All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Neck dye tips
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi

Going to dye my mahogany neck a bit darker, just finished sanding it so do I now

- Grain fill, seal, dye
- Grain fill, dye
- Something else

Tried this a few years back and got dark patches on the end grain heel block area.. Looked poor so never tried again

Cheers

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Neck dye tips
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Focus: Build
Garnet Shellac. After all, it is likely how the original you are emulating was done.

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: cablepuller1 (Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:08 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
The one time I stained a mahogany neck, I stained the bare neck wood first and then pore filled over that with z-poxy. When level sanding the z-poxy, I didn't sand all the way back to the wood. I used Behlen Solar-Lux non-grain raising dye wiped on with a paper towel (wearing gloves). On that guitar, I was aiming to match the color of the rosewood back and sides so I did four dye applications to get it as dark as I wanted. I'm sure there are other ways to go about it too.

Regarding the end grain on the heel, it dyed evenly but it did come out a bit darker than the rest of the neck.

Attachment:
Z-poxy pore filling.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: cablepuller1 (Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Min wax wood conditioner, heavy coat of very dark Pore o pac thinned to a creamy consistency, wipe off, burnish in using a power buffer. If memory serves I first saw this method at the Martin factory.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/

These users thanked the author kencierp for the post: cablepuller1 (Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:26 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Joe
Last Name: Beaver
City: Lake Forest
State: California
I've been told Martin uses a darkly stained filler to darken their necks. Not sure how that would work for you.

These users thanked the author Joe Beaver for the post (total 2): WilliamS (Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:10 pm) • cablepuller1 (Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Using a wood conditioner, or alternately a couple of wash coats of blonde shellac, should partially fill the pores of the neck. The end grain will take more of the conditioner or shellac and and then take stain more evenly with the rest of the neck.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For oil finishes on necks Addam Stark told me years ago to actually burnish the wood, sanding to 600 grit or finer and wipe on a dark oil based filler with blue shop towels and wipe smooth. I used the old LMI stuff. Follow with TruOil.

It came out nice and even and a good color.

I am not sure if that technique would work for a sprayed finish, would it be too smooth for the finish to stick? Ken when you burnish the surface after the pore filler can you spray finish right over that?

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:15 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Quote:
Ken when you burnish the surface after the pore filler can you spray finish right over that?

Yes -- I use vinyl sealer, I always wait at least a day before applying lacquer over an oil based product.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/