Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

These are from Superior Thermowood, just some samples that John gave me. I think they do these for Gibson and maybe others. Not sure if I should mention this here, since they are not a vendor, but this does not compete with anything that any vendors are selling. Just trying to show that there are domestic wood options.

Grant

These users thanked the author Grant Goltz for the post (total 2): Ken Jones (Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:12 am) • Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:01 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A bit of caution might be in order. All the thermally modified wood I've seen has had much different properties than non-modified stock. In particular, it tends to be very prone to splitting. That may not be as much of a problem on a fingerboard, but I also wonder about the surface hardness over the long term.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I think the real answer is to convince people that fingerboards and bridges don't have to be black. That jatoba board that Fred showed looks lovely!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:51 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Alan Carruth wrote:
A bit of caution might be in order. All the thermally modified wood I've seen has had much different properties than non-modified stock. In particular, it tends to be very prone to splitting. That may not be as much of a problem on a fingerboard, but I also wonder about the surface hardness over the long term.

Well, I have worked with at least 30 species of thermally modified wood, and I have not seen a problem. Surface hardness does not seem to be an issue, and I cannot imagine how that would change "over the long term".

I am at the point that, unless somebody specifically insists on it, I do not even use non-thermally modified wood except for linings, bindings, and other minor trim (rosette, etc.). The increased resonance, and much increased stability, I see as major plusses (and it looks better, too).

As for stability, I can give you a non-lutherie example: I built a 2" thick, 33" wide door, solid wood, edge glued the whole width, 190C thermally modified monkeypod. It has been installed in a below grade setting that, over the past year has been through a cycle of several episodes of a flooded floor to relative humidity of below 15%. During this time the actual width of the door has fluctuated only 1/16 inch. I would not even have thought about building such a door, given the setting, from non-thermally modified wood...just would not have worked.

I will agree that thermally modified (torrefied) wood is a different animal, and there are things we still need to learn, but, so far, I see mostly positive differences over non-TM.

FWIW

Obviously, there are many opinions :D

Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEB-vJic_o

These users thanked the author Pmaj7 for the post: JBoogie (Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 am)