Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Fred
City: Winnipeg
Focus: Build
The neck for my pine Tele is carved, still want to glue on a headplate. Have not decided what yet though. Need to get something for side fret markers. Never realized I did not have any black. Also making a lightweight combo of sorts. To be technical it really a speaker cabinet and head although the head could easily slip into a guitar bag. It will be powered by a laptop power supply, have a switchable 5F6A Bassman / 5D3 Deluxe preamp, and a switching amplifier for power. The cab is built with the lightest pine board I could find and comes in at 10 lbs. With a 5 lb Yamaha speaker it will be easy to travel with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

^ Wow I would love to see more of that amp combo as it goes along.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have been slowly (these days it's a crawl) working on a white oak parlor that my wife and I sanded the neck straight so I could fret it. Always fretted my instruments after the guitar was finished and assembled. Took me two days to pound in the frets, I shake so much now that it is hard to get the glue on the fret and start it in the slot. Was able to lower the saddle Monday and take down the nut some. It's playable, but will take the saddle down a bit more and take a little off the top of the bridge. Then I can level the frets.
I am fortunate that I have a friend and master repair person (36 years in the business) helping me by spraying two others and buff another yet. Then I will attempt to assemble and set them up. What used to take minutes now takes hours, even days...
I will have some photos of the parlor up in a couple of weeks.
I also have an O-45 copy that I varnished a long time ago. It had been sitting in a corner of the shop so, we decided to string it up and sell it for whatever. Short story is that I think it was built with TiteBond and minutes after it was strung up, the bridge lifted. So, I stripped it (tuners, strings etc) and the bridge literally fell off. I will take off the violin varnish, leave the neck on and have it lacquered, Gibson style. That should bring the value back up to high standards. From my memory, it was a good guitar (BRW), but not a Larson. Guess it will be my Joan Baez guitar...

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Ken McKay (Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:29 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:21 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Jonathan
Last Name: coleman
City: rome
State: ny
Zip/Postal Code: 13440
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

While we are doing show and tell...I'm not doing a lot of my guitar work right now as I'm full on doing my canoe building. I have five orders for these. #1 is getting final paint, #2 is seen here recently having had the ribs bent.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author douglas ingram for the post: bcombs510 (Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 am)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Just finished a 4 string to 5 string Dean fretless bass conversion and now also finished with flattening, regrinding, and honing two sets (13 total) of vintage Ulmia Two Cherries brand chisels. Very much a 'wax on, wax off' exercise - unlike the modern chisels from Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley, these blades NEED flattening! My Sunday was spent on the 7 chisel set...and not surprisingly, what I learned on those tools made the 6 tool set work much faster. I was lucky and found the set of six had the smaller sized handles on the 20 and 26mm sizes.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Haans. Les Paul almost retired completely from music in his seventies because he 'couldn't play like he used to'.
A friend of his said 'then play like you still can'. he played into his nineties.
Hope to see you around for many years to come

Brent

These users thanked the author bftobin for the post: Haans (Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
bftobin wrote:
Haans. Les Paul almost retired completely from music in his seventies because he 'couldn't play like he used to'.
A friend of his said 'then play like you still can'. he played into his nineties.
Hope to see you around for many years to come

Brent

+1 on that one.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Haans (Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Good to hear you are still with us Haans.

These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post: Haans (Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Haans
It might be slow work but I am sure it is good work. And you are inspiring others, whether you know it or not. I am a relative novice - I have built 5 guitars so far and I an having a go at a mandolin style instrument for my latest project. I have been poring over photographs on your website and have adopted your idea of CF rods for longitudinal stiffness. Your instruments look amazing, and your sharing on forums and internet is extremely beneficial to others. Many thanks for your generosity and wisdom.
Best wishes
Mark

These users thanked the author Mark Mc for the post: Haans (Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
Getting ready to cut this up for 2 furniture top. Claro walnut 12' x 3' x 3"
Hope there is enough left for a few back and sides

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Finished prep sanding today on this parlor-size guitar and now it's on to applying the finish.

Attachment:
Ready for finish 1.jpg

Attachment:
Ready for finish 2.jpg

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Jay
That parlor guitar looks delicious. Very nice combination of timbers. Are those two-piece sides?
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
They are one-piece sides but there is a strong figure line that runs the length that sort of gives that appearance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Good to see you posting Haans! I just finished binding the F holes and am fitting the braces on a 17" archtop using the Smith Creek plates I got from you a while back. Man do I hate binding F holes.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): Haans (Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:39 pm) • bcombs510 (Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:43 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
I've been making some spool clamps with handles for quick tightening. Love these.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

J De Rocher wrote:
Finished prep sanding today on this parlor-size guitar and now it's on to applying the finish.

Jay.......NICE!

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: J De Rocher (Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 am)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last weekend I spent the day milling an old maple tree into billets for future projects. The tree is estimated to be about 300 years old. She fell down on a very calm day just missing an 1800's log cabin on an old Virginia plantation that is now a museum. The Museum offered the tree to local craftsmen in return for something for charity. I plane on building a C. Bruno parlor guitar.

What's left of the tree

Flitch cutting slabs with an Alaskan portable mill and a Stihl 660

The Slabs

Bandsawing billets

Manageable sized chunks

Resawn, stacked, stickered and sealed end grain

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10