Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

It's been at least 8 years since I last built stringed instruments, I had some health issues that made going out to the shop painful. Then once those where gone I had a heart attack, so that kept me out for a bit. In the year I've been making furniture for clients, but I kept telling myself I need to start building instruments again.

I mean I have a ton of money tied up in tools for building, I actually don't need anything other than a new spindle sander and a mini table saw. So just before summer started, I began to pull out tools, in the new shop (Garage that has no had a car in there ever) there is a large side, and a smaller side with a door. So I put a little workbench in there, I already had all my hand planes, scrapers, chisels etc.. in a cabinet. Plus my dehumidifier, vacuum press, tools, jigs, molds, patterns, on and on. I still have a LARGE stack of tone wood, some that when I checked current online prices, I was shocked at much they are worth now!!

Got everything in it's place and then had to difficult decision of what to build first, I have backs and tops joined with sides ready to go, but given how much the dang wood is worth they made me nervous. So after lots of thinking, I'm doing three Tenor Ukes, not much in cost or risk to some very expensive, pretty easy to build, and I have everything to build from scraps :)

I build some molds, a bending jig, have enough for three. Tops are joined, as are backs, one rosette down. All sounds good right....

But then I decided to bend a set of sides last night... About halfway into the waist, I hear the ominous 'Crack!', after some good cussing, which made me feel better. I took stock and realized I should have used the two metal bending sheets, and more water... DOY!!! gaah gaah

I have wood for another two sides, so lesson learned, I guess after so long I'm out of practice. I used to bend sides without a second thought, but now I'm nervous.. laughing6-hehe

Regardless, after a long stressful day, I go and put on my apron, close the door. Put on something acoustic or light (no hard rock), and the world just goes away, I even have air conditioning on that side, so the heat is not an issue. Its like my little zen temple of peace, maybe I need a little sen fountain! :D

Cheers
-Paul-

Patriot Guitars

These users thanked the author Sprockett for the post (total 4): Bobc (Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:30 am) • LanceK (Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:52 am) • George L (Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:01 pm) • James Orr (Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Welcome Back Paul!!!

And good to know you are feeling better too! [:Y:]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
Focus: Build
Good to see you here Paul. The more the merrier. 2004? It's nice to see the return of an original.

About bending sides, It alway has and always will make me nervous.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Very cool! I'm glad you're pursuing this as an outlet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

Joe Beaver wrote:
Good to see you here Paul. The more the merrier. 2004? It's nice to see the return of an original.

About bending sides, It alway has and always will make me nervous.

On original??

Now I feel old laughing6-hehe

I've been building since 2001, stopped around 2009. Lance should remember me, I used to cut inlay for him :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
They say you are only as old as you feel. Wait a minute, I must be ancient!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Welcome back and congratulations on getting your health in check. Here's to years and years and years of more peaceful moments in your new shop.

These users thanked the author George L for the post: bionta (Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:11 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:53 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
PAUL!!!
So glad to se you back man!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:36 am 
Koa
Koa

LanceK wrote:
PAUL!!!
So glad to se you back man!

Thanks Lance, it feels good to be back. It's been calling me, every time I was working on a piece for a client, I kept thinking that I need to start building again...

The voices finally won! bliss

These users thanked the author Sprockett for the post: LanceK (Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You can take the boy out of the luthiers shop, but you can't take the luthier out of the boy... Welcome back!

As for ukes, I'm building one now from mahogany that came from the Martin factory some time in the 1970's incidentally. But anyway I've got this weird little crease right dead center on each waist curve. It's not a crack it's just a little fold. It's a soprano uke so it's a tight little curve. I'm in the finishing phase right now and honestly I don't think they are any easier to build per se than a guitar. It's just a smaller guitar with fewer braces, I suppose if you don't do binding or a rosette or perhaps a few other short cuts then it's easier.

Anyway look forward to seeing pics of your ukes.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: bionta (Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:12 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

jfmckenna wrote:
You can take the boy out of the luthiers shop, but you can't take the luthier out of the boy... Welcome back!

As for ukes, I'm building one now from mahogany that came from the Martin factory some time in the 1970's incidentally. But anyway I've got this weird little crease right dead center on each waist curve. It's not a crack it's just a little fold. It's a soprano uke so it's a tight little curve. I'm in the finishing phase right now and honestly I don't think they are any easier to build per se than a guitar. It's just a smaller guitar with fewer braces, I suppose if you don't do binding or a rosette or perhaps a few other short cuts then it's easier.

Anyway look forward to seeing pics of your ukes.

I have to do Rosettes, its a compulsion :)

At the moment I have two hanging desks I need to deliver next week. Those are the last commissions for the summer, I need a break so I can build some things that I want to build.

I just got a set of bubinga for a baritone, but I'm thinking of sticking with a tenor. I'll post some pics as soon as these desks are done :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
City: Buffalo
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
Welcome back Paul. I remember you well.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498