All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Lemongrass
Last Name: Picker
I don't post much as I mostly do the youtube thing. But I wanted to share my first actual stringed instrument build. The concept was for a solidbody acoustic bass, before anyone asks the only reason it has 2 strings is because I only had 2 tuning machines so I had to base the build around that limitation. The only thing with this build I'm not really that happy about is the headstock. Kind of came out looking like a goofy alien bug of some sort. I realize that this is not really a "guitar" but it's in that same vein, sort of.

Body and neck are mahogany cut from the same slab. The slab had been drying for about 7-8 years or so and was ready to be used. The neck is reinforced by a CF rod as I also didn't have a truss rod around. Kind of limited on space too on my backporch but I made it work. 99% of the work was done with traditional japanese woodworking tools. Other 1% was done with an old Dumore drill press for the little tailpiece. I do all my work on my balcony since I don't really have a shop, but it works for what I need. You just have to make the most of what you have. The wife truly appreciates all the shavings and bits staying outside as well.

Other random specs. The fingerboard is Jatoba. Maple headstock extension. Scale length is 30". Neck construction is akin to a cello/double bass.

It was kind of hard to get a good picture of the figuring that is present in the little armrest piece.

My favorite part of this project besides being done was carving the neck. I used my compass plane for the majority of the carve but I didn't have a scraper that was the correct radius/shape to finish out the neck. So I made one with my little die grinder, worked out well.
Random neck carving/scraper making pics ensuing now...

For the amplification part. I used the typical "string over bridge" design ala violin family instruments. But in the back I created a relief that went through the whole body. Over that I added a piece of spruce that was thinned down to about 125 thou and added a little reinforcement piece across the grain. To this I added a K+K mini pickup. The reinforcing plate sits directly below the bridge on the top so the result is that the tone is essentially acoustic but in a solidbody package. One bass player that I let screw around with it said it reminded him alot of an upright. I guess that's a good thing.

Sorry for the blast of pics. Was a really fun project. It's a bit rough but it's no big deal. Just had to make use of the tools that I had available. Thanks for checking it out. Got some other ideas in mind that I might post up when they're done, that'll be a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:50 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Julie
Last Name: Moriarty
City: Punta Gorda
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33950
Focus: Build
Certainly different! So how does it sound?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:14 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Where are the pictures?

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:48 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Jules wrote:
Certainly different! So how does it sound?

I'll try to record a little clip sometime today or tomorrow. It's a pretty fat sound, kind of a blend between a regular fretless bass and if you were playing pizzicato on an upright.

banjopicks wrote:
Where are the pictures?

They're embedded in the original post. I used IMG tags? not sure if that matters?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Mike
Last Name: Tracz
That’s fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to share and with such detail and stunning photos.

I’d love to hear how it sounds too. Please post a link to your YouTube thingy!!!

_Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/mustcreatethings

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Cool!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
I see them now. I'd love to hear it.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leonard
Last Name: Duke
City: Kalamazoo
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49001
Focus: Repair
I like the logistics of that headstock brace piece. Good engineering!
If you like playing it I would consider carving away or adding wood to the headstock until you don't feel like you have to apologize for it. The work of finishing the headstock is much less than the mental pain of being unhappy with one part of such a cool original instrument. The armrest is funny (good funny) because it looks so simple and comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
mistaken post

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the compliments. I couldn't get the time to record a separate soundclip of it. But if you skip to the 24:39 timepoint of the video you can hear it.

These users thanked the author Lemongrasspicker for the post: mountain whimsy (Fri May 25, 2018 12:37 pm)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:37 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
Kudos for the creativity and hand tool approach! Like a bass version of a strum stick!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
That's very cool, thanks for posting about it. I like your idea for amplifying it with the K&K pickups in the hollow on the back. Sounds good in the video.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

mountain whimsy wrote:
Kudos for the creativity and hand tool approach! Like a bass version of a strum stick!

Thanks sir, hadn't thought of a strum stick, now that you've mentioned it I'll never be able to see past that haha!

philosofriend wrote:
I like the logistics of that headstock brace piece. Good engineering!
If you like playing it I would consider carving away or adding wood to the headstock until you don't feel like you have to apologize for it. The work of finishing the headstock is much less than the mental pain of being unhappy with one part of such a cool original instrument. The armrest is funny (good funny) because it looks so simple and comfortable.

That is some good advice. I might do that, honestly it's just the "face" factor that bugs me. Maybe I'll experiment a bit. Thanks sir.