Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
If you can't get to a class, the videos that Robbie Obrien did show a very easy to follow method. I'm FP a uke and it is easier than I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Well I have decided on what I will do. I am going to use Aqua Coat to fill the pores, then Seal Lac padded on and after a few times with that I am going to use Royal Lac. I talked to the developer and watched Robbie O'Brian's video.
I did some French Polishing , many years ago, when I took a painting and spot finishing class in college.
I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to French Polishing so I bought Robbie O'Brian's French Polishing class and have been watching that. I will be doing tests on scraps before I actually get to the guitar. After talking to the developer I will wait a month after the last Coat of Royal Lac before I buff it out.
Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Sounds like a plan. I'll be watching for some 'all done' pictures.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:46 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leonard
Last Name: Duke
City: Kalamazoo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49001
Focus: Repair
In humid weather I shine two 300 watt halogen lights on the guitar I am spraying to keep it warm. I find out how close I can hold my hand to the light without getting painfully hot and put the guitar the same distance. The light is just one of those cheap things on a stand that every hardware store sells. When the 500 watt bulbs burn out replace them with 300 watts. I spray in front of my garage. To keep overspray off from items in the garage I sometimes close the garage door and run the air hose under the door. That would deal with you explosion concern. Lacquer dries fast enough that dust and bugs are not an issue. Don't be afraid of trying to learn how to use a spray gun. I used to french polish, it is also not that hard to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:41 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Well I have finished the guitar by doing Aqua Coat for filling the pores, then Seal Lac with a pad for a number of coats and then rubbed it out smooth. After that I Used Royal Lac, again with a pad, and used Robbie O'Brian's method of French Polishing. I cut the Royal Lac to half pound cuts. I did finish with 4 coats of one pound cut Royal Lac. Both the Seal Lac and the Royal Lac are Super Blonde.

I know I need to leave the Royal Lac cure for a month and I will do so. Then I have to sand and was thinking of trying to sand to 5000 grit and then buff. Being new at this and just getting the latest Guild publication I see a write up on Royal Lac and the papers they used. However I have not been able to find the Carbonundum P1000 Dri-Lube papers or Abranet in the higher grits. So I am wondering first if someone knows where to get higher grits paper and if it can be used wet or dry.

Secondly I know that once I have the guitar sanded I will need to polish it with different polishing compounds and I could use some suggestions as to what products to use. Also can this be done with a buffer or should it be done by hand? I have both a 5 inch car buffer and a 3 inch car buffer that are variable speeds if that helps.

Some has asked to see pictures of the finished guitar and I would love to show everyone what all their suggestions had added up to with my guitar. However, when I get to that stage I have no idea how to get pictures from my iPhone to show up in this forum. So I will have to research that one also. I am not new to the computer but for some reason reading computer manuals with the language they use I just don't get it.

Once again thanks for any help you can give me.
Chuck