Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
You should be able to take that JPG and scale it on the computer to get a pattern. You have the distance from the bridge to the top of the upper bout so shouldn't be too hard. Generate a scale PDF and print it on two sheets of paper, tape em together and then make your pattern from that. I've done that with lots of things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Dan
Last Name: Savage
City: Trabuco Canyon
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92679
Guitarizzmo wrote:
I would love an ALPS [:Y:], wanted one for decades, but I would not use it enough to justify the cost of the printer, and even more so the various cartridges, their shelf life would be of concern. I always inlay my logo, and made it simple for just that reason, no one could decipher my signature anyhow.

I may find someone locally who can do a one off for me, and there is a Martin authorized shop near enough worth the trip who I need to get a hold of (not easy), but from the reviews I have read on him, he does great work but does not always show up himself to appointments he schedules for people, and can sit on a minor repair for weeks or even months, without even keeping people up to date on progress.

Like you I'd wanted one for a long time. I was doing a lot of decals, so I was able to justify the cost of the printer.

The cartridges are similar to audio or video cassettes. The 'ink' is on the mylar film, so in theory, it should last forever. (nothing to dry out)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
Part of the problem here is that the veneer isn't just aesthetic, it's structural, and in this instance it's been breeched and doesn't provide the reinforcement of the peghead it once did. One approach would be to to contact Martin about the repair, have them direct you to an authorized service center, then bring the repaired neck ready for the decal along with the veneer and logo you removed. You'd then have a reference for the service center for the repair. You turn over the veneer/logo to them. No one is going to confuse a period Martin neck. As long as Martin instructs the service center to comply, you probably won't have any problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
Looks to me as if there is a conflict between the ideas of 'restoration' and 'repair'. One's much cheaper than the other to do, and owners and service providers need to be on the same page with the same idea. In this case, angina over a decal, I think, drifts into 'restoration' which has a whole different cost structure than 'repair'. As an analogy, repairing a collector-car dented fender exists on a different plane than the same repair at an insurance-driven body shop.