Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Victor
Last Name: Seal
City: Osseo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49266
Focus: Build
I want to use Transtint to achieve a wine\ cranberry\ burgundy stain. What colors do you mix to get that Gibson Wine color?

Post subject: Re: Transtint question.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We have done a number of partial or full refinishes on wine red Gibsons, including a nice Wes Montgomery L-5 that was shedding it's top coats due to sealer/topcoat issues. Neck replacements or refinishes are more of a challenge, although we have been able to achieve close matches between aged bodies and fresh neck finishes with the following approach:

- After careful finish removal from several Gibsons, we believe that a medium brown toner coat (dye-in-lacquer) - similar to Brown Mahogany Transtint - is used to provide a uniform base color for the various wood combinations seen.

- This toner is applied over clear sealer, then a red toner coat (Cherry Red and Bordeaux Transtint at about 5:1 ratio seems to work well) is applied over the brown base coat, and after scraping the bindings, top-coated with clear gloss lacquer.

Hope this helps!

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:03 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bob
Last Name: Howell
City: Atlanta
State: Ga
I got the burgundy color years ago by mixing transtint bright red and black because I had it. But the explanation above appears to be well worked out and might be a better fit to your case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
BobHowell wrote:
I got the burgundy color years ago by mixing transtint bright red and black because I had it. But the explanation above appears to be well worked out and might be a better fit to your case.

Same here Bob.
I reckon because of the chemistry involved, mixing colors may not give an expected result.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:14 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Woodie G wrote:
We have done a number of partial or full refinishes on wine red Gibsons, including a nice Wes Montgomery L-5 that was shedding it's top coats due to sealer/topcoat issues. Neck replacements or refinishes are more of a challenge, although we have been able to achieve close matches between aged bodies and fresh neck finishes with the following approach:

- After careful finish removal from several Gibsons, we believe that a medium brown toner coat (dye-in-lacquer) - similar to Brown Mahogany Transtint - is used to provide a uniform base color for the various wood combinations seen.

- This toner is applied over clear sealer, then a red toner coat (Cherry Red and Bordeaux Transtint at about 5:1 ratio seems to work well) is applied over the brown base coat, and after scraping the bindings, top-coated with clear gloss lacquer.

Hope this helps!

Hey, Woodie. When you spray a dark toner like that about how much dye are you putting in an ounce of lacquer? I always find it hard to strike a balance between too much and obscuring the figure and too little requiring too many coats to get the color where I want it. Thanks.