Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Farmer
City: Durango
State: CO
I'd like to be able to cut thinner slots ocasionally. My 15+? year old LMI blade is marked .023" but measures .024" and has always cut .024" on my set up.
What are those using a relatively recent Stew Mac blade getting?
Anyone have a source for a blade that cuts thinner?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: David
Last Name: Morris
City: Cheyenne
State: WY
Focus: Build
Mine (Stewmac) is about 10 years old, currently measures .024 and gives me .025-.026 slots. Not sure what the original spec's on the blade were back when I bought it but I suspect they were the same as they are now. It has cut a ton of slots and needs replaced as I am finding my slots aren't as snug as they should be.

These users thanked the author davidmor1 for the post: david farmer (Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:28 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
David, I would be tempted to try thinning the set of the teeth, as long as it still cuts clean.
Its not carbide so it will be easy to remove a few thou with some fine emery glued to a flat backer.
Lay it on a flat surface and give it a few strokes.
Thurston Mfg. or Malco make blades but arbor size can be a problem. Many of these may have too many teeth to be ideal in wood.

B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks Brian.
Thurston and Malco have .020" blades I could run with a bushing for 5/8". I might try that if it comes to it. It might be too thin.
I don't want to change my current blade. It works fine for most Jescar wire in Ebony. For softer wood and/or skinnier wire, smaller slots would be better. I was hoping to hear Stew Mac's current blade would cut thinner than.024" (the wire of theirs I still have is thinner). I get burnt out having to make or modify everything. Something off the shelf is what I'm hoping to find.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:37 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I checked mine too, David. It's .024 as well. Bought it a year ago. Interestingly, I use the jescar medium and thin wire (43080 and 37053) and I still have to use the fret barber to get it to press easily with the jaws 2 into a board cut with the SM blade. (I sound like a SM commercial :))

There is a shop locally here that tells me they can make a SM equivalent blade for 40 bucks. I haven't taken the blade out to them so they can see it and confirm, but I plan to.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: dpetrzelka (Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bcombs510 wrote:
There is a shop locally here that tells me they can make a SM equivalent blade for 40 bucks. I haven't taken the blade out to them so they can see it and confirm, but I plan to.

I'd be interested to see how that turns out!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

David I have few blades left that I had Thurston custom make for me. I think they were .0225 or so with a 5/8 arbor. They are $50 USD plus shipping if you are interested. They are thin so need blade stabilizers as well, these blades are 6" so 5" stabilizers are best.

Thanks
Shane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 am 
Koa
Koa

Shane, I'm definitely interested in one. Just let me know how to do the deal. Thanks!

Brad, your blade measures .024, cuts.024" or both? A feeler gauge that size drops right in? I was referring to wire that has a thinner tang/barb, not necessarily thinner crown.

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
david farmer wrote:

Brad, your blade measures .024, cuts.024" or both? A feeler gauge that size drops right in? I was referring to wire that has a thinner tang/barb, not necessarily thinner crown.

It measures .024 and when I'm using the feeler gauges that come with the fret barber I can fit the .024 gauge but not the .026. The slot is somewhere between the two.

If I try with a regular set of feeler gauges I can't fit .025 either.

So my guess is .024573. :D

Hope that helps.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Greg
Last Name: Maxwell
City: Mount Vernon
State: Ohio
I'm using a seven year old SM blade and I get .023 slots. Any runout or vibration in the blade will affect slot size, as will dragging the work back through the blade after the initial cut. I made my fretting table saw from two different machines, mixing parts until I reduced/eliminated runout. I make the cut for each slot and then lift the sled, along with the wood and template, back over the blade so as not to drag the blade back through the cut. By doing these things I reduced my initial cut from .025.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I just dug out the blades. They are .024 as well. I will set one up on the weekend, make a cut and measure the kerf. I will let you know what it ends up as.

Attachment:
Fret Blade.JPG

Thanks
Shane

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Shane Neifer wrote:
David I have few blades left that I had Thurston custom make for me. I think they were .0225 or so with a 5/8 arbor. They are $50 USD plus shipping if you are interested. They are thin so need blade stabilizers as well, these blades are 6" so 5" stabilizers are best.

Thanks
Shane

Shane, I bought one from you some years ago, I just checked my most recent fretboard with feeler gauges and mine cuts a true 0.024". I do use stabilizers with it.

I also bought a fret slotting blade from Thurston maybe 8 or 9 years ago and they gave me the arbor size I asked for (5/8") so not bushings required.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Ken Jones (Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 am 
Koa
Koa

You guys are awesome.

My LMI blade has a .024" body with no set. You would think it would have to cut a little larger but I think with no set, the kerf immediately stabilizes any runout.
Like Greg, I never drag back through the Kerf.
One thing that made a big difference was using a dial gauge for a few minutes and trying a few orientations of blade and stabilizes. one position was dramatically better so I drew a sharpie line through everything and I can assemble it the same each time.

Attachment:
WIN_20170420_08_08_29_Pro - Copy.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
Unless you hold your mouth just right :lol: a kerf made with a tablesaw blade will be bigger than the widest point on the blade because the arbor is rarely perfectly straight and the arbor mounting flange is rarely exactly and square to the blade cut angle. Add to this any warp in the blade and it all adds up to a wider kerf being cut than the blade tooth set as the blade wobbles slightly as it rotates. A blade stabilizer helps with the latter. If you remove the blade and mount it at at different location on the arbor flange "clock" you get a different size kerf so include the arbor location in your registration marks too. It's important to clean/derust the arbor flange on your table saw and measure its runout and then buy a blade with that taken into consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

Mark Fogleman wrote:
Unless you hold your mouth just right :lol: a kerf made with a tablesaw blade will be bigger than the widest point on the blade because the arbor is rarely perfectly straight and the arbor mounting flange is rarely exactly and square to the blade cut angle. Add to this any warp in the blade and it all adds up to a wider kerf being cut than the blade tooth set as the blade wobbles slightly as it rotates. A blade stabilizer helps with the latter. If you remove the blade and mount it at at different location on the arbor flange "clock" you get a different size kerf so include the arbor location in your registration marks too. It's important to clean/derust the arbor flange on your table saw and measure its runout and then buy a blade with that taken into consideration.

That's what I thought too. But that's not what happens on my saw. There are a few thousandths of runout at the blade rim but those don't get added to the kerf width. The blade cuts exactly the blade thickness. I'm sure it's because there’s no set. Even with stabilizers, the blade get's forced straight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
david farmer wrote:

That's what I thought too. But that's not what happens on my saw. There are a few thousandths of runout at the blade rim but those don't get added to the kerf width. The blade cuts exactly the blade thickness. I'm sure it's because there’s no set. Even with stabilizers, the blade get's forced straight.

idunno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

A few years ago I wanted to be able to better control my slots and made a custom stiffener setup so I could run 4" slitting blades that have a 1" arbor on my 5/8 arbor saw. There are so many more options available at that point. I've purchased blades from .018-.022 since and it works great.

Attachment:
fret saws.jpg

These users thanked the author Burton LeGeyt for the post (total 4): bftobin (Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:48 am) • Pmaj7 (Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:15 pm) • david farmer (Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:18 pm) • bcombs510 (Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
Shane Neifer wrote:
I just dug out the blades. They are .024 as well. I will set one up on the weekend, make a cut and measure the kerf. I will let you know what it ends up as.

Attachment:
Fret Blade.JPG

Thanks
Shane

A vote for Shane's. I can only use an outside stabiliser and that's ok.

How you doing my friend!?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Anyone making a blade for a 1" arbor, and larger than 6" diameter?

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

Alex Kleon wrote:
Anyone making a blade for a 1" arbor, and larger than 6" diameter?

Alex

You'd have to ask for a price but Thurston says they can make one up to 8". http://www.thurstonmfg.com/custom-made-products.html

Burton LeGeyt wrote:
A few years ago I wanted to be able to better control my slots and made a custom stiffener setup so I could run 4" slitting blades that have a 1" arbor on my 5/8 arbor saw. There are so many more options available at that point. I've purchased blades from .018-.022 since and it works great.

Attachment:
fret saws.jpg

Burton, the integral bushing is a great idea! You made me realize a .023" bushing would be hard to come by. Yours is the product the lutherie suppliers should be carrying. It leaves all the blade options available to customers but gives them a way to run them on a standard table saw. [:Y:] Do you get enough blade projection on a regular saw with a 4” blade?

These users thanked the author david farmer for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

david farmer wrote:
Burton, the integral bushing is a great idea! You made me realize a .023" bushing would be hard to come by. Yours is the product the lutherie suppliers should be carrying. It leaves all the blade options available to customers but gives them a way to run them on a standard table saw. [:Y:] Do you get enough blade projection on a regular saw with a 4” blade?

Yes- You don't need much for a fret slot and there isn't much to work with, maybe a 1/4 total- I'd have to measure to be sure but I didn't expect to use it for anything else. I can't use the throat plate (or any standard one at least, maybe a dado) but with my fret slotting jig that isn't an issue either.

I have a dream of building a 1/2 size table saw sized like the Hammond Glider but otherwise fairly standard (tilting arbor, sliding fence etc..). It would have the integral sliding table though. I would make the same arbors for that saw. its a dream! Hopefully someday I will have the time, it would be so useful.