It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
So if I understand this -- there is a machine shop in India making these tuners, what's stopping them from marketing/selling on their own cutting out the poster/distributor?

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:04 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Oh No,
They would not have the credibility and marketing contacts that Aquilab has from his 8 years of asking questions on Luthier Forums.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 am 
Koa
Koa

What exactly is wrong with asking questions? Plenty of people do it. I think that's how I learnt. . . . almost 40 years ago. The difference being that I formally studied. It can now be done through books and the internet. No one is in a bubble, discovering how to make a guitar devoid of any input from the rest of the world. Aside from using the forum for commercial reasons( I think he's apologised) what exactly is your objection and why the sarcasm?
As for the machine shop marketing/selling the tuners. They may well be free to do that. Big deal. I'm sure it won't be the first time that it's happened in the world of commerce. Perhaps he's taking the risk, which is his concern.

Last edited by Michael.N. on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 am 
Koa
Koa

jeffhigh wrote:
Can you share some details of your Quality Assurance/Quality Control programme

That's rather impolite. Can't say I've seen much of that on your own website. I wonder why you ask. If you have your doubts then don't buy. No one is forcing you. Of course if you really were interested you could always pm him. No need to beat someone up for having a go. It's poor form.

These users thanked the author Michael.N. for the post (total 2): Clay S. (Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:31 pm) • Darren Perry (Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:50 am)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Last I looked, I was not a manufacturer trying to sell a product on the Forum. I would expect a manufacturer to be proud of their quality control. All we have here is some blurry photos

Questions, sure, but look at the nature of them over the years

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:51 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

If I am intolerant towards Aquilib it is because of his history
He burst onto the scene in 2010 as an amateur luthier and as a tonewood retailer

His business model was to join as many forums as possible, asking the same beginner questions in all of them and promoting his business both on forums (against clear rules) and by spamming members by PM or email.

Many of those questions indicated a lack of understanding of basic wood preparation surprising in someone setting out to supply tonewood.

7 years later he is still expecting to be spoonfed rather than doing his own research, and still promoting his commercial ventures on forums when he knows it is prohibited.

Many of the questions over the years have focused on how to do things cheaper, hence my concern over quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:39 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
At this point, we are just piling on.
I doubt anyone is going to buy the over-priced, clunky-looking tuners, with the easy availability of excellent tuners elsewhere.