All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Side Strut inspiration
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

hi

just looking for a bit of inspiration for an often overlooked part.

Any cool side struts or ideasImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Jay
Last Name: De Rocher
City: Bothell
State: Washington
There was a good discussion of functional considerations regarding side braces in this thread: http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=50109&hilit=side+braces

It made me change my approach for side braces on my guitars.

These users thanked the author J De Rocher for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:31 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Focus: Build
Don't have any photos to share at this time (not at home) but you don't want to abruptly end the struts at the lining because that causes a stress concentration or stress riser.

Kevin Looker

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Looks like the general consensus would be to not have any. That's what I'm taking from this thread when I build mine.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

These users thanked the author banjopicks for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
banjopicks wrote:
Looks like the general consensus would be to not have any. That's what I'm taking from this thread when I build mine.

I think the general consensus is that you should have them and should think about how you install them. I have one of those old Martins that don't have them and it has the infamous key crack. So whether you do little strips of linen, simple pieces of scrap cutoffs from your back (which is what I use) or some elegantly scalloped ones like shown here I think it would be a mistake to omit them.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: cablepuller1 (Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:42 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
banjopicks wrote:

I advocate them or anything that can stop a side crack from propagating. You just don’t want to create another problem.

I’ve been doing fairly heavy stiff side struts like in the photo & feel they benefit the guitar but now I’m starting to rethink them after reading a comment by Bruce Sexauer where he said they can come loose over the years because of the cross grain gluing. He uses the traditional cloth side strips, FWIW.

These users thanked the author klooker for the post: Pmaj7 (Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:08 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I view the side braces primarily as crack stoppers. I used to put four side braces on each side and the braces were about 3/16" thick, butted to the kerfed lining, rectangular in cross section and chamfered a bit on all four edges. After reading the other thread on the topic, I was persuaded that butting the thick-ended side braces to the lining could actually be increasing the risk of cracks if the sides took a good whack. And those would be hard to repair cracks. I wasn't willing to go as far as letting the side braces into the lining so I went with a thinner side brace that's oval in cross section and tapers gradually down to nothing at each end where it meets the lining. The shape and dimensions are based on the side braces in my '51 L-4c. Also based on that thread, I reduced the number of braces to just one in the flat stretch between the waist and the lower bout with the reasoning that that's the weakest section of the sides because of its length and it's flat. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, at least for now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Ed
Last Name: Bond
City: Vancouver
Nice clean work Jay!

My favorite style is where it's incorporated into laminated linings, where the first layer is interrupted by the side struts which go all the way from top to back, then are capped by the next two continuous layers.

Someone here posted a pic of that recently...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post (total 2): Colin North (Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 am) • J De Rocher (Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:42 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Brian
Last Name: McDonald
City: Okanagan Centre
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V4V2H6
I have been doing kind of a hybrid of that method.
Side struts are full depth, solid lining in between and standard kerfed over the lot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bri wrote:
Side struts are full depth, solid lining in between and standard kerfed over the lot.

That's slick. How thick are the struts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
meddlingfool wrote:
Nice clean work Jay!

My favorite style is where it's incorporated into laminated linings, where the first layer is interrupted by the side struts which go all the way from top to back, then are capped by the next two continuous layers.

Someone here posted a pic of that recently...

That’s exactly how I do it. Here is a lousy picture but it is the only one I can find just now. There are pros and cons to every method and this one is no exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

J De Rocher wrote:
Bri wrote:

That's slick. How thick are the struts?

75-80 thou. Usually same as the sides

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Bryan,

What do you see as the downside of that, other than the time it takes?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I used to do side braces but now I only do if the sides are really thin, and I rarely use really thin sides anymore. As others have mentioned, that might be a pretty picture in the OP but it's not a good idea to do it that way. I have direct experience with that as one of my guitars developed cracks right at the end of the side brace. So for me so far it's side brace = 1 no side brace = 0. I'll stick to no side braces ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Anyone bother with side struts when doing laminated sides? I’ve been doing solid linings on the last few following Burton LeGeyt’s tutorial. On the next build I’m doing laminated sides for the first time. I don’t know that side struts / braces are even needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Danny
Last Name: Vincent
This guy wins. Hands down. https://lamehorse.net

These users thanked the author DannyV for the post: cablepuller1 (Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
meddlingfool wrote:
Bryan,

What do you see as the downside of that, other than the time it takes?

1) As you say, it takes more time. That is not an issue for me, not being in a production environment.
2) There is some concern that the cross grain brace may create problems with humidity changes. I'm not sure how likely this is but I suspect that, given the narrow width of the sides, an RH problem that splits them will likely have caused bigger problems with the top and back.
3) It has been proposed that the sides shrinking could cause the braces to push on the plates or bindings because they don't get shorter. I'm not sure how much of an issue that really is.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have been doing the same as J with just one unless the sides are thin although mine go full length and as thick as the linings, with the Linings being segmented.

Bri, that's the first time I've seen your method and I like it! The only thing that seems tricky is keeping the two the exact same height. Any trick to that? Also, being as thick as the sides, do you need to bend them first? Or just use softer wood?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

pat macaluso wrote:
Bri, that's the first time I've seen your method and I like it! The only thing that seems tricky is keeping the two the exact same height. Any trick to that? Also, being as thick as the sides, do you need to bend them first? Or just use softer wood?

I was wondering the same about keeping the heights the same. Looking forward to the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

"Anyone bother with side struts when doing laminated sides? I’ve been doing solid linings on the last few following Burton LeGeyt’s tutorial. On the next build I’m doing laminated sides for the first time. I don’t know that side struts / braces are even needed."

I still sometimes use side tapes on laminated sides. But my method of laminating matched veneer makes the wood act like solid sides so it is still subject to cracking from drops and bumps. I thought about using drywall mesh fabric between the layers in a "rip stop" fashion - but only thought about it and have not done it yet. It seems like it would provide a continuous crack stop to the lay up and not be visible otherwise.

These users thanked the author Clay S. for the post: bcombs510 (Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:05 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

so what thickness would you leave the sides to avoid struts and still be able to bend okay

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:49 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Bryan,

To point 3, you could easily leave the 1/16 short of top and back...

These users thanked the author meddlingfool for the post: cablepuller1 (Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:01 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The type of damage that jfmkenna showed is why you need to inlet the side braces into the liners.

I used to wonder if side braces causing cracks was simply an academic issue, but then I saw to guitars with just that sort of damage. Both were imports, with rather soft B&S wood and tall sides. They had cracks in the 'flat' part of the side below the waist in about the center of the side, that ran right across the brace in either direction.

Side tapes do a pretty good job of stopping cracks from running. It takes something like 50%-60% more force to break a piece of side wood with a tape on it than one that has no tape, from my tests. Usually the tape breaks where the side does, which seems to some to cast doubt on their utility, but, of course, when you see an old cracked guitar you don't know what it took to do the damage. I have seen them stop cracks. The main problem with them is that air and moisture can break down the glue. I use hot hide glue to put them on, which is easier than Titebond and stronger in my tests. THen I shellac them to keep the air away from the tape. We'll find out in 75 yeas or so how well it worked.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 2): BradHall (Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:03 pm) • SteveCourtright (Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:47 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
This is kind of timely. A circa 1886 Benary parlor guitar just arrived and it has four side braces, two on each side - thin pieces of BRW between the top and back kerfing. One of them is about half way around the lower bout, the other on the upper bout near the waist. It very effectively stopped this crack from running any farther

Attachment:
IMG_4571-1.jpg

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: SteveCourtright (Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What I have been doing is ripping 3/4” off each side prior to bending, typically I cut all my own sides to 6”. I shape these 4 pieces in the bender, if I planned far enough ahead I could do my binding at the same time. The open box in my pic used mahogany thined to around .080”.
After end blocks are glued in and an approximate radius is established, the struts are glued. I then cut the bent linings to approximate length and fill in the solid lining between the struts, but the pieces are not cut at 90 degrees due to the dome. I usually just sand in the angle as it is only a degree or two to get a nice fit to the struts. I plan for about a 3/16” proud margin between the 1/2” wide kerfed and the 3/4” wide solid. Maintaining a consistent margin is near impossible but not really that noticeable since you cannot see all the areas at once nor any of the top. A light chamfer or radius sanded in by hand on the inside edge prior to gluing gives a nice final touch. This does make for 20 more pieces to be glued in, but probaby only adds another hour or so in time.

B

These users thanked the author Bri for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:51 am) • J De Rocher (Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:51 pm)