PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
Endless discussions here about avoiding color bleed while applying epoxy pore fill. Shellac never worked for me because it somewhat dissolves under epoxy. Today, I used a catalyzed sealer for oily woods (thank you Brian) that not only totally prevented that on coco and African bw, it also sealed top and I expect zero grain rise under waterborne finish. I used it on Dry woods too. Love it. You know how as you squeegee the epoxy it changes color? Stayed clear the whole time. Never lifted oils.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
That sounds interesting. What is it and which waterborne finish are you using?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I'm with Jay, he asks good questions

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: Mike OMelia (Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:52 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I should have thought this through before posting. Sealer is a fire/explosion hazard. If u really want to know, pm me. Top coat is enduro var urethane

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: edstrummer (Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:02 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:44 am 
Koa
Koa

I always found that doing a quick base coat which wets the surface, but i don't move it around or try to fill anything, sealed the wood without smearing the color. I wait the recoat time and then do the actual pore filling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hey all. I've had time to experiment and rethink the issue. This product is awesome!!! And u don't have to spray it. The spray part worried me as it is MEK based and very flammable. U can safely apply with a brush or a lint free towel. Prestec. 58x1. 2 parts. Stuff will go a long way. One cap full (product and catalyzer each) will more than seal a top. Make it four for the whole body. Toss the shellac if u font like it (I don't). Great underlay for waterborne sprays. Grain won't rise. I used this on tops and sides and backs before west clear epoxy. http://www.simteccoatings.com/MSDS.ivnu

Note: I only use z-poxy on mahogany necks now. I like how west epoxy does not change color of colored woods. And it seems way more reliable, workable.

Note: Prestec 58x1 minimizes color bleed in oily woods when epoxy is applied. It also is a great sealer for any wood (Dry or oily). Finally, it is awesome for sealing spruce tops to prevent grain rise when applying waterborne finish. It will not significantly darken spruce (it will give a wet look similar to mineral spirits, but lighter).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I want to bump this as I see all the time requests for how to effectively seal wood (and spruce tops) and prevent color bleed during epoxy pore fill. Been doing this stuff for a while, and I'm sure there are other similar products. But this one is quite a step above shellac. No gumminess. Not likely to get dirt in it during build process. Prevents absolutely grain rise. Light color. And oily woods will not bleed during epoxy pore fill. And it's not expensive. Can apply with lint free rag. What's not to like?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
Sounds like a very useful product. Where do you get this magic elixir?

Do you think it would cause issues with normal oil varnish curing? Amine blush that you have to clean off?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

http://www.simteccoatings.com. Prestec 58x1. It's a two part system. Please do not spray unless u are properly equipped. Rub on is good enough. I cannot answer ur question. Please test and inform. My use is prestec, west system clear epoxy, endurovar gloss waterborne urethane. No issues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
I'm not sure what this does. Forgive the ignorance. What is the problem we are trying to fix? I thought epoxy "sealed" the wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Epoxy is a pore fill item. In its wet state, it will lift oils in oily wood and spread color around. Bleed into binding. Etc. Normally, folks apply shellac (spray on) as a way to seal the wood. But shellac is not surefire against epoxy bleed. I have never liked putting shellac on top wood. Have to sand it off. And, the top is still going to have grain rise under waterborne.

A sealer like Prestec takes care of both problems. If you work with dryer woods and like shellac on top as a sealer against grain rise, then you do not have a problem.