Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
Have had this guitar a long time and got it from my dad. Somehow my grandsons horsing around crushed the bass side rim badly.

I was going to cut the crushed area square and fit in a patch, didn't really care if looked good, but wanted to make sure of the sound and playability it had. Great old guitar with a lot of memories, so for me worth the effort. I was going to commission the repair but have decided to do it myself. Particularly after seeing the restoration of one here.

I have decided to go the hard way and just replace the rim. Will take off the top and back, due to looking inside and see loose braces and need a neck set. I am going to remove the neck and then steam the crushed side off of the neck and end blocks. Bend a rim that is close to the same grain as the rest of the guitar. Then strip all the old finish off. then repair worn out fingerboard and frets. Then reset the neck and do a finish. Since I don't have a spray outfit and not going to invest in a rig, I will French polish the thing with Tru Oil.

If those with more experience in restoration have better idea, I would appreciate advice, particularly on the removal of the rim.

I know a long and probably tedious job. But for me therapeutic and have all the time I want to take on the project. This guitar will remain with me and then hand down to grandson who is now serving in the Air Force and will treat it as it should be in the future.

So this will give me some time to work on it and go through a proper set of procedures. One thing I have learned over the years, is one must stick to the for lack of better word now process steps and procedures.

Many of the problems I have seen from new guys and can become a problem for even very experienced pros is getting ahead of steps and then trying to go back and fix the goof. I know from many goofs and getting too fast in the work, and jumping steps.

And yes I know. There are million ways to do things in building and repair. There however, is also a million ways not to do things. And taking rushing through the process and getting ahead of things is one of those things NOT to do

Post subject: Re: 70's OM 15
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: G
Hey Stan,
Welcome back! John Parchem recently posted a repair that sounds similar to what you're tackling. He's posted it on a few fora, one of them here:

viewtopic.php?f=10137&t=48988

I think it may be worth a look , if you haven't seen it yet. Cheers

Post subject: Re: 70's OM 15
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
I read that and plan on going back and getting into my favorites. I am probably going to go with the process I noted, only because of brace and neck issues that need addressed.

Thanks