PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:11 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: michael
Last Name: tulloch
City: chelsea
State: Vermont
Focus: Build
I just went through a complete round of coats with EM 9000 water based urethane. FUJI hvlp. Despite all my efforts working through 18 light coats....I continued to have a cratering effect ( numerous small surface of the moon shallow depressions). Temperature of the room, gun and finish in the can, all the same ,round 75 deg F. Careful climate control in spray room. Seemed to flow out of gun just fine.
Has anyone here encountered this (with the em9000), ...the gallon was purchased 6 months ago, and opened for the first time 2 weeks ago.

Thank you.

Michael

These users thanked the author michaeltulloch for the post: Joe Beaver (Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:05 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
If they are little craters, I would suspect fisheyes from contamination. Are you familiar with fisheyes?

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post (total 2): Joe Beaver (Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 pm) • michaeltulloch (Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
I used it once and my wet coats were too thick and I ended up with a blue instrument. But it was smooth without craters. I did read you did light coats which is good. I think 3 mils wet coats is recommended.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: michaeltulloch (Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
I learned the hard way not to pour unused finish back into the can for reuse, and to strain the finish going into the sprayer cup.

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post: michaeltulloch (Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:49 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Ah.....ok. I DO pour the remains of the gun back into the can each time. So this is bad? Every time I use a strainer (paper throwaway pro cones) when pouring the finish to whatever. Also...I've heard of fish eye, but not familiar with it. Looked it up on the web...looks like what I have. Contaminates.....not sure what or where this would be from. No silicone in the shop. Period. Light soap residual from clean up maybe? I had the blue haze with the EM6000 lacquer, but not the urethane. When I go to level sand at whatever point as needed...I finish up wiping with 50/50 water and alcohol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have not used EM6000 but most waterborne coating have a warning similar to this:

"NEVER use stearated sandpaper between coats. Use a quality sandpaper such as 3M 216u or 246u Gold, or wet/dry sandpaper with a small amount of water instead."

The stearated compound applied to the abrasive helps prevent clogging but it is a soap -- which usually is not a problem with solvent based coatings.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post (total 2): michaeltulloch (Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:12 am) • Joe Beaver (Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Michael, how are you faring on your guitar?

I'm always interested in a new finish.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:29 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi Joe; Not a happy ending. Worst finishing experience I've had yet...in 20 guitars. Finish from hell, for me....now after all is said and now done. Just went through the buffing round. Guitar needs to be sanded back to bare wood, neck and body, and I don't have the energy for that. I do not recommend you mess with it. There may be others who have worked with this stuff, and love it. This is just one man's experience here. Epic fail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

michaeltulloch wrote:
Hi Joe; Not a happy ending. Worst finishing experience I've had yet...in 20 guitars. Finish from hell, for me....now after all is said and now done. Just went through the buffing round. Guitar needs to be sanded back to bare wood, neck and body, and I don't have the energy for that. I do not recommend you mess with it. There may be others who have worked with this stuff, and love it. This is just one man's experience here. Epic fail.

Consider a striper, that is what I used when I had to remove the EM9000 from an instrument I finished with it. I bought the stripper at a hardware store. It bubbled the finish right off.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: michaeltulloch (Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
I have had good luck with EM6000. Very pleased, in fact. Wonder what makes 9000 different... I think I'll stick with 6000.

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post: SnowManSnow (Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:41 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

sdsollod wrote:
I have had good luck with EM6000. Very pleased, in fact. Wonder what makes 9000 different... I think I'll stick with 6000.

I gone through a couple of gallons of EM6000. I thought EM9000 was basically the same with a higher solids percentage. It is less forgiving in terms of wet film thickness which is how I ended up with a blue instrument. I never had a catering problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

michaeltulloch wrote:

Thanks for the feed back Michael. I'm going to heed your advice and take that off my list of finishes to try.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:44 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Why? Because one person had a bad experience? I've used it plenty of times. Planning to use again this year. I think if you polled the forum, You would find some that like, some that don't. Most finishing issues are process related. EM 6000 has been around for a while. Target Coatings has a forum where you can ask questions and have them answered by the owner.

The OP's problem appears surface related. Waxy shellac? Sterated paper?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
EM9000 vs EM6000?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:01 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Mike O'Melia , is right...I wanted to stress this is my problem, and not to bash the product. But I'm entitled to a personal opinion, and I believe this particular substance is not good for guitars, ... for me.. For this reason: it does not burn into the coats before. EM6000 does burn in...and for me that was a key factor. I liked EM6000, liked the WB aspect, the quality of the gloss,and the finish itself looked great in the end, but I thought it was too soft at the time, so I moved to the 9000 hoping it would be a similiar product / experience only a harder finish. It was a harder finish, but different in ways I didn't address effectively I guess. The cratering was a HUGE problem...you can look it up, I did, and took steps to alleviate...but to no success. Witness lines...again, I knew early on, but was unable to overcome. Maybe EM6000 with their crosslinker additive might be a good process. Maybe. And finally, again my opinion...the finish itself after buffing....seems unappealing to me, detracting from, rather than adding to the wow factor one hopes to achieve on the final guitar. I do sunbursts mostly... and while 9000 is super clear, it was not a finish that pops.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Mike O'Melia wrote:
Why? Because one person had a bad experience? I've used it plenty of times. Planning to use again this year. I think if you polled the forum, You would find some that like, some that don't. Most finishing issues are process related. EM 6000 has been around for a while. Target Coatings has a forum where you can ask questions and have them answered by the owner.

The OP's problem appears surface related. Waxy shellac? Sterated paper?

Mike

There may be plenty of good reviews out there but thus far, they have eluded me. Since I don't have much of a pioneer spirit, I will need to see a few before I give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I take it back!!! Argh. Posting before coffee. Never a good thing. I saw EM6000, but now I see u said EM9000. So sorry for reading it wrong. I agree. I had read many mixed reviews on EM9000, though I cannot recall the details.

These users thanked the author Mike OMelia for the post: michaeltulloch (Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I remember talking to Jeff at Target. I was curious about the cross linker. But all I got were cagey responses that I could not decipher. I decided he did not think it a useful instrument finish. If u use the cross linker, forget burn in. Maybe that's why.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:08 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thank you Mike......my advise, stay away from EM9000. WB, is not the future.
Good Night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
michaeltulloch wrote:
Good Night.

I have not tried EM9000, but in my case, WB isn't the future because it's both the present and the past. At least for EM6000, which I've been using for six years and am quite happy with.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

Quote:
Good Night.

My advise in regard to WB products is be prepared for a learning curve -- in other words make sure you are using a manufacturers recommended process, especially chemical compatibility. I prefer nitro but have had spectacular results with WB coatings, my fav is from General Finishes. I know of high line builders ($8000+) that swear by their chosen WB products. For me I had to forget what I thought I needed to do, when I got with the WB program all was good.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've done the last few with Nitro but the rest have been done with various Grafted coatings finishes, all WB. They all have many attributes but I still haven't found the perfect one. I thought about biting the bullet and moving to a UV cured finish. But then I noticed the safety precautions you have to take for the UV and the spray, coupled with the $2000+ price tag of a UV handheld. That scared me away, at least for now.

I really appreciate threads like this and all the information that you all so freely share. I'll probably learn about my next finish right here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

General Finishes and Target Coatings make great waterborne products. Note the term: waterborn. That means the finish product is born in a water solvent instead of a volatile solvent. I swear, Enduro Var smells just like polyurethane minus the high solvent odor. It's a Urethane product carried by water. Sort of. The future IS waterborn. And once u figure them out, u will love them. Carcinogens and explosive solvents put use out of reach of average hobbyists (practically). I have had great results with Enduro-Var and EM6000. Figure them out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

EM7000 is the high solids version of EM6000. I believe they are the same thing, never used 7000. If true, I wish they had named it EM6000HS instead. Confusion reigns. And that's their fault. In my mind, Target would do better to use descriptive names. Urethane, acrylic, etc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:06 am 
Walnut
Walnut

A harder final finish for the EM6000...with burn in, would make me happy. I'm curious...What brand / type of WB are the high-end builders using?

Thank you for your opinions, guys...it's been a help..