It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Truss Rods from China
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have been looking at Chinese made truss rods on Aliexpress and they seem rather inexpensive. Has anyone had any experience using these rods? I would appreciate any feedback on this. Understandably, a truss rod is not a place where you want to compromise when building a guitar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:40 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
The design of the import rod is fine -- the reputation of Chinese manufacturing quality control leans toward poor. If you install the 1 in ? that has a weld failure is that worth a few bucks initial savings. I really think you know the answer to your OP.

We use Martin factory rods -- single and two-way, I have not heard of a failure, which makes sense since Martin has no desire to mess with warranty issues.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup,

Once you have had a Chinese made rod snap a weld on a brand new guitar just about to go out you realize that paying a little more for a well made device is worth every penny.

I use the Blanchard rod but have looked at and taken apart the Martin two way rod and it looks great. I'd certainly use it with no concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Has anyone had experience with the Chinese rods? I know in the past people have had issues with rods from various vendors - were they sourced from China?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Terence Kennedy wrote:
Yup,

Once you have had a Chinese made rod snap a weld on a brand new guitar just about to go out you realize that ....

you should have tested it properly before fitting?

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

30-40 bucks is not too much to spend on a Blanchard. I've tried all kinds and once you have to get one out, 40 bucks is cheap for a rod that works. I'd rather buy a good T/R and use mediocre tuners than have Waverly's and a 10 buck T/R.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
I've used around 20 on electrics.
No problems so far.
$6 a pop, 2-day free shipping from Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Denvir
City: Baltimore
State: ON
Zip/Postal Code: K0K 1C0
Martin. If they're good enough for a company that turns out thousands of serious guitars, they're good enough for me.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colin North wrote:
Terence Kennedy wrote:
Yup,

Once you have had a Chinese made rod snap a weld on a brand new guitar just about to go out you realize that ....

you should have tested it properly before fitting?

I did.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): Bri (Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:50 am) • Colin North (Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:14 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, they work great. Until you get the one that doesn't!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
there are 2 basic designs
if you have welding or silver solder on the threaded rod toss them . if there is a mechanical cylinder that is welded to a bar that is a design like martin they are reliable.
so we can call one the Martin style and the other a twist off rod .
The ones I had that snapped were the Stew Mac Hot rod
there was another 2 way design that was to be high end it also snapped
Martin design for me only.

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:16 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Imbler
City: Wichita
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 67204
bluescreek wrote:
there are 2 basic designs
if you have welding or silver solder on the threaded rod toss them . if there is a mechanical cylinder that is welded to a bar that is a design like martin they are reliable.
so we can call one the Martin style and the other a twist off rod .
The ones I had that snapped were the Stew Mac Hot rod
there was another 2 way design that was to be high end it also snapped
Martin design for me only.

John or others: Do you have pictures to explain the two styles? I know it is obvious to you, but I'm not quite sure what to look out for,
thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I can't post pictures I don't know why but the software on this forum never lets me post.
The concept is simple if you see a threaded rod and they attach the active nut to that they are junk
this is a god picture of a proper design

http://www.bitterrootguitars.com/Produc ... hgodSTcMFw

here is one I wouldn't use
http://www.bitterrootguitars.com/Produc ... hgodMRECyA

when you look at the 2 designs you can see how the business end is welded. The weld on the threads is a no no I had used a few in my early days , not from bitteroot but the hot rod and there was one LMI had all failed. I use Martin rods and get them from the same maker.

thi

Co President of ASIA

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: Imbler (Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:54 am)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Imbler
City: Wichita
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 67204
Thanks John, I see what you are saying now,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

Here's the Martin two-way rod very clever design much more secure weld arrangement:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
John - I'm trying to understand why the design of the first truss rod is better than the second one. I take your post to mean that the nut welded to the end of the threaded rod is a weak point in the second rod, but in the first rod isn't the cylinder just a threaded housing covering the end of the the threaded rod and wouldn't that threaded rod end also have a hex fitting welded to it? Maybe I don't understand the design of the second rod.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: Imbler (Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

no it doesn't
look at the open martin rod Ken just posted that is the key there is no weld on the threaded rod.

Co President of ASIA

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: Imbler (Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Lynch
City: Santa Cruz
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
I don't think it's that the weld is on the threads as much as the welds are done on the wrong side of the head to allow for the use of an allen wrench. If it was a straight hex head and the weld was on the far end it would be fine. The rods shown in the picture not only is the weld shown in an unsupported overhang but it is tabbed on in two locations, or worse just the one. Silver solder on that design should work just fine as it doesn't take as much heat and will flow through the whole head. Doesn't really look like any of those welds have good penetration.
FWIW I don't use that style rod but prefer the Benedetto style. Simple and lighter, but it's a whole different concept from the styles you are showing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bluescreek wrote:
no it doesn't
look at the open martin rod Ken just posted that is the key there is no weld on the threaded rod.

How does the hex head in the Martin rod Ken posted drive the threaded rod? Does the end of the threaded rod have a male hex end (or something like that) that fits into the end of the hex head you can't see inside the cylinder so that there's no weld required?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I agree with you Jay. I think there is more than meets the eye.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Cox
My experience with China made stuff like this is that while the "average" quality may be fine enough - there is a lot of fallout that gets shipped. It reminds me very much of USA huge factory quality prior to the 1990's. And you dont know what you have till it fails or doesnt.

I think the root of it is that these things are made in nameless huge factories full of unskilled labor in China. By and large - in the USA and Europe, these things are made in small boutique type shops or one man shop sort of places. Those guys (like Mark Blanchard) have a reputation thats easy to ruin. A few bad units getting out and being blown up on the forum would hurt his business in a major way..

These users thanked the author truckjohn for the post (total 2): Imbler (Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:58 pm) • Tim L (Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:37 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I asked above how the adjustment nut in truss rods in which the nut is housed inside a cylinder drives the threaded rod if the nut is not welded to the end of the threaded rod. I'm interested in knowing the answer because if welding the nut to the threaded rod is a no-no and a potential point of failure, I'm open to switching to a type of truss rod in which the nut is not welded to the threaded rod. Since I don't have x-ray vision that allows me to see what's inside the housing on that type of truss rod and how it works (even more so in photos of truss rods), I emailed StewMac and asked them about the two-way truss rod they sell that's similar to the first one that John provided a link to above.

The StewMac rod: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Truss_Rods/Low-profile_2-way_Truss_Rod.html

The answer I got back is that on the StewMac rod the adjustment nut inside the cylinder housing is in fact welded to the end of the threaded rod. Since their rod has the same potential point of failure as the rods I use now, there's no point in switching to that design based on that potential deficiency. Given that the nut is welded on in the StewMac truss rod, how is one to know that it isn't also true for other truss rods of the same or similar design?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The advantage would be in the supported and enclosed overhang past the threaded block.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I can see how the housing would provide support against lateral loads, but how much lateral load does that part of a truss rod ever see in an acoustic guitar with access through the sound hole? I would say little to none. It seems that the main stress on the weld would be twisting stress from adjusting the rod and I don't see how the housing would help with that.

I asked the StewMac person what the function of the housing is and got this somewhat puzzling reply:
"The sleeve helps the rod stay snug in the channel to prevent any rattling. Since the rods push against each other when being adjusted the sleeves allow a smoother movement than metal to metal contact." idunno Not sure he understood the question.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

Quote:
How does the hex head in the Martin rod Ken posted drive the threaded rod? Does the end of the threaded rod have a male hex end (or something like that) that fits into the end of the hex head you can't see inside the cylinder so that there's no weld required?

The Martin rod is fairly complex in that the part that turns has a hex socket machined in on end, is threaded at the other end plus has a thrust collar stop with brass bearings -- correct more than meets the eye.

Last edited by kencierp on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post: J De Rocher (Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:47 pm)