Walnut

First name: Ikenna
Last Name: Ogbonna
City: Lagos
State: Lagos
Zip/Postal Code: 23401
Focus: Build
Hello Fam,

I'm new here. And I've been reading through the some of the topics and they are really interesting.

I intend to setup a guitar building workshop (Never built one myself).

What tools do I require and are there any books or videos I can get to aid my first experience?

I intend to build acoustic and electric guitars. (which will be easier to start with?)

I'll appreciate your comments.

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: G
Andy Birko came up with this list as an answer to this. Good luck.

Quote:
Something to cut the rosette channel.

Something to cut the binding & purfling channel.

Something to dome the top with.

Some way to joint and join the top and back

Some way to bend the sides

Some sort of mold for the body

Some way to make a fretboard

Clamps for:
Gluing Lining
Cluing the braces
Gluing the top & back to the body

I'm probably forgetting steps but those are the main things for which you might need specialty items. In all cases, there's a variety of tools you could use from hand methods to power tools and they all work well. In some cases (clamps especially) one item can be used for a variety of options.

Check out the instructions for the stew-mac guitar kit, they're very well written and have an excellent (though somewhat large) tool list in there as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:31 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks Steve.

Do I have to make the mold locally?

And how do I determine the dimensions and materials to use for the mold (some pictures will help)?

Hope I'm not asking for too much?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:42 am 
Koa
Koa

Your last comments/questions indicate that the post question seems "way premature"---- get a book on the subject Jonathan Kinkead has a good one with much detail, of course there are others. There's a couple of good ones for DYI electric guitars as well. IMO you first need to get a feel as to what this hobby is all about.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post (total 2): qrwteyrutiyoup (Sat May 14, 2016 2:51 am) • dpetrzelka (Mon May 09, 2016 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:15 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks Ken.
Will do just that :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

+1 for what ken said..Jonathan kinkead book comes with a dreadnought plan.. I would strongly recommend a kit as a intro to acoustic building. .it helped me so much and the people on this forum are always a great help :)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
Ken makes KMG Success Kits that are a great start - taught me a lot about building. This isn't the only way to get started, but if you follow his directions, its a great way to build a very good instrument and learn a lot about the process. No mystery, just solid, logical approach, that doesn't rely on an initial investment of a lot of specialized tools.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/kitinfopackage.html

Instructions for his kits:
http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/kitmanual.html

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Welcome, some good advice here. And, of course, keep reading this forum and you will soon start to get a feel for the tools and processes used. Also, be careful - this can be a very addictive pastime laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
lots of reference material out there
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... k+guitars+
here are over 90 videos to help you see the process

if you are near CF Martin take a tour and see the factory

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It's possible to make a guitar with really minimal tooling. I think the only things you'd really need that plug in are a router, and some sort of heater for bending sides, and in a pinch you can bend them with a propane torch in a pipe. Keep in mind that some of the finest and fanciest guitars ever made were built entirely with hand tools. Look up the work of Joachim Tielke if you want to see what can be done without power tools. He had apprentices, we have power tools...

In many respects, the two most important tools in my shop are the sharpening stones and the file cabinet, where I keep the records of past work. Other than that the things you'll really need are ones that you can't buy, and will need no matter what methods you use to remove wood: patience, attention to detail, and a willingness to do it over until you get it right.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: dpetrzelka (Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Just one last detail:

A solid body electric is MUCH simpler to build and can be done with very simple tools. I think the Melvyn Hiscock book is a go to for many people. I built my first one in my father's car port using hand drill, router, and jig saw.

An acoustic guitar is a beast of a different sort and requires much more woodworking and either crazy good hand tool skills or a fairly well equipped shop.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
It has been determined in a previous post that a jointer is pretty much required.
Just kidding , of course.
An electric is likely simpler to build, particularily if a solid body, unbound.
But my personal experience has found that the cost of decent quality pick ups, pots, switches, jacks etc. drove the cost quite high.
Due to your location you may find some suitable, even premium wood at a reasonable cost. Acoustic tops may prove to be a challenge.
A router will be indispensable, along with some type of drill. Other tools required will largely depend on your budget and how you acquire wood.
The acoustic kit suggestions are right on. The kit will give you insight into the the process and have the bulk of the specialized tooling taken care of.

Good luck

These users thanked the author Bri for the post: Ken Jones (Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"I intend to setup a guitar building workshop (Never built one myself)."

What are your eventual expectations for the workshop. Is it a hobby or a one man production shop, or do you intend to have a small factory?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Josh
If you want to set up a shop to build acoustic guitars, the one important pre-requisite is a way to control relative humidity. This could be a through a humidifier, dehumidifier, heating or airconditioning (depending on local conditions), or a even a stand-alone "dry box".

All other questions of tooling are both debatable and frequently debated :P But I suspect the need to control relative humidity is one on which you'd find fairly broad agreement.

I definitely agree with others who've suggested a good book. There are several (Kinkead, Cupmiano/Natelson, Gore/Gilet, Young etc). They almost all have a section discussing recommended and required tools. This varies of course based on the build process taught by each particular author, so start with the book and go from there. The existence of suppliers who can provide materials close to final dimension really cuts down on the tooling requirement for first-time builders.

Of course, just because you don't need a lot of tools doesn't mean you won't acquire a financially-crippling compulsion to start hoarding them anyhow. :P

These users thanked the author joshnothing for the post (total 2): Mista Skies (Tue May 10, 2016 6:29 am) • Bryan Bear (Mon May 09, 2016 7:04 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
SteveSmith wrote:
Also, be careful - this can be a very addictive pastime laughing6-hehe

Ain't that the truth!
Does EC have a crossroads program for luthaholics?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Lawrence
State: Kansas
Zip/Postal Code: 66047
joshnothing wrote:
Of course, just because you don't need a lot of tools doesn't mean you won't acquire a financially-crippling compulsion to start hoarding them anyhow. :P

Yes watch out for TAS (Tool Acquisition Syndrome)
and WAS (Wood Acquisition Syndrome)

Finding someone with GAS is always a great. :P

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Foster
City: Napa
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94558
The first essential tools are the following.

1. get some books. If you only get one choose between the Kinkead or Cupianno books. Figure out what kind of learning style you have. Cupianno's book has no bling although there is a wealth of information in their. Kinked's book has lots of glossy photos and also has a lot of info.

2. Be sure to have high speed internet as Youtube has a wealth of info and lots of good Luthiers post tutorials.

3. Don't spend a bunch of money yet. Sit down and systematically read the entire Forum here and try a few others as well.

4. Lots of people start out with kits that have been partially serviced. This could be the following, sides bent, tops back joined and rough thickness sanded, and many other options depending on the supplier. Click on the Links at eh top of this page to check out the people who are a part of this forum ( suppliers, kit makers)

5. What ever you do do not buy a bunch of wood. Its important to understand what one is purchasing. When I first started I bought a bunch of wood from Ebay and I didn't even know that i was buying. I thought i knew a lot because I've done a lot of woodworking for 30+ years. I didn't know idly about rift sawn, dead qtr, runout and a multitude of other topics just pertaining to tonewood.

6. Whatever you do do not buy a bunch of tools. You can actually accomplish a lot with very little.

These users thanked the author dofthesea for the post: Mista Skies (Tue May 10, 2016 6:31 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
dofthesea wrote:
5. What ever you do do not buy a bunch of wood. Its important to understand what one is purchasing. When I first started I bought a bunch of wood from Ebay and I didn't even know that i was buying. I thought i knew a lot because I've done a lot of woodworking for 30+ years. I didn't know idly about rift sawn, dead qtr, runout and a multitude of other topics just pertaining to tonewood.

6. Whatever you do do not buy a bunch of tools. You can actually accomplish a lot with very little.

Good advice :) Wait until you've built at least one or two before you start hoarding wood. Even buying from reputable tonewood suppliers, I made a few poor choices in my early days. It's sad how much wood is cut into two-piece guitar backs, but would have been functionally much better as 3 or 4 piece backs. Or is inappropriate for guitars nomatter how it's cut.

And tools are highly dependent on how you like to work, so it's easy to end up with a bunch that you'll never use, or that you occasionally use but could have put the money toward something better. Start with as few as possible, and when you get irritated because some tool you don't have would make your life easier, then go out and buy that tool. Eventually you'll have a perfectly personalized set :)

For me, the luxury tools that were the biggest bang for the buck are my 8x3" DMT dia-sharp stones, extra-extra-coarse and extra-extra-fine. One more grit in the middle and a waterstone for polishing are nice to have, but not necessary. The XXC is highly versatile. I use it as a sanding block on wood, and for thinning and flattening inlay materials, as well as its primary use of sharpening tools, and especially flattening the backs of new blades which takes forever on finer abrasives. Sometimes I even use it as a fingernail file :lol:

These users thanked the author DennisK for the post (total 2): Bryan Bear (Tue May 10, 2016 9:19 am) • Mista Skies (Tue May 10, 2016 6:36 am)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:38 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Clay S. wrote:
"I intend to setup a guitar building workshop (Never built one myself)."

What are your eventual expectations for the workshop. Is it a hobby or a one man production shop, or do you intend to have a small factory?

I intend to have a small factory. Interestingly, right now in my country, I only know of one local Luthier who is getting old and out of business. Its a demand with literally no supply.
So I intend to fill that gap. I have no ideas yet, but I'm glad so far with the contributions from members of this forum. It already feels like something I can do.

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:42 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Bri wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:
Also, be careful - this can be a very addictive pastime laughing6-hehe

Ain't that the truth!
Does EC have a crossroads program for luthaholics?

I sure wouldn't mind getting addicted. bliss

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:01 am 
Walnut
Walnut

To everyone who has contributed so far Steve, Kencierp, Cablepuller1, dptrzelka, SteveSmith, Alan Carruth, rlrhett, Bri, Clay S, Joshnothing, David Rickard, dofthesea, Dennis K, bluescreek.. Thanks a bunch.

I'll be getting a few tools to startup soon.

Also, I wouldn't mind buying a few "neatly used" tools and books from members of this group... It'll do me a great deal of help as some of these resources are not available in my region.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

When I wanted to start building acoustic guitars I decided to first build an electric. As others stated it is a much simpler project however it will give you your first experience in building a neck, fretboard and fretting an instrument. To some extent it even gives you experience in setting the proper neck angle. Funny to be talking about this because just the other day I went through my closet stash of guitar cases and pulled out this first guitar I ever built. I built it in 1990 and it's had several mods since then but has been in it's case for at least 5 years. It looks horrible but it still plays great and sounds good too.

Fun stuff!

I also want to mention that after my first electric guitar I found some real cheapo plywood dreadnought guitars and re-topped them with a spruce top. That was a good lesson not only in repair work but in bracing a top and getting to see how much of a difference that made on a cheap guitar was an eye opener for sure. It would also help you acquire your own set of tools and perhaps even start down the path of your own style of building.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Finn.t.guitar56 (Wed May 11, 2016 1:55 pm)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Since your intention is to have a small factory, I would suggest you start with electric guitars. They require less tooling and fixtures, and in their simplest form, less skill to construct. Study some of the designs from the Fender company. The original Telecaster (Broadcaster) was a very basic guitar, simply made, and greatly loved.
After your workman have mastered the construction and set up of an electric solidbody, then you might attempt to tool up and build acoustics. Acoustics have more parts, require greater attention to detail, and are less forgiving to errors in their construction.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brad
Last Name: Hall
City: Windsor
State: Ca.
Zip/Postal Code: 95492
Building a new shop and starting out building acoustic guitars is a big step without any experience or local guidance. You say an elder luthier in your area can't keep up with demand and will soon retire. This sounds like a golden opportunity to apprentice under him with an eye towards buying some of his equipment. It will take many guitars to learn the beginning nuances and many more to "possibly" become proficient enough to offer guitars others will want to purchase. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from perusing your dream. I just think being more informed will help you reach it.
Best of luck to you.

These users thanked the author BradHall for the post (total 3): Bryan Bear (Wed May 11, 2016 10:22 am) • Mista Skies (Wed May 11, 2016 1:43 am) • Bri (Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 pm)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 am 
Walnut
Walnut

BradHall wrote:
Building a new shop and starting out building acoustic guitars is a big step without any experience or local guidance. You say an elder luthier in your area can't keep up with demand and will soon retire. This sounds like a golden opportunity to apprentice under him with an eye towards buying some of his equipment. It will take many guitars to learn the beginning nuances and many more to "possibly" become proficient enough to offer guitars others will want to purchase. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from perusing your dream. I just think being more informed will help you reach it.
Best of luck to you.

I agree with you Brad. Truth is, we don't stay in the same state and its quite a distance to get to him (takes about 10 hours by road). As at the last time I visited, he had stopped taking requests to make guitars. However I discussed with him about learning a few techniques under him which he didn't have an issue with. He's willing to teach for free.
I'm already planning a two week class under him. Should take some days off work to travel to his location and see how much I can learn in two weeks.

Thanks again for the advice.