Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Is anyone else here going to be attending the show in Portland this weekend? I'm heading south with three guitars to show including one I just strung up for the first time yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of cool instruments and meeting other builders from this part of the world (heavy representation from Oregon).

The show is open to the public Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I have a question for guitar show veterans here. This is my first time exhibiting my guitars and on the very slight off-chance that one of the General Public might wish to part with their hard earned dollars in exchange for one of my guitars, I'm wondering what the best (and worst) option(s) for carrying out a transaction would be. Has anyone here dealt with that situation and have advice? My experience so far is limited to transactions with the people I built guitars for.

Attachment:
NWHMIE postcard .jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: DannyV (Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
Focus: Build
Jay,

That's a nice low-key show, with a lot of variety of instruments, and Cyndy Burton and crew are the best. I like that it's not a glitzy show, though it does attract some great builders. I've shown there 4 or 5 times, but had to drop out this year. I've always had a good time there.

I can't give much advice on payment, having taken only cash or checks from regulars who have visited my tables in the past.

Have fun!

Pat

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

These users thanked the author Pat Foster for the post: pgroneck (Mon May 01, 2017 10:59 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, Pat. I had been wondering if you would be this year there since I saw your name on a previous year's list of exhibitors. Maybe next year.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: bionta (Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
I wish I could make it Jay. It would be great to meet up with you. If you can, try and post a few photos here.

Cheers!

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: J De Rocher (Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You should look into the "square", it turns you phone into a credit card reader. The card reader's free, but they do charge a transaction fee.
I've also had no issues taking checks at shows. But then again I may too trusting.

These users thanked the author Jim Watts for the post: J De Rocher (Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
Focus: Build
I've had great luck selling high dollar items with payment via Venmo (its a PayPal company) - quick money transfers, and no fees.

These users thanked the author dpetrzelka for the post: J De Rocher (Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

DannyV wrote:
I wish I could make it Jay. It would be great to meet up with you. If you can, try and post a few photos here.

Cheers!

Well, Danny, I was so busy at the show that I only got a couple overview shots of the exhibit room.

The show was a lot of fun. A good bunch of builders with strong representation from builders of guitars (classical, steel string acoustic, and some electric), ukuleles, mandolins, and violins. Also builders of banjos, cellos and double basses, marimba, harp, hand drums, and flutes. Several wood suppliers (Danger!). Lots of very nice instruments.

I was surprised by the strong public attendance particularly on Saturday. There was a long line to get in when the show opened at noon and the people kept coming. It got pretty crowded. Lots of people make a point of coming to the show every year and I talked to many people who had driven long distances to come to the show. With the exception of one guy who had a weird somewhat incoherent philosophical axe to grind about the proper pursuit of "true tone" (fortunately, I managed after what seemed like too long a time to redirect his interest elsewhere), everybody was great to talk to. Many of the attendees were really good players and I had a great time hearing my guitars played by a few of them. The show is very well organized and run and the builders who were there were a great bunch. If you are in the area next year, I recommend attending and if you are located within reasonable distance of Portland, you may want to consider showing your work.

Attachment:
Northwest Handmade Musical Instrument Exhibit 2017 -1.jpg

Attachment:
Northwest Handmade Musical Instrument Exhibit 2017 -2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

State: Oregon
Great show this year! I got a couple pics about the same as yours, but didn't have time to do table by table shots, as I was glued to my own table the whole time. This show is such a gem.