Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Walnut for Back Braces?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
Is there any reason not to use quartersawn walnut for back braces? ...or kerfing for that matter?

...and what about cherry?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have used walnut for both back bracing and linings. I like to use spruce now but it certainly does work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

State: West Somerset
Well working from first principles:

If you are aiming for a 'live' back, ie one which makes a significant contribution to the sound, then you need to keep the mass down. That means thinner than otherwise back plate, and since the spruces have the highest stiffness to weight ratio, then they will give you least mass in the bracing. If you are not aiming for a live back then it shouldn't matter.

Now linings are another matter altogether! People who know what they are talking about tell us that plenty of mass in the top to side lining is a good thing. You have got to be able to bend it though. Walnut bends OK. I've never tried Cherry so can't comment.

Cheers Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
I would think it would be fine for linings. I did use mahogany for back braces from time to time until I had a back collapse.(lost radius) I now use Spruce exclusively. FWIW

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: ChuckH (Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Andy
Except, you can compensate with height for stiffness. One doesn't need mass to generate stiffness in a brace. In fact mass has little to do with it.

But that said, sure brace away. Backs have been braced with all kinds of woods. Mahogany is common. Walnut is not much different.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Mark
Last Name: McLean
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales
Zip/Postal Code: 2145
Yep - walnut works for back braces. I can tell you this because I have done it once. What more evidence could you need?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

As many of you know, I am an advocate of not only a high radius (10') but laminated back braces of spruce and BRW or Wenge. The BRW is rather thin, and the spruce laminations are there largely to add gluing area to the brace.
My backs were generally around .090" in the center and tapered through the bouts, more at the edges after the box is complete. The braced backs are VERY lively and I have used this laminated back brace system on nearly EVERY guitar I have built since.
It's quite possible that there is a connection between the laminated bracing and the back (or top), that spruce alone does not have, but then, I don't speculate much...

Last edited by Haans on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
Just about any wood can be used for back braces. Mass isn't such an issue on the back. Otherwise we'd be making backs out of spruce instead of rosewood :)

Flattening of radius has nothing to do with the species of bracewood either. More with the species of back wood, how it's cut (flat or quarter sawn), and moisture content when the braces were glued. If you want consistent results, always make sure you dry the wood below the control humidity and acclimate up. If you acclimate from higher humidity down to the control level, the wood will still have more water in it than you'd expect, and can lead to the flattening problem.