All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Flame Wamara issue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hey all,
A few years back I bought/swapped for a set of flamed Wamara, Braz ebony, Gombeira, Coracao de negro, or the other names people call it… Its really beautiful but was damaged pretty bad during shipping… the back and sides were all cracked..
I was a little miffed at the time, but in all honesty I did the same thing to someone here myself ,,, shipped inadequately and the set of Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle ended up on the receiving end damaged.. and the recipient was gracious about it .. so pass it on I say.
(I still wake up feeling guilty that… about almost destroying an amazing beautiful and rare set)
I glued up the cracks and put it away… ages ago. I recently was going through my stock, and found this set.
Sadly on one side of the sides, theres is some pitting, and Im afraid these things might snap along the fixed cracks or stem from the pits during bending.. They came kind of thin so I don't think I'll be able to sand out the pits completely..
Its really quite gorgeous and taps like glass, and unlike what I see being sold online as Brown Ebony (under the same latin name) on ebay there aren't any visible pores… its a fantastic coffee brown, and its flamed (both the sides and back).
Apparently it came from Grant Goltz, and I sent an email trying to see if he had a couple sides kicking around (even orphans)… in case these break during bending.
But from an exhaustive online search through tonewood and auction sites… I couldnt find "any"
let alone flamed sets of this..

Does anyone know where some sides of this wood could be found…?
Im thinking of maybe thinning these sides down, and laminating them with some ebony…
but really think this could be made into quite a gorgeous body, and a bit of an unusual body wood apparently..
Anyone have some other ideas.. any input that might help would be appreciated…

Thanks a lot
charle

Post subject: Re: Flame Wamara issue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Fred
City: Winnipeg
Focus: Build
Before I got halfway through reading I thought, 'laminate'.