Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
StevenWheeler wrote:
Conor_Searl wrote:
To color the wood I mixed some blue dye (made by color fx) and water.

Just checking, the last time I saw one that bad the customer stained the wood with oil based and shot water based clear over the top. Needless to say, a complete lack of adhesion. I stripped the clear with masking tape and re-sprayed it with nitro.
Keep us posted as you figure this out.

Steve

Will do, I'm going to get a pressure guage for my gun, and do some serious cleaning this weekend and see what happens...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
To be clear, you should not need to break down and clean the entire gun between each coat. Only the aircap and the outside of the tip (as long as your gun doesn't leak and drip...). Any material sealed in the gun should be fine for the time stated by the coating manufacturer and usually only a problem with "hot" 2 part mixes.

Have you tried adding a bit of distilled water as reducer? This would be a slow reducer and give just about the most flow time of anything without getting into glyccols. A few drops per quart can make a big difference with some products.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 am 
Koa
Koa

B. Howard wrote:
To be clear, you should not need to break down and clean the entire gun between each coat. Only the aircap and the outside of the tip (as long as your gun doesn't leak and drip...). Any material sealed in the gun should be fine for the time stated by the coating manufacturer and usually only a problem with "hot" 2 part mixes.

Have you tried adding a bit of distilled water as reducer? This would be a slow reducer and give just about the most flow time of anything without getting into glyccols. A few drops per quart can make a big difference with some products.

Can I Brian? The label on the lacquer says explicitly to not use water and only reduce with "Brite-Tone" reducer.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:16 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: David
Last Name: Ingalls
City: Ashland
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97520
Focus: Build
FWIW, I got curious about Brite-Tone and tried it out to see how it compares with my go-to EM6000. I don't claim to be an expert on spraying and might not even be worthy to clean Brian's gun. I did succeed in finishing one instrument with the stuff but it took quite a bit of material and plenty of level sanding to get a smooth finish that could go through the steps through machine buffing. In fairness, the finish turned out to be very clear with no hint of blue and seems sufficiently hard. My wife took a shine to the instrument so it has remained with us for about nine months and so far has been stable in all respects. I did try using the correct reducer in the prescribed amount in an effort to get it to flow out well using various adjustments to an Iwata conversion HVLP gun. I never found the magic key to make it lay on anywhere near as well as EM6000, but maybe that's just me. After a reasonable attempt, EM6000 remained more attractive. It sprays through my gun without drama, sells for half the price of Brite-Tone, and there's no shipping cost because my local paint store carries it. End of experiment.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Conor_Searl wrote:

Yes, after reading many of the responses it seems the way I clean the gun is not thorough enough.

Since I don't know any better I err on the side of too much. I've been mostly shooting nitro lately but either way I completely disassemble the gun, pull the little filter out of the cup, take the nozzle and needle out, wash everything in DA (for water based) or lacquer thinner (for nitro). Put it back together, shoot some DA and hang it up with DA in the gun. If its going to be a couple of days I drain it and let it dry out. It often takes me longer to clean up that it did to shoot a coat but since I've been doing this I have had absolutely no issues. Brian says it isn't necessary but certainly can't hurt/

I'll make two more comments about your pictures. First, it really doesn't look like your pores are filled. Second, it really doesn't look like its level sanded before you start spraying. With nitro I have learned to spray a coat of vinyl modified sealer as the first coat. With water born (KTM-9) I frequently spray a couple of coats of very thin KTM (1:1) as the first coats - the idea is to really get it to flow into the pores and maybe even be absorbed by the wood itself.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

Freeman wrote:
I'll make two more comments about your pictures. First, it really doesn't look like your pores are filled. Second, it really doesn't look like its level sanded before you start spraying. With nitro I have learned to spray a coat of vinyl modified sealer as the first coat. With water born (KTM-9) I frequently spray a couple of coats of very thin KTM (1:1) as the first coats - the idea is to really get it to flow into the pores and maybe even be absorbed by the wood itself.

I did use pore filler before anything else, but the pores in this wood (black limba) are huge and I kind of like the look of an open pore finish (is this the correct term) so I didn't go crazy on making sure every pore was filled. My intention was that a couple thin coats of clear coat would fill those pores a little more as you suggested although I didn't reduce as much as you do.

And I did sand it level, with 240 grit paper. It was pretty dead smooth other than the open pores.

The finish basically came out of the gun and onto the guitar body exactly as it dried. It flowed a tiny bit in places where it went on a bit wetter but not much.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Conor_Searl wrote:
B. Howard wrote:

Can I Brian? The label on the lacquer says explicitly to not use water and only reduce with "Brite-Tone" reducer.

They don't make any money selling distilled water..... All coatings labels have something to the effect that you must use there proprietary solvents. Because that is what there lab tested it with and it makes them more money. In the end if it is a water based or water clean up then distilled water will work as a reducer and usually a retarder as well. Much like acetone can be used to break the surface tension down on any solvent based coating.

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Conor_Searl (Wed May 30, 2018 11:55 am)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

Okay, so its about 16 degrees celsius here, I meticulously cleaned my spray gun this morning, thinned some of my lacquer with about 5% reducer and proceeded to do some test sprays.

So my gun says 30 PSI max inlet. I'm assuming this is the maximum PSI that should be entering the gun?

Attachment:
30 PSI max inlet.JPG

Here's a picture of my compressor specs

Attachment:
compressor.JPG

My compressor is reading 30 PSI

Attachment:
30 PSI at compressor.JPG

As does the guage at my gun.

Attachment:
30 PSI at gun.JPG

This is what happens when I pull the trigger back all the way and give it a quick spurt.

Attachment:
quick squirt.JPG

Here's when I do a 12 inch pass over about 6 slow seconds...

Attachment:
12 inches over 6 seconds at 30 PSI.JPG

Here's the same thing when I up the PSI to 40, it atomizes a bit better...

Attachment:
same distance and time at 40 PSI.JPG

Here is is at 60 PSI...

Attachment:
same distance and time at 40 PSI.JPG

I even ended up cranking it up as high as it would go. The atomization seemed better at higher PSI, but it was almost like it would explode out of the gun and then peter out.

Any thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Julie
Last Name: Moriarty
City: Punta Gorda
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33950
I recently sprayed kitchen cabinets with Minwax water based poly and had no problems. I've used the gun to spray nitro, shellac, WB dye and WB poly. I'm not super meticulous about cleaning the gun and after 5 years I've had no issues.

Seeing your spray pics I'm thinking either there's something interfering with the delivery of air or finish or the product is bad. When you cleaned the gun, did you use spray gun files to clean out the air holes?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

Jules wrote:
Seeing your spray pics I'm thinking either there's something interfering with the delivery of air or finish or the product is bad. When you cleaned the gun, did you use spray gun files to clean out the air holes?

I soaked the cap in lacquer thinner, then used a plain guitar string to gently move anything out of the holes that didn't come out with compressed air and a tooth brush. The holes were really clean afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dan
Last Name: Smith
City: Round Rock
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78681
You might give the fellow at highline guitars a shout for recommended gun settings.
I shoot nitro: my gun manual says shoot at 35psi at the gun, but I get good results at 15psi.
I assume you tried dialing back the pressure at the gun already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ken
Last Name: Lewis
City: Mt. Pearl
State: NL
Assuming the gun is clean you should have gotten something closer to a usable spray pattern with what you've tried.
Sounds to me that the finish is still too thick. How about taking a sample and keep thinning until it sprays properly. This
may not be a solution but it'll let you know if you will be able to spray the material with your setup. Or not. A simple viscosity
drip cup would be handy to measure the viscosity. Any cured WB material in the tip orifice won't dissolve with most solvents,
has to be mechanically removed. To test, something that's 1.3mm should slide through. I think you earlier said the tip was 1.3mm.
Good luck.

These users thanked the author Ken Lewis for the post: Conor_Searl (Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:15 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ken Lewis wrote:
Sounds to me that the finish is still too thick. How about taking a sample and keep thinning until it sprays properly. This
may not be a solution but it'll let you know if you will be able to spray the material with your setup. Or not.

You may be right, after taking these pictures I went to clean up and had little lacquer left in my cup, just for fun I added about as much water and tried that out, it came out of the gun pretty messy but the droplets all flowed into each other and when it dried it was pretty flat. I'll try again tomorrow with more reducer and see if that solves it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Julie
Last Name: Moriarty
City: Punta Gorda
State: FL
Zip/Postal Code: 33950
Conor_Searl wrote:
I soaked the cap in lacquer thinner, then used a plain guitar string to gently move anything out of the holes that didn't come out with compressed air and a tooth brush. The holes were really clean afterwards.

All those holes have a very specific size that should not be altered in any way. That's why they make files of the same size. A guitar string should only be used if it is the exact size of the hole. Also, you should get into the habit of spraying whatever cleaning solvent you are using through the gun after use, rather than just a soaking.

I haven't read anything here about checking the air cap size against manufacture recommendations. Your thinning experiment caused me to wonder if the air cap you are using is too small for the finish you are using. If all else fails, you may want to switch finishes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Are you using the same air hose that you use for everything else? If you are, it might have oil and moisture and other contaminants in it. Get a hose strictly for the sprayer, and add a moisture trap before the pressure dial at the gun, and one after the dial at the compressor. I got much better results by doing this with my old Wagner conversion gun.

Alex

These users thanked the author Alex Kleon for the post: Conor_Searl (Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:03 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:01 am 
Koa
Koa

Jules wrote:
All those holes have a very specific size that should not be altered in any way. That's why they make files of the same size. A guitar string should only be used if it is the exact size of the hole. Also, you should get into the habit of spraying whatever cleaning solvent you are using through the gun after use, rather than just a soaking.

It was just a thin plain guitar string smaller than the diameter of the air hole. I just used it to push the softened crusties out.

When cleaning yesterday I did spray solvent through at the end that seemed to do a good job.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:03 am 
Koa
Koa

Alex Kleon wrote:
Are you using the same air hose that you use for everything else? If you are, it might have oil and moisture and other contaminants in it. Get a hose strictly for the sprayer, and add a moisture trap before the pressure dial at the gun, and one after the dial at the compressor. I got much better results by doing this with my old Wagner conversion gun.

I'll occasionally use the compressor to brad nail a project together, but it doesn't really get used often. I do have a moisture trap at the gun. But that's a good thought, if further reduction doesn't help I may try that out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

as Jules points out, there are specific items made for cleaning out spray guns...little tiny wire bristled cleaning devices of differing sizes are available. when dealing with lacquers I typically spray a fair amount of thinner through the system into a garbage can with a liner (using the real cheap thinners that are intended to only be used as clean up)...typically leaving the gun parts soaking should only be done between consecutive spray sessions and the gun should be thoroughly cleaned when it's going to be sitting around for longer intervals of time. if using a pressure pot with a dedicated fluid hose, that hose should of course have a lot of cheap thinner run through it and after a period of time said hose should be replaced just to make sure (honestly, this is the retentive side of me that worries about fluid hoses and how they might react to cheap solvents being run through them...as an example one batch of this cheap stuff went unused for over a year and when I did use it something wacky had gone on with it and it ate through nitrile gloves in a second and gave me a chemical burn...lesson learned, don't buy from that supplier ever again!). point being, hoses of all types are intended for use and should be cared for

when being involved in spraying I have an air hose only used for such activities and when not in use is rolled up and connected together via the quick couplers to keep anything from getting into said hose.

These users thanked the author Mike_P for the post: Conor_Searl (Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:16 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Conor_Searl wrote:
Ken Lewis wrote:
may not be a solution but it'll let you know if you will be able to spray the material with your setup. Or not.

You may be right, after taking these pictures I went to clean up and had little lacquer left in my cup, just for fun I added about as much water and tried that out, it came out of the gun pretty messy but the droplets all flowed into each other and when it dried it was pretty flat. I'll try again tomorrow with more reducer and see if that solves it.

water....... distilled water...... said it a while ago.

Also you talk a lot about adjusting air pressure but i never see you mention fluid adjustment. Looking at the pics of what you sprayed I would open up the fluid needle some and keep the pressure at the lower side. The 30 psi max inlet pressure is while operating. Notice in my article I am feeding my gun 80psi static as measured at the gun (my wall regulator was most likely set at 90) but when flowing is about 28 psi......

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Conor_Searl (Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Conor, there is a thread at MIMF about Brite-tone finish, it sounds like people who are using it are getting good results. The thread isn't that old, many of the participants are still active at MIMF, you might want to PM them and ask exactly how they are thinning and shooting the product.

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3711

My first thought when I saw the pictures was to open the fluid needle until you get a really wet runny coat, then close it down a bit. Brian seems to confirm this. Also, in my very limited experience, when I get water born finish on something and it dries it is very hard to get off (my kitchen sink for instance). If you have hardened finish on the needle or the nozzle it still could be your problem. I don't know if lacquer thinner will dissolve it. And again, I don't know if it is correct or not but I've had pretty good luck cutting waterborn lacquer a lot more than 10 percent, maybe 2 or 3 to 1 (lacquer to alcohol).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

B. Howard wrote:
water....... distilled water...... said it a while ago.

Yup, it was your suggestion that gave me the idea.

B. Howard wrote:
Also you talk a lot about adjusting air pressure but i never see you mention fluid adjustment. Looking at the pics of what you sprayed I would open up the fluid needle some and keep the pressure at the lower side.

I had my fluid needle open close to all the way.

B. Howard wrote:
The 30 psi max inlet pressure is while operating. Notice in my article I am feeding my gun 80psi static as measured at the gun (my wall regulator was most likely set at 90) but when flowing is about 28 psi......

So when I pull the trigger halfway and let air flow this it should read 30 PSI? As things are when when I pull the trigger the guage at the gun drops all the way down to 0 PSI.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Conor_Searl wrote:
... So when I pull the trigger halfway and let air flow this it should read 30 PSI? As things are when when I pull the trigger the guage at the gun drops all the way down to 0 PSI.
Whoops thus the results you are getting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

Freeman wrote:
Conor, there is a thread at MIMF about Brite-tone finish, it sounds like people who are using it are getting good results. The thread isn't that old, many of the participants are still active at MIMF, you might want to PM them and ask exactly how they are thinning and shooting the product.

http://www.mimf.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3711

My first thought when I saw the pictures was to open the fluid needle until you get a really wet runny coat, then close it down a bit. Brian seems to confirm this. Also, in my very limited experience, when I get water born finish on something and it dries it is very hard to get off (my kitchen sink for instance). If you have hardened finish on the needle or the nozzle it still could be your problem. I don't know if lacquer thinner will dissolve it. And again, I don't know if it is correct or not but I've had pretty good luck cutting waterborn lacquer a lot more than 10 percent, maybe 2 or 3 to 1 (lacquer to alcohol).

I'll check out that thread Freeman, thanks. I have had success with this product before, both spraying it and even brushing it on a little bit. So I'm sure my problem is my own inexperience. I feel like I made some progress yesterday slowing down and being more methodical in my practicing rather than trying to rush into getting a guitar finished.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Summary: Gun is spitting large drops of finish due to insufficient air flow at the gun.
Solution?: Get more air flowing. You might have a bottleneck in your compressed air delivery/filtration system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Any resolution?