Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm making an 19" acoustic bass for a customer who plays, among other things, his take on traditional Norwegian fiddle tunes, world music and what not. On a bass, yes you read that correctly. Anyways, the customer also wants the traditional "rosing" on the soundboard of the instrumet, a type of black pen-and-ink decorative drawing, which will be done by a Hardanger fiddle maker in another part of the coutry. So the customer took the finished bass body to the guy, and sent me this picture. I admit I'm a bit apprehensive by the new direction of this project, what do you guys think? I mean, where am I going to find a case for it?

Attachment:
IMG_0107.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
Focus: Build
Been working on a guitar made with ALL USA woods.

http://ensorguitars.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Arnt Rian wrote:
I'm making an 19" acoustic bass for a customer who plays, among other things, his take on traditional Norwegian fiddle tunes, world music and what not. On a bass, yes you read that correctly. Anyways, the customer also wants the traditional "rosing" on the soundboard of the instrumet, a type of black pen-and-ink decorative drawing, which will be done by a Hardanger fiddle maker in another part of the coutry. So the customer took the finished bass body to the guy, and sent me this picture. I admit I'm a bit apprehensive by the new direction of this project, what do you guys think? I mean, where am I going to find a case for it?

Attachment:
IMG_0107.jpg

It looks like a Bass-o-lin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Arnt Rian wrote:
I'm making an 19" acoustic bass for a customer who plays, among other things, his take on traditional Norwegian fiddle tunes, world music and what not.

Is he planning to use conventional strings or those rubber band strings and a piezo pickup? My brother has one of those itty bitty basses that uses the round black rubber O-ring material "strings" and piezo pickups. He loves it.

Otherwise - how would you get enough tension on the strings so they aren't floppy when tuned down to bass at a 19" length...

Next - I see 9 tuning peg holes but the fretboard looks like it's about 1" wide... Are 5 strings going inside the neck? interesting. How does that work for plucked strings rather than bowed?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Chris Ensor wrote:

That's really pretty. I like the look of that.

What's your opinion on Osage orange for back and sides?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
truckjohn wrote:
Arnt Rian wrote:
I'm making an 19" acoustic bass for a customer who plays, among other things, his take on traditional Norwegian fiddle tunes, world music and what not.

Is he planning to use conventional strings or those rubber band strings and a piezo pickup? My brother has one of those itty bitty basses that uses the round black rubber O-ring material "strings" and piezo pickups. He loves it.

Otherwise - how would you get enough tension on the strings so they aren't floppy when tuned down to bass at a 19" length...

Next - I see 9 tuning peg holes but the fretboard looks like it's about 1" wide... Are 5 strings going inside the neck? interesting. How does that work for plucked strings rather than bowed?

I think the photo's a bit of a leg pull......
Look at the masking for the FB extention.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin North wrote:
I think the photo's a bit of a leg pull......
Look at the masking for the FB extention.

Yup sorry, it was my poor attempt at a joke. The instrument will get a normal bass neck, the fiddle maker just stuck that little neck on there for a laugh. But hey, who knows, maybe it could make some "interesting" noises... :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Ensor
City: Springfield
State: Missouri
truckjohn wrote:
Chris Ensor wrote:

That's really pretty. I like the look of that.

What's your opinion on Osage orange for back and sides?

I works wonderfully, bends easily, and has no odd odor. It taps similar to some of the denser rosewoods. Not sure about the end result just yet. I'll know more soon (ish).

http://ensorguitars.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A new ladder braced concert. Still not used to gluing on so few braces but man do they sound nice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Love to see progress on ths Steven.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

New on the bench is to be a deep bodied, multiscale OM cutaway with a wedged body in EIR.
Plans drawn, started with the fretboard as it will be built around that, and made and tested an electric bending iron for the cutaway.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: bcombs510 (Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:02 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Steve Wheeler Said, A new ladder braced concert. Still not used to gluing on so few braces but man do they sound nice.

Very interesting design. How can I find out more?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've been wanting to make a version of the old Martin renaissance guitar for years and am finally getting to do it. LOTS of work building jigs for this guy but it has gotten me here, which is a good thing! :

Attachment:
renaissance-block-web.jpg

For reference, this is the guitar I am basing the design off of: http://www.vintagemartin.com/Martin1840Renaissance.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
That's very cool and yours has an extra level of complication with the sides being concave where they meet the heel. The sides on the Martin are skewed vertically as they approach the neck, but they are flat vertically .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

J De Rocher wrote:
That's very cool and yours has an extra level of complication with the sides being concave where they meet the heel. The sides on the Martin are skewed vertically as they approach the neck, but they are flat vertically .

Thanks for noticing that! It is a small thing but turned out to be a PITA to implement. Will be easier next time.
I figured in 170 years I needed to come up with at least something a little more complicated!. And then, of course, remembered that they used 2 piece sides :0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Shanklin
City: Windsor
State: ON
Looking forward to seeing more on this build, Burton.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Wow, what kind of tool do you even use to shape that? Gouge and scraper? Making perfectly matching cauls would not be easy either... I'd probably just approximate them out of wood and then use friendly plastic to fill the gaps. Kind of cheating for a renaissance design, but it sure beats chalk fitting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

There are some pictures of the jigs in the AGF thread here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru ... 364&page=3

I had one master outside form with 2 replaceable inserts for the compound section. I did use friendly plastic to make the clamping cauls! It worked pretty good but shrunk more than I would like. I had to use quite a bit of medium hard rubber to even out inconsistencies.

Those forms were to laminate the sides. I then bonded those to the neck block which I carved to match. Some tedious work but a fun change from normal.

All the carving was chisels and sanding, with a little rasp work. I don't have any gouges but the Spanish cedar I used for most of it is soft enough to be easy to shape. Love that stuff!

Easing the wood into the compound curve was the hardest part. Using that curly koa did not help!

These users thanked the author Burton LeGeyt for the post: DennisK (Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joe Beaver wrote:
Very interesting design. How can I find out more?

This thread by John How http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=15768&hilit=my+recipe is a good start. Most of his photos were linked through his website and are gone since he retired from the craft. Forum member Haans posted quite a few ladder braced builds on numerous forums over the years. A wealth of information can be garnered from his generous offerings.

Nice to see another build by Burton. The CF in the mortise pocket is new, what's the story there? I like seeing your neck block, it reminds me that mine is not overkill. You get the elegance votes for sure.

These users thanked the author StevenWheeler for the post: Haans (Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 am)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Thanks Steve. Very good stuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Shanklin
City: Windsor
State: ON
Burton LeGeyt wrote:
There are some pictures of the jigs in the AGF thread here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru ... 364&page=3

Thanks for the link, Burton.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

StevenWheeler wrote:
Nice to see another build by Burton. The CF in the mortise pocket is new, what's the story there? I like seeing your neck block, it reminds me that mine is not overkill. You get the elegance votes for sure.

Since the template curves and the block gets so thin at the heel I wanted to reinforce it- Having seen how many clamps I used to get everything to conform to the block when locking in the sides I am glad I did. I could see that section collapsing without the CF to hold it in place. On a standard block I don't worry about it- plenty of meat around it to maintain the shape.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs

Got the binding on this Uke, should have the neck and bridge on this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:36 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice work as usual from everyone.

This shot is in homage to the hand stitched rasp thread. Ever since I got the Dragon Rasp it almost feels like cheating now. I guess I always thought rasps were crude instruments and heels and neck volute should be done with knives and chisels. That was before I actually had a quality made rasp. Now there is no going back. This is a tenor guitar neck.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 3): James Orr (Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 pm) • bcombs510 (Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm) • SteveSmith (Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:07 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I was using a Dragon rasp on a neck yesterday. I was fortunate enough about a couple years ago to pick up a small collection of six different ones on ebay for a song and they are a favorite of mine. I wrap the tips of the really pointy ones in blue tape to keep from spearing myself or other things in the immediate vicinity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next