Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gleason
City: Kurtistown
State: Hawaii
Zip/Postal Code: 96760
Focus: Build
What types of glue are best for gluing up sheets of fiber purling to wood binding sheets? By best I mean best in terms of not releasing when the binding strips are bent later. Generally I only use Titebond Original, but I'm open to other glues. Thanks, Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
I use TB3 for this. I bend in a fox bender with a silicon blanket and it holds up fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: ernest
Last Name: kleinman
City: lee's summit
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 64081
Planning to use PU white gorilla from HD for my next batch of uke herringbone. Used TB3 did not like it, for you in hawaii high heat and high humidity ?? , it may work better there .Fish glue dries hard , is some what flexible has fast tack, but may seperate at higher heating temps/humidity when wet and bent , my .02

These users thanked the author ernie for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:20 am)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

ernie wrote:
Planning to use PU white gorilla from HD for my next batch of uke herringbone. Used TB3 did not like it, for you in hawaii high heat and high humidity ?? , it may work better there .Fish glue dries hard , is some what flexible has fast tack, but may seperate at higher heating temps/humidity when wet and bent , my .02

Ernie, I'm always looking at new ways to do things. :) What did you not like about TB3? Also, what is PU?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

PU stands for polyurethane glue gorilla clear glue ( PU) is for sale aT homeless depot and there are other companies that make PU . It has no water and dries clear an hard I just glued up a 4 piece cocobollo back with it since TB may or may not stick . I find it useful for a lot of little shop jobs . E.G. the metal ferrules came undone from my wood handled parallel jaw clamps. It is very handy better than mixing 2 part epoxy etc. I also use 2 part urea glue UF to do my 2 or 3 part laminating. too cold now. The reason iI don/t like tb3 is A its overpriced. and B doesn/t work well for me in the shop conditions I have in summer , spring and fall its humid here over 60 % in my bsmt and garage . I prefer fish glue from ye olde mill cabinet shoppe in PA ?, IMHO it is more flexible. for me. You have to figure out what works best for you in your area , and your preferred work methods. I have a 30 yr old side table made from Mexican live red oak it was assembled with elmers white glue .Still holding. You have to do your own testing of different glues to find out which ones work best for you. E,G. when I used fish glue from a new batch I tested to see if after drying for 24 rs how long it would take to delaminate , either with a hair dryer, or in my case steam , as fis,h can delaminate in high humidity

These users thanked the author ernie for the post: bcombs510 (Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:01 am)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

PU stands for polyurethane glue gorilla clear glue ( PU) is for sale aT homeless depot and there are other companies that make PU . It has no water and dries clear an hard I just glued up a 4 piece cocobollo back with it since TB may or may not stick . I find it useful for a lot of little shop jobs . E.G. the metal ferrules came undone from my wood handled parallel jaw clamps. It is very handy better than mixing 2 part epoxy etc. I also use 2 part urea glue UF to do my 2 or 3 part laminating. too cold now. The reason iI don/t like tb3 is A its overpriced. and B doesn/t work well for me in the shop conditions I have in summer , spring and fall its humid here over 60 % in my bsmt and garage . I prefer fish glue from ye olde mill cabinet shoppe in PA ?, IMHO it is more flexible. for me. You have to figure out what works best for you in your area , and your preferred work methods. I have a 30 yr old side table made from Mexican live red oak it was assembled with elmers white glue .Still holding. You have to do your own testing of different glues to find out which ones work best for you. E,G. when I used fish glue from a new batch I tested to see if after drying for 24 rs how long it would take to delaminate , either with a hair dryer, or in my case steam , as fis,h can delaminate in high humidity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Makes sense, thanks for the extra detail! Good catch that the OP is in Hawaii. I haven't had issues with TB3 delaminating in the bender. My shop is in the basement and the humidity stays pretty low.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Your lucky , here in KC mo area we have lots of rain, and our bsmt needs a dehumidifier at least 7-8 mo of the year. I would stick with the glues that work for you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like there is not too much experience at how shop made the purling/binding lams perform in the bender. I mostly use TB Original and hide glue in my work, but I have some TB3 around for craft projects and a few builders have mentioned the Gorilla Glue. Unfortunately, once opened, Gorilla Glue goes off the bottle pretty quickly, so I've not worked with it much. May be worth it for making binding and I'll give both a try.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Bob, I've recently had success with CA (Bsi medium) in the Bender. I was actually surprised because it seems brittle. But with the recommendations of a few others I gave it a try gluing bwb purfling (to the beautiful Koa Bindings that you sent me. Thank you!) and it bent fine with no separation at all. (However I did have delaminations on the original layers of purfling that I used)

I have used tb3 and it worked fine. It is kind of expensive and the short shelf life is annoying. It's only like one year. There's no date on it but you can decipher the code by checking with the company.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pat-Thanks. I've had some issues using CA in my vacuum bags, so I prefer glue that gives me a little time to snatch victory from disaster. I have used CA in the past, and you're right that it works. I picked up some Gorilla Glue today, and if that does not work I'll try TB3, and if that does not work I can always go back to CA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
I find the cold hide glue works great for this
I take my purflings glue them up then I use a filler stick on both sides to hold the purflings together during the bending process works for me

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Aloha bob . FYI do you check the weather conditions in your area of hawaii ?I won/t use water based glues at this time here in KC mo it is super cold an and super dry 20- 25% humidity. When I do a glue up with water base e.g. titebond reg The wood swells . and the thin boards cup like crazy before going into the big 38 in woodmaster sander. and it is just a PITA to work in my garage power tool area. Just glued up a 4 piece coco back and its only abt 45 F in there right now, but it looks good . Good luck with your glue up and let us know , how it ended up for you. I also like to make my own DIY binding purfling and rosettes. update the back was done this am at 45 deg f and abt 35% moisture. The Pu gorilla says to dampen the joint ? I never do and in hawaii I wouldn/t either / Your humidity must be high there ?