Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:53 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have glued in my x braces , which I always do first, but wanted to get some thoughts on some of the others before I glue them down.

1st the tone bars.... the plans call for them as in the picture... parallel and very close together (at least it feels that way).... is this appropriate? To me it seems one bar right in the middle would be adequate, but i have played around w bracing enough to know

The second question is the popsicle brace. I have been leaving that brace off of my guitars lately, but the 000 has an “elongated” upper bout... is this a situation where it is better installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The Triple O 12 is a large bodied guitar. The tone bars in the lower bout keep it from "bellying" too much. Bellying can cause problems with the action and holding a bridge. I think it needs two tone bars of a reasonable size.
The popsicle brace helps spread the stress of the neck pulling into the guitar, which sometimes cracks the top on either side of the fretboard extension. Some people leave it out. Pick your poison.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:05 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
The StewMac plans that I used for my 000 are long Martin scale. Short Martin scale is 0.50 inches shorter, that means the bridge shifts towards the neck by a quarter of an inch. If I was building a short scale guitar I would move the X, bridge and first tone bar 0.25 and the second tone bar maybe 0.125. You just have to pick something and go for it.

Some of the vintage Martins did not have popsicle braces, when I had my '74 D-18 hot rodded I decided to not have it removed. I put them in every guitar that I build. My understanding of top movement says the upper bout have very little contribution to the sound, I would rather avoid failure. As Clay says, pick yours

This was my first guitar - it is 12 years old now and still my favorite. I didn't know poop when I built it, must have been blind stupid luck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

:) thanks for the advise gentlemen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

As far as the popsicle brace as insurance.
I looked a bit some time ago at the issues that are generally up in t upper bout.
There were a LOT of cracks that happened on the corners of the neck block...
I understand the reason behind the brace but I wonder if something thinner and lighter would do just as well. Even 2 braces that are the correct thickness that are spaced
Apart. I guess it’s basically the same thing at that point

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Focus: Build
the 12 fret guitars had the popsicle brace the 14 fret were the ones without a popsicle brace I have an 1847 2 17 that has the Popsicle and a 39 0=17 that is 14 fret that doesn't

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: SnowManSnow (Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm)