Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Something I tried many years ago was making linings out of bending ply - a.k.a. wacky wood. They worked O.K. but were very ugly. Having run out of my supply of homemade reverse kerf linings and hearing people extol the virtues of solid linings I decided to give them another go. This time instead of leaving them square I routed an ogee profile on them. I think it improved the look dramatically. They were extremely easy to install and bent enough in all directions to follow the edge of the sides. They were easily and quickly made and I can see myself running off a batch of them in the near future.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Focus: Build
Where did you get the whacky woood?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wacky wood is a fairly standard material used by cabinet shops for making curved millwork, reception desks, etc. I got mine free as scrap (as usual). It generally sells for about 50 to 60 dollars a sheet.
It comes in 4X8, 8X4 or 10X4 sheets. If I was doing a production thing I would get a 10X4 (grain direction), rip it to four 60X24 inch pieces and make 60 inch long strips. My method is to rout 2 long edges, rip them off on the table saw, and then rout the piece again. With four pieces you could rout 8 edges and rip 8 edges alternately, so things would go pretty quick. This would give you enough linings for 64 guitars (less than $1 per guitar). Here is a brief explanation of wacky wood from a commercial supplier:

Bendable plywood, also known as Curve-Ply, Flexply, Wacky Wood and Wiggle wood, bending plywood, is normally made out of hardwood imported veneers with the layers all running in one direction, this allows bend-ability to the panel and can be applied on a curved radius. Our stocked bending plywood is manufactured in the United States and distributed throughout the country.
Bending Plywood
Used in variety of cabinet applications, curved furniture parts and fixtures such as displays in department stores, restaurants, commercial buildings and building of spiral stairways. Most times it will be overlaid in a custom application with veneer, high pressure laminate, for finished columns or other rounded or curved radius surfaces.

Bending plywood comes in thicknesses of 3mm, 5.2mm, 9mm, 12mm and 15mm. Panels come in 4’x8′, 8’x4′, 10’x4′ sizes. Bending plywood can also be produces from other species such as ITALIAN POPLAR AND BIRCH WHICH OFFERS A SMOOTH FACE FOR PAINTING OR STAINING.

Talk with a sales representative from 8am to 5pm eastern standard time or email anytime to sales@packardforestproducts.com. Please include quantity, thickness and contact information, including company name and address. Thank You.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for that.

How rigid are the rims? If the wacky wood is really bendy, is the frame still a rigid structure like you'd expect from solid linings? In other words,,does the wackynwood take awa from some of the benefits of solid linings?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:21 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The rims are very stiff, very close , if not equal to solid linings. And they are so much easier to make and install. Installation was as easy as using the typical commercial kerfed linings. If you have a local cabinet shop see if they have some scraps They will give you and give them a try.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: Pmaj7 (Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Like the linings from Ryan the wacky wood linings allow you to bend them in both directions to follow the sides. With finger pressure they can be deflected about 1/2 an inch in 12 inches - more than you would ever need for guitar sides.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I routed and ripped enough for 6 guitars in about 20 minutes using a simple set up - a backing board clamped to the material to allow the router to run along the edge. With a better set up you might be able to double that rate.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:51 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
OK - that looks promising. What glue do you use? Does it work OK with the usual lutherie glues like Titebond?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yes, titebond works fine. The material bending ply is generally made from is Luan (a.k.a. Philippine Mahogany) so any glue compatible for gluing wood works fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
I've got 2/3 of a sheet left. It's called wiggle board here. Sounds like an interesting way to use it!

Alex

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:27 pm 
Koa
Koa

Would the side to be glued to the top or back be all end grain?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

A most excellent question!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yes, it will be end grain. The gluing surface should be great enough that the loss of strength from end grain gluing should not be a problem. Pregluing (sizing) the end grain can minimized the loss of strength.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I made this set of laminated bindings with 1/16" green, blue, red, and black veneers. Thought it was a good idea at the time, but haven't used them yet.

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

That is a colorful set of linings. If you run a bevel around them you could widen the thickness of the lines.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Clay S. wrote:
That is a colorful set of linings. If you run a bevel around them you could widen the thickness of the lines.

I did a round over with a couple of basswood sets, Clay. I've got a few languishing projects, and might use the rainbow set for a padauk SJ.

Alex