Walnut
Walnut

First name: Mike
Last Name: Hasson
City: Glenwood
State: New Mexico
Zip/Postal Code: 88039
Focus: Build
So - I'm new to the forum, and I'm fairly new to the craft in general. I did build an electric guitar for my son about 12 years ago, and have since tackled one acoustic, which is functional if not the world's finest stringed instrument. I've always been a woodworker/do-it-yourselfer. I have a nice shop that serves multiple functions. It is well equipped with both a table saw and band saw, drill press, planner, etc, etc. There are a few tools I want to add soon, like a nice dimensional (drum) sander. My wife knows that my motto in life is "a guy just can not own too many clamps, it's impossible).

However, I'm getting ready to "retire" from the world of regular work and enter a new phase in life where I'll be "working" on things like gardening and all that goes with owning 40 acres of paradise in SW New Mexico, but I'm also setting aside a big chunk of time for building guitars (and maybe a mandolin or a bazouki or even an upright bass if I get so inspired).

So I'm in the process of building a purpose built shop in my barn for guitar building (and guitar playing). It's a 12 foot by 16 foot space (about three meters by about 4 meters for most of the world) with a ceiling a little over 9 feet (three meters). I have a basic plan for a work space at one end and an area for "playing" at the other end. I have a nice southern facing window along one of the long sides. What I really want to know is do any of you have a purpose built workbench for building guitars? Do you feel it's better to have a bench that is along a wall to have access to the bits and pieces or do you like a stand alone bench? Anything you have to say about work benches (or work spaces in general) for the apprentice luthier would be greatly appreciated. I hope this line of questioning can start a good discussion among many of the folks on the forum.

Handlebar Mike
Glenwood, New Mexico

Post subject: Re: Guitar workbench
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Moved over to other post...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:32 am 
Koa
Koa

handlebarmike wrote:
So - I'm new to the forum, and I'm fairly new to the craft in general. I did build an electric guitar for my son about 12 years ago, and have since tackled one acoustic, which is functional if not the world's finest stringed instrument. I've always been a woodworker/do-it-yourselfer. I have a nice shop that serves multiple functions. It is well equipped with both a table saw and band saw, drill press, planner, etc, etc. There are a few tools I want to add soon, like a nice dimensional (drum) sander. My wife knows that my motto in life is "a guy just can not own too many clamps, it's impossible).

However, I'm getting ready to "retire" from the world of regular work and enter a new phase in life where I'll be "working" on things like gardening and all that goes with owning 40 acres of paradise in SW New Mexico, but I'm also setting aside a big chunk of time for building guitars (and maybe a mandolin or a bazouki or even an upright bass if I get so inspired).

So I'm in the process of building a purpose built shop in my barn for guitar building (and guitar playing). It's a 12 foot by 16 foot space (about three meters by about 4 meters for most of the world) with a ceiling a little over 9 feet (three meters). I have a basic plan for a work space at one end and an area for "playing" at the other end. I have a nice southern facing window along one of the long sides. What I really want to know is do any of you have a purpose built workbench for building guitars? Do you feel it's better to have a bench that is along a wall to have access to the bits and pieces or do you like a stand alone bench? Anything you have to say about work benches (or work spaces in general) for the apprentice luthier would be greatly appreciated. I hope this line of questioning can start a good discussion among many of the folks on the forum.

Handlebar Mike
Glenwood, New Mexico

I don't have a purpose built workbench but I have a free standing bench not against a wall. I find it very helpful to be able to use both sides of the bench depending on the process I'm working on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
This feels like deja vu all over again

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Mike
Last Name: Fields
City: Granite Falls
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28630
Focus: Repair
Here's a Stewart MacDonald video with Evan Gluck that has some good tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0noE2TwJ8E