PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:48 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
RIP Ramblin Man.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Clinchriver (Sat May 27, 2017 4:07 pm)

Post subject: Re: RIP Gregg Allman
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Focus: Build
Hesh wrote:
RIP Ramblin Man.

Ain't wasting time no more......... I met him when I was in Nashville, I'll have to tell you the tale sometime.

These users thanked the author Clinchriver for the post: Hesh (Sat May 27, 2017 4:15 pm)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
I am very sad...

These users thanked the author sdsollod for the post: Hesh (Sun May 28, 2017 1:01 am)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yeah what a shame. So glad I got to see them play at least once at Red Rocks. Greg's Hammond B3 broke down on stage so he quickly moved over to an electric keyboard. The roadies came on stage and wheeled off the old B3 and moments later wheeled on a new replacement one. Hahahha Can you image traveling around with equipment like that.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 am)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:30 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
i was just reminiscing in the Off-Topic area - I really wish I had seen them in the day. There was a guy on my hall freshman year (fall of 71) from Hoboken, NJ who related that they had played at a combined Senior prom for his high school and several others, a couple of nights before the Fillmore shows were recorded. Can you imagine? I wore out numerous copies of Live at Fillmore and Eat a Peach before digital permanence rescued me.

I didn't see them until 2011. Decent show, very good band.

But I wish I had seen the band that, for a year, was on any given evening possibly the best band on the planet.

These users thanked the author Jim Kirby for the post (total 3): Lonnie J Barber (Mon May 29, 2017 8:31 pm) • Hesh (Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 am) • Clinchriver (Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:17 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I never got to see them but I do recall shortly after the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, aka at the time "the mistake on the lake..." opened I visited.

The place was a joke at the time with very little that interested me. I recall an entire exhibit of early radios.... with bake-o-lite cases which I guess the tie in was that folks listened to rock and roll on these radios. Who cares.... I thought.

Then there was Michael Jackson's clothes...... Sheesh I thought what a waste of time and money to come to this place....

Next I found one of Jimi's hundreds of strats that Fender gave him to play and destroy. Getting better but still not any big shake.

Finally I stumbled across two well worn Les Paul's. One was Duane's and the other was Dickey's and these were the ones used on the Filmore album including that fantastic version of Stormy Monday, an all time favorite of mine. I spent some time checking out the Les Pauls and wish that I knew at that time what I do every day these days, guitar forensics....

It would have been cool to see where the frets where worn and how much even for slide players or look for boost circuits and the like. These two guitars and my love of the Allman Brothers made the trip to the mistake on the lake worth while.... for me.... finally....

The Allmans truly were what we affectionally referred to back in the day as "a happening."

I still listen to the Allman Bros likely weekly and particularly love hearing them on old LPs on my Rega III from back in the day.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post (total 5): Lonnie J Barber (Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 pm) • JSDenvir (Sun May 28, 2017 10:37 am) • Alex Kleon (Sun May 28, 2017 9:10 am) • Jim Kirby (Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 am) • Clinchriver (Sun May 28, 2017 5:43 am)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Shanklin
City: Windsor
State: ON
Saw them in Vancouver in '73. Gregg was so stoned on smack that he had to leave the stage after 2 songs. Half the audience thought the concert was over and left disgruntled. The boys came back after half an hour and played an extended concert. Boz Scaggs was the backup act. Still listen to them on my phone at work.

Bob

These users thanked the author Bob Shanklin for the post: Hesh (Sun May 28, 2017 10:51 pm)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:50 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Victor
Last Name: Seal
City: Osseo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49266
I saw the original band in about 1970 at the Eastowne Theater in Detroit. That is, without a doubt, the best live band that I have 3ver seen.

These users thanked the author violinvic for the post (total 2): Lonnie J Barber (Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 pm) • Hesh (Mon May 29, 2017 8:24 am)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Casey
Last Name: Cochran
City: Gainesville
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30501
We saw a 10 or 11 year old Derek Trucks play Sleepwalk for an ABB sound check. He looked like he couldn't reach the tuners on that SG but it didn't matter because his slide was over the pickups the whole time when they brought him out later in the show for One Way Out.

These users thanked the author Casey Cochran for the post: Hesh (Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 am)