It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Focus: Build
Does anyone have a sure-fire way to lock the top and back down securely while you mark where the braces will be?

Brads? Rubber bands? Friends?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I just use my hand to hold it. I can see where an excessive arch would be tricky. Rubber band sounds like a good idea to me. FWIW what I do is leave the brace ends long so they stick out real good. Then start with the upper bout by pressing down the back there and aligning everything, then it doesn't matter if it's rising above the lower bout. Once that is done I move down the ladder till I get to the last brace.

I use old bicycle tire tubes as clamps to glue the back on and that would certainly do the trick of holding the back on for you.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Cam clamps over the blocks. Just tight enough to hold the plate.

Attachment:
gage sm (87).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:49 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
johnparchem wrote:
Cam clamps over the blocks. Just tight enough to hold the plate.

Same here. Plus I usually index the top to the neck block with a toothpick in the area under the fret board.

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
A few spool clamps only as tight as needed to hold it all together.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
With rim in mold and flat on a carpet scrap on the bench, we position the plate, then use a #4 and a #62 hand plane (or 2-3 three pound bags of lead bird shot) per end to keep things in place while the pocket locations are marked. The carpet scrap (we use carpet samples from a local carpet dealer) allows the rim to be easily rotated to mark both bass and treble sides.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

Last edited by Woodie G on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
I just have two lead bags that I put on each end while it's flat on the bench...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Clamps for me- carefully! Just enough pressure to seat the brace ends against the rims. 15’ radius.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:48 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
I have a question based on the replies so far. Is everyone placing the top or back on top of the sides and then marking the brace locations on the outside of the sides? I ask because I place the braced top or back on the radius dish braces up and then position the sides (in the body mold) on top and then mark exactly where the braces intersect the inside surface of the lining. To my mind, that eliminates a couple potential sources of error in locating the pockets accurately and no clamps other than gravity are needed because the weight of the body mold holds everything in place fine.

Of course, this wouldn't work with the adjustable mold that Terence shows in the photo above.

Last edited by J De Rocher on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 pm) • Colin North (Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:08 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Jay, that seems like a reasonable way to do it. I typically hold the top or back with a couple of the large rubber bands from Stew Mac and mark on the outside. Its been working for me...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I use solid (laminated) linings so by the time I am marking the brace locations on the rim, I am no longer in the mold. That makes it easier (for me) to mark everything. As demonstrated by the responses here, there are many, many ways to handle this part of the process. You get to pick what works for you and your methods. Threads like this are cool because you never know when you will pick up some little trick that you like better than what you have been doing.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:40 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I use the Robbie Obrien recommended trick of putting small bits of masking tape on the outside just below where each brace will hit. Then I clamp the top or back in place the same as John P. I then mark the braces just inside of the actual brace location on each side and cut with a router. Then use a safe edge file to slowly open up the channel to fit the actual brace width.

I've had good results (little or no gaps) from the very first build so it must be idiot proof. :)

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Bryan Bear wrote:
I use solid (laminated) linings so by the time I am marking the brace locations on the rim, I am no longer in the mold. That makes it easier (for me) to mark everything. As demonstrated by the responses here, there are many, many ways to handle this part of the process. You get to pick what works for you and your methods. Threads like this are cool because you never know when you will pick up some little trick that you like better than what you have been doing.

I'm curious, do you glue the top / back on without the rims in the mold? I used solid linings on a uke recently and thought I could skip the mold while putting on the top (the back was already on) but it did slip a little in the end. Not terribly, but I think I'll keep it in the mold from now on.

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

bcombs510 wrote:
Bryan Bear wrote:

I'm curious, do you glue the top / back on without the rims in the mold? I used solid linings on a uke recently and thought I could skip the mold while putting on the top (the back was already on) but it did slip a little in the end. Not terribly, but I think I'll keep it in the mold from now on.

I do. I use spool clamps for this. Occasionally, I consider putting holes in my molds to allow me to use the spool clamps in the mold but it just seems like too much work to be worth it. There may be some tiny changes in the shape of the rim once I take it out of the mold but I've never noticed and what little there might be would certainly be nothing that concerns me. If I were doing something like falcate bracing where I needed to bring braces between the pin holes, I would be more concerned. . . I use X bracing and lay everything out from the center-line and the neck side of the rim. If the lower bout was a little wider or narrower (or if the tail was a little longer or shorter the bridge still ends up where it was supposed to be. . . This heresy may make some here cringe though so have a grain or two of salt handy when you read this.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:55 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
bcombs510 wrote:
I use the Robbie Obrien recommended trick of putting small bits of masking tape on the outside just below where each brace will hit. Then I clamp the top or back in place the same as John P. I then mark the braces just inside of the actual brace location on each side and cut with a router. Then use a safe edge file to slowly open up the channel to fit the actual brace width.

I've had good results (little or no gaps) from the very first build so it must be idiot proof. :)

I place the assembled sides in the mould on the top/back plates on the appropriate radius dish to mark brace pockets (and the marriage strip which is glued a little over length), same as some others.
A little off topic, but just a comment on
"just inside of the actual brace location on each side and cut with a router"
I would just add to this that I mark the depth I need, and cut the linings with a fine saw from the inside of the ribs at an angle down to the depth mark first before using the router set to depth - stops chipping out the linings.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've been chiseling out the pockets like a sucker and not going through the whole rim. It is still fast enough that I donn't think it would be worth it for me to pull out the router and set it up. But, all this talk about routers makes me realize I should just cut my notches all the way through the rim. That will make it even faster to fit everything!

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

After marking locations I put a straightedge across the rims and mark the boundaries of the pockets, cut on those lines with an Xacto razor saw, and rout out the pocket with a 1/8” bit on the StweMac base. I always leave the side intact. Clean up,with a small chisel if needed. Goes pretty fast, but the final fitting of the braces to the pockets is always tedious for me.

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
I do as Jay, mark both sides of brace with fine pencil marking both top and back before either
is glued to rims. One of the few times I use a dremil is to route the pockets. Set depth, sneek up to
the mark holding short of the sides, a bit more noisie than with a chisel but swift. Easy peasy.
Like what Terrence does, except with a 1/16th bit.
Ken

These users thanked the author Ken Lewis for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:57 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I’m curious about leaving the side material. It goes away when routing the binding ledge anyway, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bcombs510 for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
I leave sometime some of the sides for narrow bindings (e.g. 1.5mm plastic) and leave the braces just short of the ribs/bindings - heard some disconcerting stories about guitars drying out and the braces pushing the bindings loose.
Not sure about how much truth is in them, but better safe than sorry.

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colin North wrote:
I leave sometime some of the sides for narrow bindings (e.g. 1.5mm plastic) and leave the braces just short of the ribs/bindings - heard some disconcerting stories about guitars drying out and the braces pushing the bindings loose.
Not sure about how much truth is in them, but better safe than sorry.

I too have heard of that and wondered if it was a real concern. This is probably why I started leaving some side and lining material. That said, as long as the binding will cover the slot, you can still cut the brace short even if the slot goes through. I suppose that on the back and ladder braces, that would take away the lateral alignment, so you would need to be more careful with your centerline when you glue the plate on.

Also, if you are cutting all the way through the side you want to be careful about blowout.

These users thanked the author Bryan Bear for the post (total 2): Theo (Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 pm) • Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
Not sure if this would work for you, but it works for me because I only build 1 shape/size; I'd just have to make a different template for each size otherwise.

I use a plywood template to mark and glue top & back cross braces (ukulele). The template matches the heel and tail of my outside form, so brace location is always the same. I use the same template to mark the kerfed linings once the rim is on the form, and go from there. Basically, everything is registered off the template.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
bcombs510 wrote:
I’m curious about leaving the side material. It goes away when routing the binding ledge anyway, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the bindings are taller than the depth of the brace pockets :|

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm) • bcombs510 (Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:22 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Fred
Last Name: Tellier
City: Windsor
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: N8T2C6
I found this idea somewhere many years ago and it makes the marking task almost easy. Just position the top or back and hold in position with some weight and mark with this exacto saw along the sides of each brace. Remove the plate and cut the notches with whatever method you prefer.

These users thanked the author Fred Tellier for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 am) • Bryan Bear (Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Fred Tellier wrote:
I found this idea somewhere many years ago and it makes the marking task almost easy. Just position the top or back and hold in position with some weight and mark with this exacto saw along the sides of each brace. Remove the plate and cut the notches with whatever method you prefer.

That's exactly what I do too. And like Terrence I use a Dremel with the Stew Mac base to rout it out and it works like a champ. I use calipers to measure the depth of each brace end and adjust the depth of the bit and or adjust the brace end to fit and it's one stop shop deal.

I like to leave the side wood in place because with my method when gluing on the back I pull the sides in a little bit as I rope up that back and I don't want to accidentally pull it too tight, the brace end would hit the side stopping it right at that point. In fact I insert a 1/32in little shim at each brace end so that when I rout out bindings I can remove it and then I will have some room for expansion.

Otherwise no harm in removing the side wood as long as it isn't greater than the binding depth, at least I can't think of any problem in doing so.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Bryan Bear (Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:12 am)