Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
I second the idea of starting with a HF workbench. It's got a bottom shelf, 4 drawers, and a rough-and-ready woodworker's vise on one end. Not bad at all to start with, and it's inexpensive and gets the process started. I found that experience with shop stuff (tools, lighting, benches, storage) changes my perceptions and I found no use in preplanning; I'm not marrying the stuff, and what doesn't work, having tested it, will be replaced with something more usable. Meanwhile, I'm working. I bought a HF bench a year ago and while it's by no means optimum, it sure is nice for the price. Better stuff can approach an order of magnitude more costly. I solved my problem of surface damage by using a hunk of 5/8" plywood setting on top of the bench if I'm doing any cutting or risking damage to the bench top. Nice to have a bench top to draw on, and the wandering piece of plywood affords that. Spend your money on tools to get work done, and lighting. And sticking the bench in the middle of the workspace right under my sunglasses-needed lighting gives me utility exceeding the size of the bench. I find it real nice to be able to work on all four sides of the bench. These are my opinions, and reflect my values and priorities. Everybody's different, with different needs, but I think a hundred and thirty bucks spent on a HF bench won't be wasted. And it is starting with a very modest expense.

Post subject: Re: Guitar workbench
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
This is my latest iteration of my main working bench. It's very solid and about 30" x 60". The drawer units are from various shop cabinets I've built over the years that I've put together as single unit. The drawers contain tools that I use on the bench such as planes, knives, markers, and chisels as well as some supplies. In my latest shop remodel I've gone into overdrive on drawers, I've got 43 now; I've decided it's the best way to keep clutter off of the benches. Still in construction phase here so clutter doesn't count :) I've got a StewMac Ultimate vise on one end which I really like for necks and such ( I would not buy the vise again only because it is so expensive but it does work very well) and a bench vise from Lee Valley primarily for planing. The maple top is from an old work bench I got out of a school shop.

Attachment:
Center Bench 2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I think after 12 years in my shop, I've finally arrived at what works for me for bench space. http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... ilit=bench will get you there.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Funny how shop setups vary with the individual. I put my first shop together almost 30 years ago and I know as soon as I finish the current remodel I will have more new ideas. I suppose there's always room for improvement duh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I grabbed this floor model today from the local woodcraft for 400. This will replace the work mate style bench I was using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Gregor
Last Name: Crothers
State: Ontario
Nice score for 400!

These users thanked the author gregorio for the post: bcombs510 (Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:43 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:53 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Patch
Last Name: Rubin
I also have a big south facing window and am just north of you up in Taos, NM. It's hard to add much to all the great advice here but one thing I'd say is that where you place your bench in relation to the window is pretty important. I have a few dedicated benches in my space, one of those runs L shape along the east wall and the south wall under the window. In the winter I can't use the south bench and I can't use the east bench in the afternoon because the sun is too intense. It is still a good time of year to get a sense of how the sun hits the room through out the day during the winter months.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Chris
Last Name: Wood
City: Chester Springs
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19425
I think it makes sense to start working in the space and see how your needs dictate it develop. I have a cheap woodworker's bench from Grizzly and a bench I built with pine tops from Lowe's. Here are pics of my current shop.

Chris-