Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:10 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
Focus: Build
I need to drill a hole for a pickup jack. The guitar has no hole currently. It has been finished. Would it better to just go ahead and use a brad point bit at the required size or would it be safer to start with a smaller bit and use a step bit to enlarge the hole to the required size? Opinions please...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:20 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Colbert
City: Anacortes
State: WA
I use a 5/16 brad point followed by my stewmac reamer. Expencive but it's a pleasure to use and it does a flawless job.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Ty ... eamer.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
We drill a 3/16" hole with a brad point, then follow with a step drill, opening to 15/32" (12mm). The hole can be carefully completed with a 15/32" twist drill to remove the stepped areas, but it is much safer to use a 15/32" chucked fluted reamer to complete the work. A more expensive but quicker solution is the brad point to start and the Stewart MacDonald tapered reamer sold for this purpose.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Another vote for the tapered reamer. I puckered up an bought one when I saw a picture of a chipped out finish on an expensive guitar, its paid for itself over and over ( I charge an hour of labor to install a pickup including reaming the hole. It was paid for on the second job).

The problem that I have with a step bit is that unless the biggest step is your final size you end up with steps in the end block that you still have to remove with a straight bit or, duh, a reamer....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
Michaeldc wrote:
I use a 5/16 brad point followed by my stewmac reamer. Expencive but it's a pleasure to use and it does a flawless job.

I do the same. Works great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Daniel
Last Name: Petrzelka
State: Washington
I do the same as well—that reamer is one of those investments you never question again. Makes it so easy, and really cuts the risk of a real mess to clean up.

Michaeldc wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Both step drill and reamer are equally kind to delicate lacquer finishes, and any separation will likely occur when the hole is drilled with the brad-point, versus bringing the hole to final size with step drill or reamer. The smaller the hole, the more chance that any delamination will be reamed away as the hole is opened, but the initial hole must be large enough to take the step drill (1/8" minimum) or tapered specialty reamer (1/4" minimum).

If only a few jacks are to be installed, brad-point, step drill (we've found the $12 set of 3 from Harbor Freight works about as well as the single $20 1/8"-1/2" version from Irwin), and 15/32" HSS reamer costs about half of what the StewMac specialty tool does. For a shop routinely engaged in repair work or for a builder fitting pickups on a regular basis, the time saved by using two tools versus three for the job will repay the higher initial cost over the first dozen or so installations.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
You can start by cutting though the finish with the brad point bit in reverse. You won’t get that fast grab that causes the chip out.

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post: powdrell (Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
I've done quite a few with brad point bits and a standard reamer but it's a PITA, there's a real risk of chipping the finish and the hole doesn't fit as well as it should. I finally got the StewMac reamer and now it's a trivial and no stress process - worth it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Sollod
I got it done using a 3/16' bit first, followed by a step drill bit I got from Northern Tool, and then finishing with a 1/2" twist bit. No chips, but I can certainly see that a reamer is a good idea if I do many more...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Gil
Last Name: Draper
City: Knoxville
State: Tennessee
I also use the StewMac reamer and love it. One of the best tools I have bought from SM. Only thing to watch out for is using it on smaller thin body instruments; it's possible to drill into braces since the reamer is so long.