It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Disc Sander Safety Tip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

A couple weeks ago, I had a small accident with my disc sander. I have a small 12" JET disc sander with 100 grit ceramic sandpaper (great stuff by the way and lasts forever). For the most part, this isn't that dangerous a tool unless you do something truly moronic - I know a number of you and that isn't outside the realms of possibility 8-)

Here's the safety tip -- make sure the sandpaper fits the disc exactly the same around the perimeter of the disc. I had recently replaced the sandpaper but it wasn't centered exactly and was overhanging one side more than the other. I accidentally nicked my finger - normally, this would have just resulted in a small scrap but the sandpaper acted like a blade and sliced the skin off the end of my finger. I am completely healed in just over 2 weeks but it hurt like hell when it happened. So just make sure the "overhang" (if you have any) is even and the sandpaper disc is perfectly centered.

Stay Safe Everyone!!!

--
Simon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tom
Last Name: Rein
City: Saline
State: Michigan
Focus: Build
Good tip. Where do you get the ceramic discs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've been getting mine from the Shopsmith website. I'm sure somebody else makes them as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hi Simon,
Thanks again for sending me that metal sanding disc. I have it mounted to a motor and the beginnings of a base built, but still need to make a table to rest the work piece on.
I will keep your safety suggestions in mind when I mount the sandpaper. Sliced fingertips can be some of the most painful injuries for guitar players.
The worst injury I have had (so far) as a cabinetmaker was from getting my finger caught in a beltsander (with the trigger locked on!) Within a couple of seconds it ground 1/2 the thickness of my finger off down to the first joint. It ground off the end of the bone, so when my finger healed up it was about 1/4 inch shorter than before the accident. Luckily, enough of the nail bed was left to regrow a slightly misshapen fingernail (which is more than the doctor thought I would have). Seemingly "safe" tools can quickly do damage to our hands.