It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi

The neck on my 12 string build will be attached shortly, it is a m+t joint with 2 bolts.

When doing the trial fit the fretboard extension sits really tight against the body.

I'm wondering would I get away with leaving this un-glued?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
I don't glue the extension the wedging action of the fret tags tend to put a slight bow in the FB so the extension compresses nicely against the top. An alternative is to just put a dab of glue still making it easy to remove the neck without causing damage.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

This comes up every so often and basically there are those that advocate for or against it. So you are probably fine either way. Having said that IMHO I view that as a structural part of the joint and I just don't like loose parts. So I glue it. Either way, just make sure it fits tight.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
On one of my early guitars I chased a subtle buzzing sound for quite some time before discovering it was emanating from the area of an unglued fingerboard extension. The pieces were well-mated and appeared to fit together tightly. Just sayin'.

These users thanked the author George L for the post (total 3): Pmaj7 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm) • cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 pm) • bcombs510 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:27 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Farmer
City: Durango
State: CO
huh??

Structural issues aside, I can't imagine getting a decent fret dress on a fret board that was not glued down.
12 strings need all the help they can get IMO.
Regular Titebond releases easily just above room temperature with no top or fingerboard damage. It might be one of the few places it has the advantage over hide glue.

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post (total 2): Clinchriver (Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:30 pm) • cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
FWIW, I follow Hesh's advice of a dime sized puddle of TB under the extension. It's super easy to take off again with just the slightest amount of heat and that fancy SM bridge removal tool. :)

Agreed with David though, I would be worried about the fretting side of things. Maybe put some fall away into the extension frets when leveling them? Hesh and Dave have a technique of putting a layer or two of tape at the end of the leveling beam and then letting the tape ride on the fret above the extension (12 or 14 or whatever) to put some fall away into the extension frets.

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:30 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We glue all extensions that are not bolted down - we have seen an unglued extension act like a reed on a woodwind and buzz against the top when relative humidity changes or age-related changes occur in extension geometry. Like others suggested, we run a bead of glue around the perimeter to provide a 1/4"- 3/8" band of adhesive on the edge - gluing the entire surface of the extension is not necessary and makes removal more difficult.

On milling fall-away into the extension or frets, another approach is to cut a file folder in half at the spine, wrap half around the neck to provide a smooth, uniform surface that will conform to the fret board, then use the other half by folding as necessary to provide the needed shim height. Rest one end of the sanding beam on that shim - it will slide nicely on the cardboard surface without hanging up on anything. Some chalk on the fret board extension or Sanford Sharpie ink on the frets in the extension area will permit monitoring of progress to the desired fall-away.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post (total 2): cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:32 pm) • bcombs510 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Or just don't worry about fall away as it's not needed :D

Woops can-o-worms.

But seriously the first ten or so guitars I built with 'fall away' because the neck angle to body top geometry was not exactly right so I clamped the extension down and voila! Fall away. Yeah I know that's not right but because that drove me nuts I finally figured out how to get the geometry perfect so that relief goes from the nut to the end of the fret board, or it's dead straight by choosing. That to me makes me smile. :) <--- see?

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post (total 2): cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:32 pm) • bcombs510 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Farmer
City: Durango
State: CO
Woodie G wrote:
We glue all extension that are not bolted down - we have seen extensions act like a reed on a woodwind when relative humidity changes or age-related changes in extension geometry. We run a bead of glue around the perimeter to provide a 1/4"- 3/8" band of adhesive on the edge - gluing the entire surface of the extension is not necessary.

You've got good company Woodie G

Collings:
Attachment:
images.jpg

Attachment:
download.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post (total 2): Woodie G (Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:47 pm) • cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Glue it.

I got the idea of a small puddle under the extension from Mario P. Thanks Mario for this and a million other great ideas!

David's comment about having a solid fret plane to level, dress and induce fall-away resonates (pardon the term...;) ) with me too. Loose frets and a unglued extension kills the precision of the fret work.

Woodie's comment about the reed also is indeed a realistic consideration.

George's real world experience with a vibrating extension should get folk's attention or folks like David F., Woodie and I will be billing your customers some day to fix a loose fret board extension.... With that said maybe nix the glue, it will be fine.....

JF's comment I respectfully disagree with. Not all playing styles benefit from fall-away true but a bluegrass guitar with mediums played in a band with a banjo most certainly does.

Fret work is a funny thing in so much as most of the time a dread with mediums used for bluegrass need not have perfect fret work. The action is higher, 5 and 7 respectively and the strings being more massive lash out less because of the physics of having more inertia to overcome.

OTOH the finger style player who likes low action and 12's does benefit from fall-away and good fret work too.

Shredders can be fine with a perfectly nearly.... flat fret board, fall-away not required but it doesn't hurt either. That is until the RH changes and it rains outside.

Any bolt on Fender style electric neck is subject to "curling" over time at the end. We call this "ski ramping" and see it every day. It's the opposite of fall away and often the single most limiting factor to a great set-up that we encounter. Neck through designs don't see to do this. So in a sense even with electrics with a bolt-on Fender style neck fall-away is important as well if not out right required....

Anyway I believe that Mario also used Elmer's wood glue for that small puddle under the extension.

Lastly only about 20,000,000 guitars have been built without fall-away so JF is right it's not always required but it can at times be necessary for certain playing styles and when that pesky banjo is around and you need to be heard. :)

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'd say glue it for sure. You avoid a source of unwanted noise, allow more accurate fret dressing, and I think it acts as an additional brace preventing head bock rotation.

This was brought home to me when I was doing a neck reset on a bolt on neck. I got it perfect so the angle was good under string load without gluing the extension. Then I glued the extension and it did not move as much resulting in a saddle that had to be a little higher than I wanted.

I usually put a line of glue along the edges and end about 1/4" wide.

Drop off? I usually try to get the amount under no tension that will result in a straight or very slightly dropped off extension under string load.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post (total 2): DannyV (Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:51 pm) • cablepuller1 (Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:34 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I just glued the fretboard extension for the first time. I had never had issues with buzzing or hearing the overhang vibrate on the top, but when I thought about how much work I put into have a flat fret plane (prior to putting relief in myself), it didn't make sense not to control it.

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: cablepuller1 (Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
I use 4 drops of this https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/elmers-was ... AqXS8P8HAQ

There's no need to glue the heck out of it and this glue releases very easy with minimum go heat.

I often don't glue them down till I'm ready for final set up. Nothing wrong with playing the heck out of them for a couple of weeks.

Good Luck! Let's see some photos.

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: cablepuller1 (Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:04 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
If you have to play notes above the 14th or 12th fret body join (As I do on occasion) you may find that the notes are somewhat "dead" with an unglued extension. I have a couple where I left the extension unglued thinking I might want to rework the neck and have noted that problem. Probably not an issue for most.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: cablepuller1 (Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:05 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
If you are going to do a bolt on neck to facilitate future neck resets, why not bolt the fretboard extension as well? It isn't that much more work, compared to releasing a glue joint. I see that if you are doing a glued neck joint, gluing the extension makes sense. Sorry for going off topic here!

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post: cablepuller1 (Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Murray
Last Name: MacLeod
City: Edinburgh
In the real world, guitars are subjected to stresses such as knocks (sideways ) to the headstock, which are much more effectively counteracted by a glued down FB extension rather than by the impact being sustained purely by the shoulders of the neck heel, which would be the case with a floating FB extension.

These users thanked the author murrmac for the post: cablepuller1 (Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
I have pulled a number of gibsons that had the puddle
I also chased a buzz on an unglued fretboard. If you don't glue it you can also bolt the extension not had either way

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: cablepuller1 (Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

I can see how it would be possible for an unsecured extension could cause a buzz if not compressed against the top, if that is the case by all means add some glue or bolts. As for structure let us not forget that arched top guitars have extensions that float above the top as do instruments in the violin family.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post: cablepuller1 (Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:28 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I'm thinking even if an extension is tight against the soundboard on day one, with RH changes don't expect it to stay that way.

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post: cablepuller1 (Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:06 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
I know over the life of a guitar the tendency is for the neck and the heel block to roll forward under tension. It seems to me that a properly glued down fretboard is not just keeping the extesion tight to the top but it also provides a pretty significant brace tying the heel block to the transverse brace that would help to counter that rotation. Has anyone measured the action on a new guitar before and after the fretboard extension is glued down? I suspect even in that case there can be a measurable difference.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 2): DannyV (Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:51 pm) • cablepuller1 (Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:23 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:52 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
I have also had the experience of an unglued, but seemingly tight-fitting fingerboard extension causing a buzz. I agree with the suggestion to do a full bolt-on, bolt-down arrangement. Easy and effective

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

johnparchem wrote:
I know over the life of a guitar the tendency is for the neck and the heel block to roll forward under tension. It seems to me that a properly glued down fretboard is not just keeping the extesion tight to the top but it also provides a pretty significant brace tying the heel block to the transverse brace that would help to counter that rotation. Has anyone measured the action on a new guitar before and after the fretboard extension is glued down? I suspect even in that case there can be a measurable difference.

Yes. See my earlier post in this thread.