PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Thanks for your patience! [:Y:]

We finally have the dates for the first two days of classes, Fretting and Set-Up for Builders scheduled for March 30 and 31st 2017. This is a Thursday and Friday which is a little different from what we have done in the past.

I know that some of you have expressed interest and I will be PMing you to get your attention for these dates.

Complete class descriptions are available here: http://www.annarborguitars.com/styled-6/index.html

Going forward we are only offering the two days of classes and won't be splitting the classes out unless we can schedule something for just one day.

Price for two days of classes is $600 with $300 due upon booking your seat(s) and the deposit is non-refundable since these seats are in high demand and perishable.

You will leave the classes with a completely fretted and perfectly set-up instrument. Interestingly for the builders that we ghost fret and set-up for we charge more than this.... :? :)

Our classes also make excellent gifts and it is the Holiday Season.:)

To book your seat(s) please call me at Ann Arbor Guitars, 734 332-6142 or PM me here.

Ann Arbor Guitars proactively donates 10% of the proceeds of our classes to the OLF as well.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
You don't have to be goofy to take the classes but it doesn't hurt laughing6-hehe

The best two luthiery days I spent last year for sure!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Hesh (Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:10 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:11 am 

Thanks Steve!!! :)

One seat has been booked, three seats left AND tuition to our Fretting and Set-Up classes makes an excellent Holiday gift (hint, hint :)).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Focus: Build
Anyone wanting to up their game on guitar fretting and set up? This has been strung up a week today, did the final tweak on the trussrod, nut & saddle, plays like butta :mrgreen: 4/64" bass under 3/64" treble not a buzz anywhere. Ann Arbor Guitars thanks again Hesh and Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Clinchriver on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post: Hesh (Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 am 

Nice going Greg! I see some really nice work there my friend. Congratulations!!!

BTW as you know that's pretty low action and even lower than the Martin Specs for low action. For this to be possible your fret plane has to be darn near perfect!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Clinchriver (Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:45 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wow that's impressive! Is that a perfectly level fret plane or is relief put into the frets somehow? Was any of the fret work done with thr strings on?

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Clinchriver (Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yep, Greg was paying close attention while we were up there. Nice work indeed!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Hesh (Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:59 am) • Clinchriver (Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
If I might add to what Clinchriver said, if you take the fretting class, you're going to learn a whole bunch of other stuff, aside from fretting. When I took the class with Greg and Steve, there were too many holy cr@p moments to count! This isn't like a YouTube video - you're in close, and get to see the nuance of what David and Hesh's hands are doing, and why. Oh, and the pizza lunch is great, too! :D

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post (total 3): Hesh (Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:59 am) • Clinchriver (Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm) • Bri (Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

pat macaluso wrote:
Wow that's impressive! Is that a perfectly level fret plane or is relief put into the frets somehow? Was any of the fret work done with thr strings on?

Just a hint of relief on the bass side of things, strings off. One of David Collings first statements was "metal is jello and wood is butter". How you hold the neck and where you support it while leveling is the difference between out of the park and grounding out. Plus attention to detail, no detail is too small or insignificant to not address. Great class/experiance and is it ever paying off. :mrgreen:

BTW these frets are the vile Jescar 47/90 SS, with 5 degree bevel on the fret ends

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post (total 4): Hesh (Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:00 am) • Rocky Road (Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:54 pm) • Alex Kleon (Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:17 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, must be a great class. Again, very impressive!

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: Clinchriver (Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:29 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:06 am 

Great to see you guys really "getting it" and putting it to very good use!

It's very gratifying when you can completely solve someone's issues as well with a highly skilled fret dress. I did two of them Friday and both clients are thrilled.

UPDATE: I took the class schedule off our web site and Dave and I decided to hold off on future classes.

These are VERY long days for us and our friends who take the classes AND it's not worth our while unless we have 3 - 4 students in so much as we bear opportunity costs not being able to do billable hours with our repair work. I personally don't like getting stuck in elevators either especially when I didn't bring any scotch....:)

We will do future classes when a group of you of 3 or 4 can get together and commit. We also offer and have offered and held private, custom classes for 2 or more. Contact me if you have any interest.

Many thanks and I am proud as punch to hear about the results that you guys are getting!!!!! [clap] [clap] [clap]

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 3): bcombs510 (Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 am) • Alex Kleon (Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:47 am) • Clinchriver (Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:02 am)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
I definitely need this class.

Sending you a private message Hesh.

These users thanked the author Durero for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:57 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Robert
Last Name: Ionta
City: Hopkinton
State: Massachusetts
Zip/Postal Code: 01748
Alex Kleon wrote:
If I might add to what Clinchriver said, if you take the fretting class, you're going to learn a whole bunch of other stuff, aside from fretting. When I took the class with Greg and Steve, there were too many holy cr@p moments to count! This isn't like a YouTube video - you're in close, and get to see the nuance of what David and Hesh's hands are doing, and why. Oh, and the pizza lunch is great, too! :D

Alex

Don't forget the donuts. Never met a donut I didn't like but those were top shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bionta for the post (total 2): Alex Kleon (Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:01 pm) • Hesh (Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:57 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clinchriver wrote:
Anyone wanting to up their game on guitar fretting and set up? This has been strung up a week today, did the final tweak on the trussrod, nut & saddle, plays like butta :mrgreen: 4/64" bass under 3/64" treble not a buzz anywhere. Ann Arbor Guitars thanks again Hesh and Dave

Quick question, Greg. Are you measuring to the top of the string or the bottom? I've always measured to the bottom of the string, but it looks like your measuring to the top?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:03 pm 

Not sure but I think Greg is using 32nds. We like 64th" better and often pass info to each other, Dave and I as 2.3 and 5.8/64th" which of course is a guess but as you can see we are even specific beyond 1/64th".

It's getting harder for me to see this too.... these days..... Blind Mellon Luthier here.....:)

Bit more, this measurement has meaning only after the rod is adjusted and the nut slots have been properly cut. Measuring at the 12th in 64th" tells us what we want to do with the saddle.

One reason why 64th" is useful over 32nds" is say with Martin specs for 13's on a Dr*ad of 5 and 7 64th". You can't represent that with 32nds unless you make up your own notation as I do.... or use thousands of an inch and I can see that......;)

And it's measured from the fret crown (12th) to the bottom.... of the string.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ahhh. Got it, got it. Thanks, Hesh [:Y:]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

James Orr wrote:
Clinchriver wrote:

Quick question, Greg. Are you measuring to the top of the string or the bottom? I've always measured to the bottom of the string, but it looks like your measuring to the top?

Bottom of the string, My rule read in1/32" on the end I had it oriented for the photos, the 64's would have been upside down. I'm ok with 64's but really prefer 1/1000's but talk the talk.

Also we had our monthly "Luthiers" haha meeting at the local Woodcraft yesterday. My road warrior buddy Steve Smith got to play the new D-28 and approved. Several comments about it played better than quite a few electrics. One member who wants to go full time into building and repair is very interested in a trip to Ann Arbor, you can blame me :mrgreen:

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post (total 2): James Orr (Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:04 am) • Hesh (Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:23 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

That D28 sounded and played great. I was trying to figure a way to sneak it out and take it home with me :)

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Hesh (Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:18 am) • Clinchriver (Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:07 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:04 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Rob
Last Name: Lak
State: Massachusetts
For those of you thinking of this class, put me on your contact list as I am interested... I have most all the materials to start my 2nd/3rd builds and hope to start this week, but time is scarce so I am not sure when i'll be ready for the class. Hoping for early summer...

Rob

These users thanked the author Robert Lak for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Follow up, my lovely wife is an RN at one of the local hospitals. One of her favorite Docs is a gigging musician, and he's been wanting to check out some of my guitars. She hauled the D-28 in to work this morning. She sent me a text quoting doc "Truly impressed I did not expect it to be this good" and I've never played an acoustic with an action this low that did not buzz anywhere :mrgreen:

Pre fretting and set up class last May, I was a typical hobby builder pretty good wood working chops, frets kicked my butt, I still have a lot to learn, and definitely practice makes perfect, but......having a clear idea of where to go, and what to do to execute my vision is really sweet. I cannot recommend these classes enough.

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post: Hesh (Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Riedmiller
State: WI
I know I've already posted about the quality of the tutelage from Dave Collins and Hesh's class. But I felt like I had to gush a bit more if you feel like you're on the fence as to whether to sign up or not. I took what they taught me back to my shop. I ended up re fretting and going back over the setup on all my builds. The method Dave teaches will get you where you need to go for string height. Heck I'm gonna sign up again just for the doughnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Rocky Road for the post: Hesh (Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:33 am)