PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:44 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
Kelby wrote:
Brad, your post suggests you are worried about your health. If so, you're getting a lot of bad advice in this thread.

I'm not looking to argue with people. But this is a science, and whether a system is capturing the dangerous particles (which are not visible) is more complex than whether someone subjectively feels their system is doing a good job. The science tells us that there is a certain amount of airflow necessary to capture the dangerous particles. There are formulas that will tell you exactly what kind of system you need to generate that airflow at the tool. Bill Pentz's site has a static pressure calculator that will tell you exactly what system will work given your tools and shop layout.

Things you will quickly learn from Bill's calculator:

(1) There's a big difference between a system that keeps the shop looking clean and a system that keeps your lungs healthy; and

(2) There's just no way to capture the unhealthy stuff without a 5HP cyclone with a 15" impeller and 6" mains. But don't take my word for it -- plug your system into Bill's calculator and see for yourself.

I had a 2-HP cyclone that kept my shop pretty clean. But if I worked all day in the shop, I would wheeze at night and have a few other symptoms. It was not a minor thing -- if my wife was out for the day, she would always be able to tell whether I had worked in the shop much based on my breathing. Since I upgraded to a 5HP ClearVue and made a few modifications to my ductwork based on what I found necessary based on Bill Pentz's calculator, I can work in the shop all day for days in a row without any symptoms.

Math is your friend. Use the calculator.

Good advice. Take the time to learn about REAL dust collection, Bill Pentz's is a good place to start. Oneida used to also have some good information.

After I did the studying I ended up going in the hole to install a real dust collection system instead of upgrading my power tools like I wanted to. It was a good investment in myself and was totally worth it.

Post subject: Re: Dust collector
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

About a year and a half ago my old 1.5HP Oneida with home made external filter (which sucked) took a crap on me and I replaced it with the 5HP Clearview with the two giant filters and it's made an absolutely gigantic difference to the air quality in the shop/house (still working out of the basement).

If I recall correctly it was a bit over $2k for the cyclone, shipping and duct work necessary for everything. Definitely under $2.5k but it was money definitely well spent.

I disagree that you necessarily need an electrician to install it. If you can run a 30A 220 line yourself, you can install the electrical yourself (which is what I did).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Focus: Build
Point taken on the 220v installation for a Clear Vue, Andy. I am OK with run of the mill wiring, but I didn't feel comfortable installing the motor relay myself. Someone with a better feel for those types of things would probably do fine. I was also needing a subpanel installed at the time, so I just had the electrician do it all.

I'll pile on and repeat what I said above: There is an important distinction between handling the nuisance of sawdust and protecting your health. The latter means ramping up your dust collection in a very significant way, whether that is with the brand I use or with something else. Unfortunately, "normal" dust collection efforts don't do much to protect us against fine particle dust.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
Good point
I also run 2 overhead shop filters that take out the bad stuff. amazing what the difference of a few micron can do. Figure you want enough capacity to filter your cubic foot of the shop 10 times an hour. In my case I run 2 when doing a lot of dusty work and one on simpler messed.
Also be sure you clean the filters and filter bags.
My shop filters you a 5 micron filter with a 3 micron bag . If you have a lot of boogers your air is too dirty

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
At the risk of being redundant, you can turn those 3 and 5 micron shop filters into HEPA+ filters at wynn environmental...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

We're digressing a bit now but another tip - the overhead shop filters actually work better if they're under-foot shop filters. It's difficult to find space for them but if you can, they filter a lot more dust down low than they do up in the ceiling.

In fact the ideal setup would have the filter intake low in the room and the filtered exhaust up high.

These users thanked the author Andy Birko for the post: Michaeldc (Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:36 am)