Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: OM X Brace?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
G'day! I've built a number of OM's using the bracing layout off the OLF plan. I wasn't unhappy with any. I'm doing another and looking at the X, it looks pretty pinched at the lower bout. Like 87 degrees. I'm thinking it might benefit having it opened up somewhat. Just curious what others might use, as in how many degrees you have on the lower X of a 15" guitar?

Thanks pals!

Post subject: Re: OM X Brace?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Focus: Build
Have you compared to the Grellier plan?

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: DannyV (Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I tend to open the X up myself. Just be careful and make sure that your bridge wings fit over the x brace. Also plans tend to be over built. It's commonly recommended that you lighten up the specs on almost any plan.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: DannyV (Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: john
Last Name: hall
City: Hegins
State: pa
Zip/Postal Code: 17938
depending on the time period the X brace angle originally was 99 degrees

Co President of ASIA
You Don't know what you don't know until you know it

These users thanked the author bluescreek for the post: DannyV (Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:27 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
My Antes OM plans measure 94.5, my StewMac 000 plans measure 95. The Kinkead plans (sort of an OM'sh thing) are 98. I've built several guitars at 95 degrees and are very happy with them.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post (total 2): DannyV (Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:27 am) • ernie (Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:29 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I don't really measure the angle of the X. I open it to where the legs just cross under the tips of the bridge and keep the crossing of the X about an inch below the soundhole

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: DannyV (Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:27 am)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
It's like everything else, one thing affects the others. As you open the x angle and decrease long grain stiffness, you may gain some bass response, but at the price of some of the benefits long grain stiffness gives, punchiness, crispness, projection etc.

I think the angle definitely has an effect on the overall performance of the system, but it's still less important than top mass/stiffness, brace heigh etc. So any change you percieve will likely be fairly subtle rather than dramatic.

There's certainly no harm in finding out, especially since all the OLF plans tend to have a much tighter angle than most other designs. I know that I've used the external shapes unchanged, but I've changed the x angle so that the top end of the x's rested on the sides rather than butt against the UTB which makes me uncozy...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Following up to my earlier post, I’m measuring 101 degrees off the Grellier plans.

I’ve built 4 from those plans using different woods & scalloping or lack there of & they all have different character.

Sorry that I don’t have any advice since I’ve only built with the 101 angle but I do know that you can get a lot of variation with all the other variables. I’m trying to get my head around them before I start adjusting angles.

Kevin Looker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

meddlingfool wrote:
It's like everything else, one thing affects the others. As you open the x angle and decrease long grain stiffness, you may gain some bass response, but at the price of some of the benefits long grain stiffness gives, punchiness, crispness, projection etc.

I think the angle definitely has an effect on the overall performance of the system, but it's still less important than top mass/stiffness, brace heigh etc. So any change you percieve will likely be fairly subtle rather than dramatic.

There's certainly no harm in finding out, especially since all the OLF plans tend to have a much tighter angle than most other designs. I know that I've used the external shapes unchanged, but I've changed the x angle so that the top end of the x's rested on the sides rather than butt against the UTB which makes me uncozy...

Thanks for the science lesson pal! Always refreshing from my seat of the pants approach. haha

That is one chunky plan for sure. I have to say that with 4 pages it's served me well over the years. My copy is pretty dog eared.

Are you bucking up for the Big Show next weekend?

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: meddlingfool (Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 am)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

klooker wrote:
Following up to my earlier post, I’m measuring 101 degrees off the Grellier plans.

I’ve built 4 from those plans using different woods & scalloping or lack there of & they all have different character.

Sorry that I don’t have any advice since I’ve only built with the 101 angle but I do know that you can get a lot of variation with all the other variables. I’m trying to get my head around them before I start adjusting angles.

Kevin Looker

Thanks Kevin! Pretty nice of that Grellier fellow to offer all those plans up for free. I've built a few L-00's from his plan and I think I'll do a couple more this winter.

And you're right. There's so many variables. I built a number of them with this 87 degree X. 2 using Redwood. Both buyers LOVED them. And they did sound great. Another is a buddies giging companion and I've heard him on stage with a few other guitars one time. He walked away from the pac, but he also opted for the best electronics ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
DannyV wrote:
meddlingfool wrote:

Thanks for the science lesson pal! Always refreshing from my seat of the pants approach. haha

That is one chunky plan for sure. I have to say that with 4 pages it's served me well over the years. My copy is pretty dog eared.

Are you bucking up for the Big Show next weekend?

I'm trying to, we'll see. Everything is still in transit, in the works etc. down now not to days, but mere hours. Hurry postie, hurry!