Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Anybody know definitively what solvent in CA causes it to melt into lacquer? We've observed this many times in doing CA repairs over nitro, that if the CA is leveled and buffed a day or two after it's applied, a few days later the CA repair has shrunk back below the surface of the lacquer. I'm fairly sure it's not the CA continuing to shrink, but that it's eating into the lacquer underneath.

We have a few questions around this.

-- What's eating the lacquer? I've heard some ca's use acetone, which certainly will eat lacquer, but the brand we use, Starbond, says they don't have acetone.

-- Does viscosity play into it? We've noticed significant "melting" when using thin CA, and little melting with the thick stuff, but not enough to substantiate any theories around that.

-- Does the age of the lacquer play into it? We've noticed more shrinkage with new finishes, but again, not definitive evidence that older finishes are less prone than new.

-- Are solvents or additives used to thicken thin CA, or vice versa?

Worth mentioning that CAs intended for finish repair seem to actually shrink back more than Starbond. Go figure.

Any insights folks can offer are much appreciated. Inquiring minds want to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Ken Jones for the post (total 2): Kbore (Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:19 pm) • Joe Beaver (Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tim
Last Name: Benware
City: Creedmoor
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 27522
Focus: Build
Can't say what causes it. I use Starbond as well (not on nitro) and have added Glu-Boost to my arsenal. It is supposed to be safe on nitro.

These users thanked the author Ben-Had for the post: Joe Beaver (Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:12 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
I only use CA to repair poly finishes, never lacquer and have no issues with shrink back.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Joe Beaver (Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Speaking from experience, Glu-Boost CA Adhesives and Glu-Dry accelerator will melt nitro lacquer finish, especially new finishes. The only safe accelerator that I use is ZAP brand. It will not melt or dull nitro finishes.

These users thanked the author Mike Franks for the post (total 3): Joe Beaver (Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 pm) • Ken Jones (Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:15 am) • Pmaj7 (Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
An additional lacquer-safe CA accelerator is BSI's (Bob Smith Industries) 151/152 accelerator, which has a light hydrocarbon (naptha-based ?) carrier in a pump bottle (we prefer to avoid spray cans...more expensive, and some propellants with cloud lacquer finishes), and is safe on any finish. Look for the 2 ounce pump bottle or 8 ounce refil brown plastic bottle in hobby shops or on Amazon.

Our experience with GluBoost is that - if applied as a light mist - it is safe on lacquer, but a heavy application that leaves the surface damp with excess carrier will dull even well dried lacquer. Very little of the accelerator is needed to get the job done - if any liquid ends up on the surface, it is being applied too heavily and at too close a distance. The trick I learned from one of the gentlemen in the shop was to carefully modulate the spray to minimize the amount of accelerator used - just a bit of mist is required at about twice the distance used for other accelerators.

On lacquer settling - we see this in the shop, but suspect it is as much a surface tension issue with the applied lacquer as it is the lacquer being softened by the CA taking a bit of time to out-gas whatever it picked up from the CA - the lacquer topcoat will flow towards the edge of the repair, requiring additional finish to level even on well-prepared and well cured CA fills. CA can take several days to full harden - especially on a deep repair - so waiting for the fill to fully cure before scraping and sanding helps to minimize settling. If in doubt, try making up a test panel with a variety of CA repairs...try scraping at 20 minutes, a few hours, a day, etc. to see the differences.

Last thought - filing CA drop fills level in areas where a small mill bastard can be used is often easier than scraping, and produces a level surface quicker. The CA debris loads the file up, but that cleans out well with carding of the file.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 3): Joe Beaver (Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 pm) • Ben-Had (Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 am) • Ken Jones (Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 am)