (that's also an important issue for rasps).
Hope it helps.