Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Focus: Build
I've been using two DeVilbiss suction touch-up guns for many years (the kind with the cup hanging down rather than up). I've had both re-packed and serviced professionally many times but now I think it's time to buy a replacement. Both guns are spitting when the trigger is depressed which is unacceptable and I suspect there are updated versions of these excellent guns available; however I'm out of touch with what's best at this point and would love some expert advice on what to buy. I'm not rich but am willing to spend whatever it takes to get a good tool.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
I have several of the Sharp finex line of guns and really like them. I spray nitro only. They all cost under $125.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
I don't have one anymore, but the Sharpe touch-up gun I owned up into the 90's was perfection. Never a problem. The teflon coated cup made clean-up a breeze, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I picked up an Iwata LPH-300 a decade ago at the recommendation of Joe White and couldn't be happier. An auto body guy used it recently and begged me to let him use it on his next project. What I really like is how little pressure it needs. I usually shoot around 15-20 PSI thanks to the low-volume, low-pressure thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:01 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
My favorite gun for guitars. https://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/p ... epair.aspx

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: jshelton (Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 am)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: john
Last Name: shelton
City: Alsea
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97324
Glen H wrote:
I have several of the Sharp finex line of guns and really like them. I spray nitro only. They all cost under $125.

Thanks for your response. May I ask what tip you're using? Is it 1.4.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
I have the FX1000 and FX3000, and I believe both have 1.4. I normally use the FX1000, the mini, for guitars.

These users thanked the author Glen H for the post: jshelton (Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I bought the Sata mini jet HVLP with the 1.1 tip.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong-I can't seem to get a wide enough spray pattern for my clear coats.

Worked nice for the color coats for my sunbursts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

James Orr wrote:
I picked up an Iwata LPH-300 a decade ago at the recommendation of Joe White and couldn't be happier. An auto body guy used it recently and begged me to let him use it on his next project. What I really like is how little pressure it needs. I usually shoot around 15-20 PSI thanks to the low-volume, low-pressure thing.

Does that gun require a turbine or does it work off a compressor?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
How about a rebuild kit?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:00 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
Brad Goodman wrote:
I bought the Sata mini jet HVLP with the 1.1 tip.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong-I can't seem to get a wide enough spray pattern for my clear coats.

Worked nice for the color coats for my sunbursts.

I used that gun for years. The reason I got that gun is because I spray ukulele. If I sprayed guitars, I'd use a full size gun (which I have as well). That said, I did spray my bass with the Minijet with no issues.

I still refer to the small guns as "jamb guns" because that's what we used them for when spraying cars - door jambs. Sort of tells you why you don't get wide spray patterns. For larger instruments, just overlap more often, which would be the concession to a larger gun.

Of course my Fuji (full size) is where I'm at (yes, for ukulele), and staying.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 am 
Koa
Koa

John, If you like the smaller guns and are only using nitro, the LPH 80 from Iwata might be a very nice gun to consider. I have owned just about every spray gun imaginable starting with the Binks #7 back in the 70's all the way to the Sata guns that became the craze in the 90's and I am sold on the Iwata guns. The design is superior as far as comfort for my hand and for service. Iwata guns are light and while that may seem trivial, my aging trigger hand and arm appreciate that. You could get a LPH80 in a .06 air and fluid setup for any color work and either get another complete LPH80 in a 1.2 or just get the 1.2 air cap, fluid nozzle and needle and switch when necessary. I currently have two LPH80 guns for my color work and three larger style gravity guns for my polyester, isolator and satin urethane finishes. I've been using these five Iwata guns for nine years and have not had a single failure or part replaced. I know of three other builders including James from a previous post above that have chosen to use the same Iwata guns and I am confident that their experience has been the same.

These users thanked the author joe white for the post (total 2): jshelton (Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm) • James Orr (Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:26 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I am also a very happy owner of an Iwata LPH 80 (thanks to Joe White for his recommendation) and although I use it for color work, it is more than capable for larger projects using the 1.2 cap nozzle & needle per Joe's previous post. The LPH 80 is truly a delight to use and is built like a Rolex.

Mike Franks
www.mjfranksguitars.com

These users thanked the author Mike Franks for the post (total 2): James Orr (Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:01 pm) • Rocky Road (Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:37 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Edward Taylor wrote:
James Orr wrote:

Does that gun require a turbine or does it work off a compressor?

Hi Edward. The Iwata guns are conversion guns, meaning they run off of compressor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

James Orr wrote:
Hi Edward. The Iwata guns are conversion guns, meaning they run off of compressor.

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured as much reading the specifications but wanted to be completely sure.
Going to pick one of these up very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
joe white wrote:
John, If you like the smaller guns and are only using nitro, the LPH 80 from Iwata might be a very nice gun to consider. I have owned just about every spray gun imaginable starting with the Binks #7 back in the 70's all the way to the Sata guns that became the craze in the 90's and I am sold on the Iwata guns. The design is superior as far as comfort for my hand and for service. Iwata guns are light and while that may seem trivial, my aging trigger hand and arm appreciate tha

Funny you mention comfort, as I recall having a hard time at first getting used to the "feel" of my Sata Minijet. I got used to it, but really, a full size gun fits better, all the time.

My friend uses a full size Iwata for production, and I have an Airbrush I finally switched to for other projects. Good stuff.

For conversation, I'll more than lean towards gravity feed all the time.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: jshelton (Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm)