Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Livermore
State: Minnesota
Focus: Build
All the talk of rosewood being banned by Cites has me wondering where the industry will go for brisges and fingerboards?
What are your thoughts/suggestions?

dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Just to be clear, it's not a ban. The use of the word ban has been unnecessarily raising people's blood pressure on various forums. The new regulations allow continued export of rosewood and instruments containing rosewood for commercial purposes with documentation that the wood was harvested legally.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Arnold
City: Newport
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37821
Focus: Repair
A few suggestions:
katalox (AKA Mexican ebony)
gombiera (AKA Brazilian ebony)
macacauba (AKA coyote, maca wood, granadillo, curatinga rosewood)
pau ferro (AKA morado)

These users thanked the author John Arnold for the post (total 3): ernie (Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:01 pm) • Clay S. (Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:01 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:27 am)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Cox
I have made one with Katalox and like it a lot. Finished - it's beautiful and very hard. It's nearly as black as Ebony.

Cumaru - called Brazilian teak or Brown Ebony because of the color
Ipe
Jatoba/Brazilian cherry.

There's also Richlite and Rocklite. I would have already tried these - except they cost TWICE what Rosewood costs and 50% more than Ebony.

I think Richlite and Rocklite have about everything I am looking for in a fretboard wood except they are crazy expensive right now. I will definately try some once the price comes down some.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"I think Richlite and Rocklite have about everything I am looking for in a fretboard wood except they are crazy expensive right now. I will definately try some once the price comes down some. "

I have built countertops out of richlite. When you mill it it produces a fine sticky dust.At the end of the day you will think you spent it in a coal mine. The coal mine might be preferable. I used a piece to make a rail for my tablesaw fence. I have some other scraps That I could use for fingerboards, but I'm not all that enthusiastic about it.
If you can find a cabinet shop who uses it you may be able to pick up some scraps for free.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

There are any number of woods that can be used for bridges if you engineer them right. Walnut is very good, for example, so long as you take into account that it's not as dense or strong as rosewood or ebony. This can actually be an advantage. Making the bridge a bit larger to keep the mass in line with the traditional materials gives you more glue area to help keep it from peeling up, for example. Or you can make it more in line with the usual size and save weight, which can help bring up the treble.

Those of us looking for 'local' North American hardwoods find ebony substitutes the hardest to come up with. Aside from small amounts of 'Texas ebony' there aren't too many woods that grow in the US that are both hard and very dark. It's possible to dye lighter woods, and supplier Tom Thiel has had some luck dying persimmon black all the way through. Since it's the American member of the family of true ebonies, he calls it 'Ozark Ebony'. At the moment he's working out some kinks in the process, at any rate it will probably cost about as much as African ebony, so it may be a while before such things become common in use.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post: nathanpeirson (Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:01 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:35 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Cox
A traditional choice was ebonized pear wood. This has been a traditional choice and was used on all sorts of instruments including the fabled Stradivarii... (Apparently, the Ebony fingerboards were added later..) Many European instruments also used dyed/ebonized Pear for fretboards.

More recently - millions of Harmony guitars made from the 1940's through the 1970's used pear bridges and fretboards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
I am going to give ipe a try, this stuff is harder than most rosewoods, and african ebonies. On par with african blackwood.
It is nasty to work, stains your hands orange with the cuttings and dust, has a fairly plain grain for the most part and a reasonbly consistent colour.
I have hundreds of b/ft of offcuts, if anyone is interested in trying, I would send for the cost of shipping. Due to the weight( this stuff has a sp.gr. of 1.07, it sinks in water) shipping would not be cheap.
PM me if interested.

B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Murray
Last Name: MacLeod
City: Edinburgh
truckjohn wrote:
y.

There's also Richlite and Rocklite. I would have already tried these - except they cost TWICE what Rosewood costs and 50% more than Ebony.

I think Richlite and Rocklite have about everything I am looking for in a fretboard wood except they are crazy expensive right now. I will definately try some once the price comes down some.

Pleeeze ... let's not even mention Richlite and Rocklite in the same breath, like they had something in common ...

IMO Rocklite Ebano is the future of fretboards and bridges ... the fact it costs double what "real" ebony costs is irrelevant when amortized into the whole cost of the instrument.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Fred
City: Winnipeg
truckjohn wrote:
...Jatoba/Brazilian cherry....

Doesn't work with every wood combination but I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Miguel
Last Name: Bernardo
For classical guitar bridges, padouk or narra are superb choices, if you can live with the color. Macacauba should be fine too.

For fingerboards I'd go with katalox. Another option would be bulletwood (Manilkara)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hard maple, thermally modified at 210 C gets almost black when oiled. I think Gibson is using it. I am going to get some persimmon thermally modified at 210 C just to see what happens. The TM maple route is pretty cheap and should work for both fingerboards and bridges. I have a bit here to experiment with. Persimmon will depend on the cost of the raw wood, but should be reasonable. TM on a per fingerboard basis is pretty inexpensive.

Grant

These users thanked the author Grant Goltz for the post: Alex Kleon (Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:52 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Persimmon moves like crazy in my shop and needs 5 yrs at least to dry out. But then I got it fresh from a sawmill. I like it makes nice bridges and FB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:24 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Gibson used dyed pear on mandolin headstock veneers, front and back, and neck centers too. Probably a matter of availability and $$$.
I preferred African Blackwood for guitar bridges. Drop a blank on a saw table, then an ebony blank. No comparison.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Joe
Last Name: McGlynn
City: Scotts Valley
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95066
what about a stabilized (resin infused) wood? It could be dyed even. I've made knife handles out of this kind of material and they hold up really well in the kitchen. I don't know how they would work sonically, but from a durability perspective it seems promising.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:49 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: nigel
Last Name: forster
City: Newcastle upon tyne
Zip/Postal Code: ne12at
Rocklite makes a fine bridge - stiff enough and a lot lighter than ebony. For fretboards it is ok but it really doesn't add a lot of stiffness to the neck. So as well as the rather high cost you might find yourself stiffening a neck with graphite or CF. More time, more cost.

Walnut, maple, pear, some denser pieces of cherry all make a fine bridge, and they don't upset customers if you stain them black. Pear takes dye very well and machines like cheese - it was used for years in the piano trade as an alternative to ebony. It's superior in many ways.

http://www.theluthierblog.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
JoeM wrote:
what about a stabilized (resin infused) wood? It could be dyed even. I've made knife handles out of this kind of material and they hold up really well in the kitchen. I don't know how they would work sonically, but from a durability perspective it seems promising.

How well does stabilized wood glue, Joe? I've been temped to buy some for a rosette, but haven't because of my lack of knowledge.

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
Heck, I've used Mesquite, Pecan, Padook, Bubinga, Ebony, Bocote...
Funny, I've never used Rosewood.

These users thanked the author dzsmith for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
Padauk, the version that is stiff and won't bend for sides, is very hard & resonant. I am currently using it for 'boards and bridges on my less expensive guitars, I can't say enough how much I like it.

These users thanked the author David Newton for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:56 am)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Joe
Last Name: McGlynn
City: Scotts Valley
Zip/Postal Code: 95066
Alex Kleon wrote:
JoeM wrote:

How well does stabilized wood glue, Joe? I've been temped to buy some for a rosette, but haven't because of my lack of knowledge.

Alex

Oh -- that's a good point. I've only used epoxy with it (kind of the only option when you're gluing metal and wood to make a knife handle). You'd probably want to do some experiments to see how HHG and maybe titebond would work. But if we can glue oily dense woods successfully, I'd be hopeful this could work.

I've been thinking about it mostly for arsthetics -- like a birdseye maple fretboard that wouldn't show dirt and finish wear.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Black Walnut for me. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

In case anybody is curious, here is what 210 degree C thermally modified hard maple looks like compared to ebony and EIR. Just a light coat of fingerboard oil on one end.

The maple is almost as dark as the ebony, just a bit more browner toned.

Grant

These users thanked the author Grant Goltz for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:59 am) • SteveSmith (Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 am) • gregorio (Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:39 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:22 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Ed
Last Name: Miller
City: Wood Dale
State: Illinois
210 deg. C IS 410 FAHRENHEIT . Cooked or torrified?
Looks pretty good and maple is already a proven material.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Tell us a bit more Grant? Did you do that yourself with the maple?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
You definitely have my interest. Where and how did you "thermally modify" that maple?

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: pkdz (Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am)