Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Focus: Build
meddlingfool wrote:
Bryan,

To point 3, you could easily leave the 1/16 short of top and back...

I've thought of that but. . . I radius the rim after the linings go in which are laminated with the side braces. I could easily estimate how much shorter to make them so they are still a tad short when I am done radiusing but I never seem to have my binding/purfling scheme picked out when I make the rim. The rebbates for binding sometimes cut into the first layer of lining and as such the side braces. I need to plan ahead better.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Don't we all...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
I bought a 1933 L-00, black with white pick guard, at a local auction for $41. That's the good new. The bad news is that someone had smashed it over a fencepost or similar, shattered the back into 40 pieces, cracked the top in 6 places from underneath, and taken a piece out of one side. The guitar had side braces made of a very coarse weave cloth, like cheesecloth (not very substantial) that was installed under the lining. The side crack going up in the picture stopped at one of these side braces. So I have been using bias tape installed under the lining and putting in about 6 per side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I have a question, but it necessarily excludes those who use laminated solid linings or reverse kerfed linings. If you use regular kerfed linings, and want to use side braces, it seems to me that this is pretty simple; you just install the side braces at full height (or a slight bit short, if the low RH problem is something you want to guard against) and then install the kerfed linings in shorter sections in between the side braces. I did my last two guitars like that. Does anybody see a problem with that approach? I just think that, with regular kerfed linings, there is little to be gained in trying to use continuous strips.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've done that before and it hasn't seeme to hurt any...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
You could even put in single dentalones over the braces between the kerfed linings of you felt the need to.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:57 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
The only thing I see wrong with that, Don, is that I use cutoff pieces of back or side wood for my little braces. They are typically 60 or 70 thousands thick. If I ran them to the top and then put kerfing (which is much thicker) between them I would probably route thru when I did my binding channels.

My braces are actually a little thicker than the kerfing at its thinnest part so I just taper the ends so they lap over the kerfing. Probably reduces the stress riser some but I'm just doing it to look a little more finished. This kind of shows it but not very well

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
doncaparker wrote:
I have a question, but it necessarily excludes those who use laminated solid linings or reverse kerfed linings. If you use regular kerfed linings, and want to use side braces, it seems to me that this is pretty simple; you just install the side braces at full height (or a slight bit short, if the low RH problem is something you want to guard against) and then install the kerfed linings in shorter sections in between the side braces. I did my last two guitars like that. Does anybody see a problem with that approach? I just think that, with regular kerfed linings, there is little to be gained in trying to use continuous strips.

If all you are wanting is the gluing surface provided by the kerf linings, then you are good.
My thoughts on using the solid was to increase the rigidity of the structure. It is a substantial improvement over standard kerfed linings alone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
Bri—

I hear you on the reasons why you and other folks choose to use solid linings. That’s why I excluded solid lining folks from the scope of the question. You obviously can’t do what I am suggesting and also achieve the added rigidity you seek.

Going onto the side street of solid linings, I guess I would have a question for those who choose to go that route solely for the added rigidity. There’s no doubt that, before the top and back are glued on, using solid linings makes the rim more rigid. However, once the top and back are glued on, can you tell any difference made by the use of solid linings? I could speculate that the closing of the box adds such an amount of rigidity that it overrides any difference between the different types of linings. But, I defer to those who actually build with solid linings. Can you tell a difference after the box is closed?

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Bri (Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:02 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
The guitar I'm currently building gave me the "opportunity" to do a couple let-in side braces. The guitar is a dreadnought and the sections of the sides between the waist and the lower bout were cupped. The cupping was enough that I was worried that level sanding the sides would make them dangerously thin in that area. Someone here mentioned in another thread on side braces that they could be used to flatten cupped or rippled sides. Running the side braces the full width of the sides would obviously have the best chance to flatten the sides so I decided to try making let-in braces with the reversed kerfed lining I'm using. I made vertical grain mahogany braces from off cuts from a neck blank and routed slots in the kerfed lining to fit and it worked. The sides are nice and flat now. The braces are plain looking but they do the job. I left the ends of the braces a bit shy of the edges of the sides.

Attachment:
Let-in side brace.jpg

Before:

Attachment:
Cupped side.jpg

After:

Attachment:
Cupped side fixed.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post (total 2): cablepuller1 (Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:42 pm) • Pmaj7 (Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:55 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Going to bear my soul here.

Not the prettiest build or picture but this is what I've done with good results so far.

The side struts taper down to nothing at the back & are capped with scraps of lining. I could take more time & fashion perfect caps that completely bridge the gaps in the lining but I seriously doubt there would be much benefit besides making it prettier. As you can see, the linings aren't exactly pretty either but the sides are very rigid.

Kevin Looker